R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-02-2009, 02:14 AM   #1
Tech Initiate
Default Wierd things happening with esc

Hey all

I realise it's not a common brand or well known but I was hoping you guys could just apply esc logic to this and let me know if the esc is fubar or if something else is wrong.

Here is a video of what it does

I just put a 21T pinion on the motor as it had a slightly unmeshed big ass 26T. I thought this was the cause of my acceleration problems but it turns out I was wrong.

When I first put the 21 on, I ran it off the ground and it appeared fine. I then ran it outside on our driveway for a little bit but after 30 seconds it slowed right down and started juttering like the battery was flat. Also when trying to drive straight it would turn left, I adjusted steering trim but kept doing it.

Took off the shell and discovered that by throttling for some reason the steering is turning left.... wierd!

If I lightly press throttle the esc led will be solid, once I full throttle it will start flashing and thats when juttery throttle and steering starts.

I thought maybe for some reason the esc might have lost programming so I reprogrammed it using normal esc procedure to no avail.

I tested voltage at the battery (1800mah 7.2v) 7.4 when idle
It drops to 3.5v when throttling and continues to drop if I hold the throttle.
I tested at the motor when throttling and I am getting .5v so that explains why it starts juttering.

So.... my conclusion... esc is fubar, what do you guys think?

Thanks in advance
suprra_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 03:05 AM   #2
Tech Regular
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Suspect the voltage drops too much causing the receiver cutting in an out and steering woes. Maybe should try with a better battery.

Keep It Simple Stupid
kerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 03:10 AM   #3
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the reply, I am trying a tamiya 1400 to see if there is any difference, I didn't notice before but the 1800mah is ni-cd not ni-mh so possibly not helping.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:26 AM   #4
Tech Elite
Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Yeah with the voltage dropping that far I would suspect that the battery is probally the culprit.
*Vandal 4wd Late model*XXX-T sprinter*Micro scale specialties 1/24 'rock monster' crawler*MSS Micro-Rail*MSS Micro-Funny*MSS Micro-Outlaw*
2wdMod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 03:33 AM   #5
Tech Initiate

hey would you look at that....

tamiya one is working mint, have not driveway tested yet.

I do notice that the motor is actually running in reverse polarity tho, wierd. If it runs in correct polarity then forward is reverse lol

I'll go driveway test!
Old 02-02-2009, 03:49 AM   #6
Tech Initiate

LMFAO, now I know why people on here are saying not to buy the plastic tyres hahahaha, talk about wheelspin. I thinks I'm gonna get them rubberised sort

Mucho fun tho, thanks for the diagnosis
Now I've just gotta fix the dodgy tamiya connector, I'm gonna replace it with deans even tho this chassis won't be putting much current through It's just the fun bash drifter!

Thanks again all