R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-25-2011, 10:24 AM   #2716
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
i just picked up my new cup racer the other night, i'm about 7 hours into the build.

holy crap what a complex little kit, fun as hell to build but so busy.

who designed this car, it's got to be a british guy, only the brits could design something like this lol. i can't wait to finish it and give it a run. it's going to be an oval carpet racer.

i'm serious though, i'd love to know who came up with this car and why would they discontinue something as cool as the cup racer.
HPI is based out of Japan.. so I guess they designed it there. You are right, its a complex little car, but works well too. Sales for the car probably weren't that great, hence the reason for discontinuing it. 4WD M Class kits don't seem to catch on.. most opt for the FWD cars.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:26 AM   #2717
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

yeah i know but this thing screams british.

i'm loving every minute of the odd little build.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:18 PM   #2718
Tech Master

I was really upset to hear that sales of the CR'r weren't doing well and that it's been discontinued. I love my CR'r and have been racing it competively for the past year+. To date I've never seen anyone else race one, I am the only one, yet I consistently get 1st or 2nd in my division w/ this car (competing in the Tamiya Mini class w/ stock motors).

Knowing that they are discontinued I may have to pick up a 2nd one,
they are still available from most online retailers.
eR1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 03:39 PM   #2719
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by eR1c View Post
I was really upset to hear that sales of the CR'r weren't doing well and that it's been discontinued. I love my CR'r and have been racing it competively for the past year+. To date I've never seen anyone else race one, I am the only one, yet I consistently get 1st or 2nd in my division w/ this car (competing in the Tamiya Mini class w/ stock motors).

Knowing that they are discontinued I may have to pick up a 2nd one,
they are still available from most online retailers.
Have no worries, parts will be available for a few years.. HPI is good like that..

It is a shame though. I race mine with other mini 4wd.. Most use abc genetic.. I'll still run it, although I did pick up an ABC Goose rwd.. Very impressed so far on street test.. Will soon track it to see how it does
Old 12-05-2011, 02:09 PM   #2720
Tech Master

Glad to hear parts will be available for a long time,

yeah, i've had my eye on the genetic cars for awhile. They aren't very expensive which is nice.
eR1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:23 PM   #2721
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by eR1c View Post
Glad to hear parts will be available for a long time,

yeah, i've had my eye on the genetic cars for awhile. They aren't very expensive which is nice.
The only down side to those cars is that they don't have an adjustable wheelbase like the Cup Racer.

Tamiya just came up with a 4wd mini called TA05-m four. The shrunk the ta05 and added m chassi arms.. Which IMO is idiotic. M chassis arms are two piece, bulky and don't even have droop setting. It maybe fine for the M05, but when a kit commands $360 street price, it's pretty sad. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Tamiya... Nonethless I don't get this car..
Old 12-05-2011, 02:40 PM   #2722
Tech Rookie

hey all, had i browse through this thread and the most common upgrades ive noticed are axle cups and shaft drive cup.

can anyone recommend any must have upgrades?

thanks in advance!
tumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:31 PM   #2723
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumba View Post
hey all, had i browse through this thread and the most common upgrades ive noticed are axle cups and shaft drive cup.

can anyone recommend any must have upgrades?

thanks in advance!
I race mine and only did functional upgrades which were:
Carbon Towers, Aluminium dampers, sway bars. I'm still using original drive axle cups, although I did glue the nut inside the cup. My front drive shaft cup has yet to break, so if is not broken, don't fix it..
Old 12-07-2011, 03:48 AM   #2724
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raman View Post
I race mine and only did functional upgrades which were:
Carbon Towers, Aluminium dampers, sway bars. I'm still using original drive axle cups, although I did glue the nut inside the cup. My front drive shaft cup has yet to break, so if is not broken, don't fix it..
Thanks for that. Well I won't be racing but I do like to bash HARD. Do the sway bars (front / back or both) make a reallly big difference?
tumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 04:21 PM   #2725
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumba View Post
Thanks for that. Well I won't be racing but I do like to bash HARD. Do the sway bars (front / back or both) make a reallly big difference?
Not really...
Old 12-08-2011, 01:55 AM   #2726
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Had this kit 2 years ago, sold it after a month. Almost perfect scale, complicated build (fun!) but found lots of weaknesses so I got rid of it.

HPI should simplify their next take on the "mini" chassis kits. Consider brushless and Lipo as power plants and could withstand bashing aswell.
Airflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:30 AM   #2727
Tech Master

i gotta agree w/airflow, the car is weak. it's really cool and intricate but weak.
the aluminum hinge pin braces are made from the softest alloy i have ever seen on an rc car. the plastic used in some places is too soft. the gears are garbage. the battery mounting system is weird and not very used friendly.

i really want to like the car, so i'm not giving up on it yet but i don't think i'd buy another hpi product. this was my first and last hpi purchase.

i might try the abc genetic next. but for now i'll try to keep this thing going and if it makes me mad i'll just break out my m03 mini. lol
Old 12-09-2011, 08:24 AM   #2728
Tech Regular

I've upgrade mine with some Hot Racing and GPM parts. I don't recognise any of the above comments as the 6000mAh LiPo fits just fine, only one velcron strip is neccessary to hold the battery pefect in it's place.

With the GPM & Hot Racing parts no weakness is exposed yet and the gears and plastic do hold up well against the Sav÷x BLH-3650 / 7100kV motor...

Old 12-09-2011, 09:39 AM   #2729
Tech Elite

Im not a particular fan of HPI myself and this was and this was my first and only HPI product..

With regards to durability and strength, I race mine all the time and there are plenty of crashes in racing.. car has held up well, have yet to break a single plastic part.. they flex the way plastic parts should

Kaiser: you are right, the hinge pin brace is as soft as butter, I run two on the front (back of gear box)

I have ran it with multiple brushless set ups from 21.5 and 17.5 for racing and down to 8.5 even for bashing. The car handled it just fine. Never had a problem with gearing.

Its not easy for a manufacturer to determine what a basher are going to do with the car.. so if you're droop anything lower than an 8.5 brushless set up in the car, obviously its going to be too much for it.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:38 AM   #2730
Tech Master

i'm racing on a carpet oval with wooden outside walls. i tagged the wall (nothing major, it happens all the time on this little oval) and the rear tierod collapsed (meaning that there's no longer a 4mm gap between the cups).
to me that means that the plastic the cups are made of is too soft.
i'm not bashing at all, running 17.5 oval, pretty mild stuff.

i haven't had trouble with the gears but they are far from nice gears. i mean look at the front and rear diff, looks like some weird stamped peice. like it's corrugated.

i'm going to have some steel hinge pin braces made. i'm not giving up on it, i do like a challenge, but i'm not impressed with the car at all so far.

as for the battery holder, i have some orion rounded lipos that i use in my m03, they fit so tight into that cage that comes with the car. i'm going to ditch the cage system and just velcro the batt in place.