R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-16-2011, 06:53 AM   #2701
Tech Regular

I've finished the build of my new HPI Cup Racer. I've bought a Dutsun Z240 kit and a Lancia Stratos HF body. I've build the car with the short wheelbase (210mm) and mounted the Lancia body. I think it looks great!

'Under the hood of my HPI Cup Racer with Lancia Stratos HF body I've installed a Sav÷x BLH-3650/ 7.100kV brushless motor, a Track Star 60A ESC and Black Magic BM-6514MG servo.

Upcoming weekend I'll take her out for a meeting on a carpet track!

Some images:

Will let you know how it handles on the carpet track!
Old 11-16-2011, 07:31 AM   #2702
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I just checked Tower, and it shows the 240Z in stock. The 510 is discontinued as a "kit" The body is still available.
Bodywerx_rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:20 AM   #2703
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodywerx_rc View Post
I just checked Tower, and it shows the 240Z in stock. The 510 is discontinued as a "kit" The body is still available.
Bodies and parts remain available for quite sometime. Question is what's going on with the kits. Last night I checked the HPI Europe and all kits were discontinued with the exception of BMW 2002 which we never received as a kit.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:04 AM   #2704
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart_Banaan View Post
I've finished the build of my new HPI Cup Racer. I've bought a Dutsun Z240 kit and a Lancia Stratos HF body. I've build the car with the short wheelbase (210mm) and mounted the Lancia body. I think it looks great!

'Under the hood of my HPI Cup Racer with Lancia Stratos HF body I've installed a Sav÷x BLH-3650/ 7.100kV brushless motor, a Track Star 60A ESC and Black Magic BM-6514MG servo.

Upcoming weekend I'll take her out for a meeting on a carpet track!
Well you've overpowered the car, that's almost for sure, and the ESC may be underpowered to handle that motor too.

There are a few carpet setups here on the thread, you really should search them, print them out and take them with you to the track.

I've setup my Porsche pretty well for asphalt after assembling it. Then took it to the local carpet track and found that it was handling pretty bad: it was way oversteered off power and also loose in neutral. So I did the research and reconfigured the car using shanty140's setup. I did not alter everything according to his setup, I'll fiddle around a bit more.

The stock Medium tires do almost have enough traction with some traction compound (LRP had a great effect on them) applied, I also did install the strongest spring into the front diff and so on. I'm yet to try foam tires and the Soft compounds. As I don't want to ruin the scale looks I think I'll stick with the HPI rims and tires too...

For a carpet track with lots o' traffic, I'd install the Traxxas 7336 bumper. If fits pretty well after a bit of craftsmanship and protects much more than the stock bumper.
aSab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:18 PM   #2705
Tech Elite

Default Cup Racer is discontinued

I spoke with HPI today. The cup racer has been discontinued and no update or replacement kit is coming.

Don't go rushin to sell yours yet HPI is pretty good at keeping the parts flowing. Also bodies should be available for a while since the switch also uses it.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:02 AM   #2706
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by aSab View Post
Well you've overpowered the car, that's almost for sure, and the ESC may be underpowered to handle that motor too.
The ESC is 60A continue (250A max), the motor is max. 347Watt (47A). So a 'overhead' of about 20%; this will work!
If the motor is too fast; I'll just handle the trottle more gentle... I'm in control

Quote:
There are a few carpet setups here on the thread, you really should search them, print them out and take them with you to the track.
Found them, stored them... thanks!

Quote:
I've setup my Porsche pretty well for asphalt after assembling it. Then took it to the local carpet track and found that it was handling pretty bad: it was way oversteered off power and also loose in neutral. So I did the research and reconfigured the car using shanty140's setup. I did not alter everything according to his setup, I'll fiddle around a bit more.
Found that also...

Quote:
The stock Medium tires do almost have enough traction with some traction compound (LRP had a great effect on them) applied, I also did install the strongest spring into the front diff and so on. I'm yet to try foam tires and the Soft compounds. As I don't want to ruin the scale looks I think I'll stick with the HPI rims and tires too...
Will test some tires, no traction compound allowed @ our track

Thank you for your tips!
Old 11-21-2011, 12:59 PM   #2707
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raman View Post
I spoke with HPI today. The cup racer has been discontinued and no update or replacement kit is coming.

Don't go rushin to sell yours yet HPI is pretty good at keeping the parts flowing. Also bodies should be available for a while since the switch also uses it.
thats too bad, fun, scaled kit.
kmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:49 PM   #2708
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Was looking to get rid of mine. It has all the important upgrades. Send me a pm if interested.
brettweir78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 11:45 AM   #2709
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmas View Post
thats too bad, fun, scaled kit.
Odd decision in my opinion, then again I don't see their bottom line.. maybe sales were lagging.

Tamiya is coming out with their own 4wd mini, its a pot luck of TA05 with m chassis arms... pricey too $360 street price.

Maybe HPI is heading towards a RWD Mini chassis. They need something because their switch is not very good.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:55 PM   #2710
Tech Adept

Default Civic

could someone please help me: I'm wondering about the Civic body. As there is no LHS in the vicinity, I can't try to fit the wheels that came with my Porsche kit to fit this body.

You know, I just don't want them 6mm rear offset wheels to stick out too much - the visuals could be surely dealt with by adding some spacers, let's say 4mm to the front. But then again, how much wider would the wheels be in the rear as the body cut to the standard line?

So please, shoot me a pic or two by adding some spacers to your rear and front wheels + your Civic body.

thanks+!
Old 11-22-2011, 02:05 PM   #2711
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aSab View Post
could someone please help me: I'm wondering about the Civic body. As there is no LHS in the vicinity, I can't try to fit the wheels that came with my Porsche kit to fit this body.
You know, I just don't want them 6mm rear offset wheels to stick out too much - the visuals could be surely dealt with by adding some spacers, let's say 4mm to the front. But then again, how much wider would the wheels be in the rear as the body cut to the standard line?
So please, shoot me a pic or two by adding some spacers to your rear and front wheels + your Civic body.
thanks+!
The civic runs 0 Offset wheels only. You will be quite a bit wider.
Bodywerx_rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 02:49 PM   #2712
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodywerx_rc View Post
The civic runs 0 Offset wheels only. You will be quite a bit wider.
well I know, that's why I want to see it
Old 11-22-2011, 04:41 PM   #2713
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Why not use 0deg offset wheels in the rear also?
brettweir78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:47 AM   #2714
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettweir78 View Post
Why not use 0deg offset wheels in the rear also?
I'd use them, if I had them. I mean, if those wheels I already own do fit 0mm offset bodies (including aftermarket Mini bodies, which mostly are 0mm offset bodies AFAIK) in an acceptable way, then I wouldn't buy 0mm offsets both for the front and rear.

To be able to decide, I wanted to do some research before buying. I'm also considering the 3mm offsets for the rear, means I had to use less spacers with the Porsche body.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:11 AM   #2715
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i just picked up my new cup racer the other night, i'm about 7 hours into the build.

holy crap what a complex little kit, fun as hell to build but so busy.

who designed this car, it's got to be a british guy, only the brits could design something like this lol. i can't wait to finish it and give it a run. it's going to be an oval carpet racer.

i'm serious though, i'd love to know who came up with this car and why would they discontinue something as cool as the cup racer.