R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Melting wires and connectors................ (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/272774-melting-wires-connectors.html)

RiceBurn2.2 02-03-2009 12:21 PM

Melting wires and connectors................

I have a electric Team Losi XXX S with a Noval1 Super Rooster ESC and a Speed Gems 2 motor. Im using a Live Wire 2000 mah, a few Team Orion Super Duty 3000mah, and a couple e-Stormo Championship Series 3300mah batteries. As the battery heats up, the wires and connector gets really hot and begins to melt. I get about 5 minutes before this happends. Seems like the more mah, the sooner this happends.

I've replaced the connector(male connector that connects the battery) and took apart the esc to see if anything was out of the ordinary...but no change!

Im fed up. This is my first rc car and Im really anxious to play with it. Please help.

Thanks

lidebt2 02-03-2009 12:28 PM

Batteries

Originally Posted by Reborn.2 (Post 5382197)
I have a electric Team Losi XXX S with a Noval1 Super Rooster ESC and a Speed Gems 2 motor. Im using a Live Wire 2000 mah, a few Team Orion Super Duty 3000mah, and a couple e-Stormo Championship Series 3300mah batteries. As the battery heats up, the wires and connector gets really hot and begins to melt. I get about 5 minutes before this happends. Seems like the more mah, the sooner this happends.

I've replaced the connector(male connector that connects the battery) and took apart the esc to see if anything was out of the ordinary...but no change!

Im fed up. This is my first rc car and Im really anxious to play with it. Please help.

Thanks

It sound to me like the batteries are no good. Have you tried different batteries from someone else? What gauge wire are you using?

flatspunout 02-03-2009 12:33 PM

What size wire and what type of connectors?

-rocky b

Akhor 02-03-2009 12:41 PM

I think what type of connecters you are using my be the defining issue with your problem.

If your using the Tamiya style connectors, these have been known to melt in the past.

I believe that you will find most are running Deans. They handle the higher current. Although there are a few others that do the job just as well.

RiceBurn2.2 02-03-2009 02:17 PM

Thanks guys!

I have the Tamiya style connectors so Ill change that out with the Deans. The wires are the ones that came with the esc...Noval Racing Super-Flex. Im not sure what the gauge is but they are pretty thick.

I dont think its the batteries, cause I have three different brand of batteries and I doubt there all bad. I've heard that the Orions are pretty good.

Edit: I think its 14 gauge...If thats what 14AWG means. Im new to this so dont laugh...

flatspunout 02-03-2009 02:32 PM

Oh yeah toss the Tamiya plugs and put Deans on...the Speed Gems 2 is a mild mod motor I believe (15T?)...no wonder the plugs were melting! Easy fix!

-rocky b

RiceBurn2.2 02-17-2009 02:15 AM

Well, got the Deans connectors and it worked fine for a while till, I think, my Speed Gem 2 motor died. God damnet...Problem after problem.

I dont know if I should start a new thread for this but, I need a new motor that could go with my Super Rooster esc. I just want a cheap brushed motor. This is my first car so I just want to go cheap for now, u know?

Thanks again...

EDIT: These are cheap...What do you think?
http://www.shopatron.com/index/135.0.47638.0.0.0.0

tc3team 02-17-2009 02:51 AM

Is the speed gem motor you have re-buildable? (If it is, there will be 2 small silver looking screws next to the two motor tabs where the wire goes on).

If you are lucky, find a guy who can skim the commutator and if needed, replace the brushes.

Chances are the motor has been used with the wrong gearing, and/or the heat build up from the other problem could have damaged the motor.

If it's not rebuildable, I would look at another motor and check the gearing suitable for where you plan on using it.

hope that helps :):tire:

Ps, you're definately doing the right thing by getting rid of the Tamiya connectors, they are junk...

Deans plugs allow better current flow, with less resistance. Especially with the motor you are using.

As for a new motor, try to find a cheap 19t or 27t rebuildable motor. The 19t will usually have bearings, the 27t will probably use bushings, sometimes bearings.

Joel Lagace 02-17-2009 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by RiceBurn2.2 (Post 5443056)

EDIT: These are cheap...What do you think?
http://www.shopatron.com/index/135.0.47638.0.0.0.0

Those are crawler motors, i recomend a stock 27turn motor or a 19T motor.. They have plenty of rip and require less maint and are affordable.. You speedgem is a econo-mod motor that can be rebuilt. Check your LHS for a comm cutting service and get new brushes.....

Its very likely the motor is worn from the typical newbie mistakes:
-over geared(to large a pinion gear)
-Extra long run times. 8-10min runs running back to back battery packs
Other then that outdoor running means dirt, wich gets into the motor and wears down the comm.

Tamiya plugs should have died back in the 80's Tamiya plugs and Timer chargers should not even be in production. And unfortunately new r/c'rs always have to find this out the hard way. And with great frustration....

DEANS are fool proof and last for years and years.

RiceBurn2.2 02-18-2009 10:37 AM

Thanks a lot! I found more super cheap motors on Ebay. These are dirt cheap. Any knoledge on these?

Thanks again for ur time! This noob neeeds the help, lol...

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-18-Turn-hop-...3A1|240%3A1318

http://cgi.ebay.com/53068-TAMIYA-1-1...3A1|240%3A1318

RiceBurn2.2 02-18-2009 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Joel Lagace (Post 5443532)
Those are crawler motors, i recomend a stock 27turn motor or a 19T motor.. They have plenty of rip and require less maint and are affordable.. You speedgem is a econo-mod motor that can be rebuilt. Check your LHS for a comm cutting service and get new brushes.....

Its very likely the motor is worn from the typical newbie mistakes:
-over geared(to large a pinion gear)
-Extra long run times. 8-10min runs running back to back battery packs
Other then that outdoor running means dirt, wich gets into the motor and wears down the comm.

Tamiya plugs should have died back in the 80's Tamiya plugs and Timer chargers should not even be in production. And unfortunately new r/c'rs always have to find this out the hard way. And with great frustration....

DEANS are fool proof and last for years and years.

Yep, that was me...running back to back batteries and everything. Now I know, so the next motor I get should last me. Thanks.

Im not sure if the gearing was right or not but, Its the stock one that came with the older xxx-s car. Its Yellow. I know they sell a blue one too. I need to look more into that.

RiceBurn2.2 02-18-2009 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by tc3team (Post 5443123)
Is the speed gem motor you have re-buildable? (If it is, there will be 2 small silver looking screws next to the two motor tabs where the wire goes on).

If you are lucky, find a guy who can skim the commutator and if needed, replace the brushes.

Chances are the motor has been used with the wrong gearing, and/or the heat build up from the other problem could have damaged the motor.

If it's not rebuildable, I would look at another motor and check the gearing suitable for where you plan on using it.

hope that helps :):tire:

Ps, you're definately doing the right thing by getting rid of the Tamiya connectors, they are junk...

Deans plugs allow better current flow, with less resistance. Especially with the motor you are using.

As for a new motor, try to find a cheap 19t or 27t rebuildable motor. The 19t will usually have bearings, the 27t will probably use bushings, sometimes bearings.

I took it apart so I think it is rebuildable. I just noticed that the cover thing, with the screws, had melted to the can/housing. So I know I beat the shit out of that old motor.

Joel Lagace 02-18-2009 12:16 PM

Skip those motors, get a 27T or 19T from trinity

http://www.teamtrinity.com/

InspGadgt 02-18-2009 12:47 PM

Also when you do decide on a motor make sure to pick up the appropriate pinion gear for it. My guess is that you used the same pinion gear on your speed gems that came with the car. If so that will also heat up the motor and battery connectors causing the melting you've been seeing. Most of the time the pinion that comes with the car is good for the motor it comes with. When you change motors you need to change pinions too. If you get a faster motor you need a smaller pinion gear.

RiceBurn2.2 02-18-2009 07:49 PM

BIG thanks again!

Would this do?
http://www.teamtrinity.com/shop/item.asp?item=TRI14004