R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-29-2010, 08:14 AM   #1876
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ro.sniper View Post
Do you guys increase ride height by lengthening the shocks?
Typically spring preload is the best way to adjust ride height. If you have stock shocks, put preload spacers above the spring and this will raise the ride height. With threaded shocks, just turn the collar down till you have the desired ride height. Our club requires 5mm minimum ride height and I had to put a decent amount of preload on the springs to bring it up. It drove better with 3mm up front and 5 in the back but I'm not a cheater

Preloading the springs does not change the spring rate, that is determined by the metalurgy of the spring steel used to manufacture the springs. Regarding the shocks though, do make sure they are all the same length. Hope this helps
fox88gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:59 AM   #1877
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox88gt View Post
Typically spring preload is the best way to adjust ride height. If you have stock shocks, put preload spacers above the spring and this will raise the ride height. With threaded shocks, just turn the collar down till you have the desired ride height. Our club requires 5mm minimum ride height and I had to put a decent amount of preload on the springs to bring it up. It drove better with 3mm up front and 5 in the back but I'm not a cheater

Preloading the springs does not change the spring rate, that is determined by the metalurgy of the spring steel used to manufacture the springs. Regarding the shocks though, do make sure they are all the same length. Hope this helps
Sweet! That's how I've been doing it. That was a really good explanation, thanks a lot.

I have a digital calliper so I checked that all my shocks are within 0.1mm of each other of difference.

I saw Hudy has one one these fancy toe/in, caster, camber truing station. Are those worth buying or most people just use a digital calliper, ruler and a protractor?
ro.sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:40 PM   #1878
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I've seen people set up both ways. A setup station like you describe makes it go much quicker (i have a Team Integy one - better price than the Hudy)

They are kind of expensive but when compared to the cost of a car, they aren't much. Another good way to go is find someone at the track with one, they might let you borrow it and show you how it works (thats how it went with me) or get a few guys together to split the cost. If what you are using now works and you are comfortable with it, stick with it. I see many competive racers at our track that dont have a setup station and they do just fine. I try to let people use mine if i'm not using it.

Thanks for the compliment on my explanation. Peace and keep it shiny side up

Jeff
fox88gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 04:04 PM   #1879
Tech Rookie

I got it pretty dialed in... (in my opinion)

Front:

Laydown shocks
Ride height 4mm
50WT oil
2 hole piston
1 degree toe out (big difference from stock)
-1 degree camber

Rear:

Shocks in the inner most hole on stock tower\
Ride height 5mm
2 hole piston
30WT oil
3 degrees toe out
-2 degrees camber

Esc setup:

20% drag brake (huge improvement in turns)
50% punch control
0 timing
Take off speed slow
Smooth non linear throttle curve

I'm running the car in a small track in my basement which is concrete. I'm pretty happy with how it handles. I will go to our local track and try it on carpet. I can't wait.
ro.sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 10:44 AM   #1880
Tech Master

Hey Ro.Sniper,

what ESC and Motor are you running?

I am still slowly working on my CR'er. ...got the diff's together, painted the wheels, ...it's coming together.

I still haven't ordered a ESC + Motor yet.

debating between the:

Novak 17.5T BL w/ Havok ESC.
Speed Passion BL 17.5T combo
or
a brushed motor + ESC combo.

The brushed is cheaper and will allow me to compete at our local track in ther "mini" class. Yet everyone swears by brushless. so still haven't decided.
eR1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 10:47 AM   #1881
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by eR1c View Post
Hey Ro.Sniper,

what ESC and Motor are you running?

I am still slowly working on my CR'er. ...got the diff's together, painted the wheels, ...it's coming together.

I still haven't ordered a ESC + Motor yet.

debating between the:

Novak 17.5T BL w/ Havok ESC.
Speed Passion BL 17.5T combo
or
a brushed motor + ESC combo.

The brushed is cheaper and will allow me to compete at our local track in ther "mini" class. Yet everyone swears by brushless. so still haven't decided.
Racing a brushed motor at the track is a lot more fun than running a brushless motor in the street. Easy decision.

Plus, if the brushed motor is a sealed can (I hope so), maintenance is easy.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 01:11 PM   #1882
Tech Master

thanks Sosidge,

....sounds like that is the way to go as I do want to track/race this car.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:56 PM   #1883
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

I plan on running this in a stock class that uses either 21.5 brushless or MJGTC Spec Motor (27Turns) .. what pinions / spur are those of you that race running?
Old 11-11-2010, 10:36 AM   #1884
Tech Master

...So I purchased a brushed 17.5 turn motor (for parking lot fun), and a 27t for competition ...figure it's easy to swap motors, -as at best I'll be racing 1x a month.

Hey I purchased the orange metal out-differential rings, yet when I installed them they are a hair too loose and don't sit correctly, ...so put the stock plastic ones on and they snap into place perfectly. -sucks, thought I was upgrading that part!
Old 11-15-2010, 03:56 AM   #1885
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

so I I finally got to race my CR couple weeks ago. I must say working on the car and replacing parts is time consuming. I did several back to back runs with my m05 and CR. The CR has faster lap times but the handling is bleh to me.
goots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 04:03 PM   #1886
Tech Master

Quote:
I must say working on the car and replacing parts is time consuming.
...I like to enjoy a beer while working on the car ...therefore lot's of opportunities to work on car is good!!!
Old 11-15-2010, 06:24 PM   #1887
Suspended

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

be careful the one i got from hot racing dont have thread in it and it wont fit wheel bolt unless you make your own thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raman View Post
Steve: who makes this aluminium replacement part? I was not aware someone came up with a replacement part... thanks
littlealex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 05:53 PM   #1888
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Anyone coming out to Hobby Town Corona? I'll be running mine there this weekend..
Old 11-17-2010, 08:02 AM   #1889
Tech Fanatic

Hey guys, finally getting a CR for myself with indoor season coming up, does anyone have a setup for carpet...using the HPI slick tires? There's a setup with cut-down foams from a few pages back, but I'd really like to use the rubber tires.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:59 AM   #1890
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Silver04RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raman View Post
Anyone coming out to Hobby Town Corona? I'll be running mine there this weekend..
I think Ill bring mine with me, if there's a class Ill run it

I got a bit bored last night and decide to roll and pull my fenders

Before- 0 MM Offset

After- 9 MM Offset

-Travis
Silver04RS is offline   Reply With Quote