Wiki Posts
Search

Tips for oiling bearings

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 07:03 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AUDI 0000
do you try to re-install the dust covers? or do you just run them w/o covers?
I never take the covers off. When you do that you get too much dust in them. They also get bent and causes friction. What you want to do is hold the blearing with your thumb and index finger. Keep it at an angle and spray the bearing from the top into the bearing through the seals. Spin the bearing while spraying, then spin and spray again until all the dirt runs out from the other side. Don't flip it and spray the other side because you'll shoot dirt right back into the bearing. After I let the bearing dry out, I place 2 drops of Boca Lighting bearing oil that comes in a syringe. Super light weight like Royal Oil or Niftech oil. This will be good for a few race weekends. If you want to clean them and they are still good and lubed, just wipe them clean with a rag and put them back in the car.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kschu
i use fully syn engine oil to put into my bearing..so far it's perform quite well...
How long is the interval of maintenance using synthetic motor oil?

I just cleaned my bearings last January on my TA05R (after running it for
a year without servicing it) using WD40 for cleaning and put a drop of
Motul 100% synthetic motor oil. Right now, my bearings are noisier than
before. Should I put more drops?

Or should I get the Trinity Royal Bearing Oil? It's a pain for me to clean
bearings every now and then. If I use the Royal Oil, can I just put a
a drop without removing my bearings from the car?
Old 02-26-2009, 04:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Originally Posted by padailey
How in the world do you get off metal shields without damaging them? I certainly can't do it... what's the trick?
If you look carefully you will see a metal "ring" tucked inside right above the sheild. I have always used a needle and slowly pried out one end. Carefull of that ring that comes out as the tips are pretty sharp, I had one go pretty deep into my finger
Old 02-26-2009, 06:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

When I build my kits, I make it a habit to re-lube my bearings. While buidling the T2R Pro, I noticed that some bearings did not spin as freely. I also noticed bearings I cleaned out and re-lubed barely had enough oil left.

Also, ceramic bearings are the way to go if you can afford them. They are low friction and sping "gooder".
Old 02-26-2009, 02:32 PM
Tech Master

always degrease new bearings overnight. take the dustcovers off, then douse them in motor spray. For lubrication, I use 0wt motor oil.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by redbones
always degrease new bearings overnight. take the dustcovers off, then douse them in motor spray. For lubrication, I use 0wt motor oil.
I degrease bearing in a cleaned baby jar overnight.
Next, I dry and soak them in a clean baby jar of PB Blaster.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:50 AM
Tech Champion

Personally, I won't take the shields off to clean them out.

For what little less resistance you gain, you loose the ability to keep the bearing clean, and you probably weaken the bearing by allowing the outside of the bearing to be partially unsupported with the sheild you took out... A board tap may even cause the bearing to bind up, not nice to happen when you've spend all day getting that TQ...

Maybe you dont weaken them by removing a shield, but i'd rather not chance it, for the sake of the tiny amount of resistance you loose, proabably one board tap and any advantage you have lost.

You could also be unbalancing the bearings, by allowing one side to spin a little more free than the other side.

IMHO, Any good flush out, let it dry and relube will be sufficient for most applications, and definatly more than sufficient for club level racing.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kschu
i use fully syn engine oil to put into my bearing..so far it's perform quite well...
y u never tell u..?
Old 02-27-2009, 02:13 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by redbones
forgot to mention that I do put the seals back on. just easier to get the thick initial grease out that way.