R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-07-2009, 04:35 AM   #76
Tech Fanatic
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm trying to keep TC alive by running my only chassis in multiple race types. 27t stock racing and drifting. And I only go after bodies that look like the cars on the track, which is the ford focus, pagani zonda and suzuki escudo. I look at the jellybean bodies and i just simply say... EEYUCK.

Have you ever seen a Zonda go sideways in real life? it's such a trip to watch! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_M5vWCo21k
Sabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 09:39 AM   #77
Tech Apprentice

it's all about the cost to be competitive, when i got into TC's everyone had a tc3 or yokomo shaft car and they were no more than 300 dollars new or 150 used, now cars new are all around 400 and up which puts alot of possible buyers out of the range of being affordable.
with the rising cost of cars brings rising cost of support equipment, i'll start with motors and speed controller.
a stock brushed motor and a good race speedo would cost 120 new for a mid level speedo and good 27t stocker which when you compare cost of motors and speedo's now it's nearly 3 times that cost, average cost of an ok brushless stock equivalent is around 75 dollars, and a decent speedo to match would set you back at least 175 or more.
so now you have nearly 700 dollars into a decent level car but wait now you need a radio, batteries, charger, tires, soldering station, power supply, extra parts for breakage, TC specific tools, body, tire compound, and what ever else i missed, and all that would bring costs to 1500 easy, now try to sell that to any prospective newcomer, yeah right!!!

it's more than enough to scare away even the biggest wallet, hell even talking about how much money goes into these cars makes me wonder why i'm still able to afford it?
ricker96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 12:00 PM   #78
Tech Elite

It's what people call the thousand dallor car. You may not have paid that much for it, but that's what you'll be putting into it.

I know I have.
Tamiya 416X/ Tamiya TA-05 IFS/ Losi XXX-SCT/ HPI Baja 5SC/ Tamiya M05/ Tamiya F103/ Tamiya F104/ Team Associated 10R5O/ Kyosho IGT2/
Foxxrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 01:29 PM   #79
Tech Regular

The cost of RC is dwarfed by the cost of racing full sized cars. One set of Bridgestone Potenza RE01Rs will cost you over $800. If you race seriously, they'll last ~10 race days or so.

The bottom line is, full size racing or RC, having fun with the hobby is all a matter of perspective and managing your finances.
HI_808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 12:48 AM   #80
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Getting the youth involved is key

The perception of cost is huge. Everyones interested in Vintage until you tell them it's going to cost $800+ buying used stuff. For a toy? lol $300 for a good pre setup RTR Vintage would do wonders. Then watch the hobby grow. lol
RCknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 01:48 AM   #81
Tech Regular

RTRs encourage the impulsive type to try RC. So if you get a good, cheap RTR out, the hobby might grow for a little while. Then when it comes time to think and work on the car, the kids who bought the cheap RTRs are just going to throw it on the side and return to their game consoles or MTV.
HI_808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 03:00 AM   #82
Tech Master

RTR's take out the fun in learning how the car works thus giving less commitment to the hobby. Loving to build a kit is a must have trait when doing RC imo.
redbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:37 AM   #83
Tech Adept
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dmatter View Post
Touring cars cost wayyyyyyy too much! The price of tires is totally out of control $44.00 for a set of tires is ridiculous!! It costs $28.00 Front and Rear! for 20" BMX tires and the rear only needs replaced once every 4 months and the front can last 8 months. The RC manufactures are more greedy then George Bush and Corporate America and now it's biting them in the a$$ RC Tires should cost around $16.00 TOPS front and rear! They are just a little bit of plastic and foam.
I hear you. I feel that its the primary issue here.
Come on. $4-6 for a spur gear? It's just a simple piece of plastic/nylon punched from mould!

The prices of individual replacement and spares are ridiculous considering that these are really just toy cars.

We can argue forever about technological advances in RC, but step back and look at it all for a moment. Does RC help improve tech in the real cars we drive to work? No. Does RC help cure cancer? No. Does RC make us fitter like other sports? No.

So then why do we pay $6 for a tiny round bit of mass produced plastic that we call a spur gear, and $44 for a set of round rubber rings that we call RC car tyres that are also mass produced by the tens of thousands? Shouldn't they be much cheaper than that?
dinorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:25 AM   #84
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Touring car is not any more expensive than 1/8 buggy. And I am fairly certain that 13.5/lipo TC is actually the same or less to run than most classes (1/12 scale, 1/10 4wd Buggy, 1/10 Oval.

There are some great performing kits with very reasonable prices. The TC5 is only $360 and you can get a a JRXS Type R for $320 at a lot of places. And there's nothing wrong with a TA05R for $300.

So its not too expensive.

I think the disparity in performance between the people who can tune and drive touring cars compared to those who cant is a big problem.

There's too much speed, not enough traction, and cars that have so many adjustments that its impossible for the average racer to even be on the same track with an above average racer or want to be on a track with a below average racer.

One other difference I notice is that in offroad, if you're not on the pace, you can still have a lot of fun attempting to negotiate the jumps and obstacles that are only found in off-raod. If you're off the pace onroad you're just doing laps.

Touring cars cant do jumps, but, I've always wondered what it would be like to drive a touring car on race tracks with banked curves and elevation changes.

That would be fun.
Ed Toth

LCRC Raceway and Bumps & Jumps.
Ed237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:43 AM   #85
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The main problem with TC is tire expense... There are different Kits in different price ranges... Tires on the other hand are all $30 and over for a decent set of premounts....
TQ-racing Yokomo BD7 Airtronics
Francis M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:55 AM   #86
Tech Fanatic
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I have read thru all of the posts and it seems that everyone wants to continue to debate the cost. Cost is an important issue, but I don't think it is the main reason for the ups and downs of the hobby. I think the problem is exposure and exposure comes from brick and mortar race tracks with part support and people behind the counter that are knowledgable, supportive and encouraging to the people that are their customers. I cannot tell you the number of times that I have entered a hobby shop only to have to deal with someone behind the counter that is arrogant or too busy to help out. Not everyone enters this hobby with racing knowledge and a little help goes a long way. I am sure all of us have made purchases that were completely useless because someone gave them bad advice.

I decided to re-enter this hobby after about 2 years off. I knew how to go about making some of the decisions on the type of equipment to start with, like car type. Made the decision based on local part support. I decided not to carry a bag full of spare parts that I may never use. I decided not to buy a car that the only way you can get parts in California is online. I am currently going thru the transition to Brushless/Lipo and there is a learning curve. At times it has been like pulling teeth to get advice. Don't know if it is the competetive nature of people or not, but it seems like some info is top secret or others just want to break your B**L's. A simple question like recommended gear ratio became a real challange, talk about wasted money on gears that I will never use. Finally I found someone to give me some good advice, and found the right gear range. This is just 1 example, there are a lot more.

We tend to make a big deal out of the "BIG" races like the Snowbirds. That is great exposure for the area they are held in, but does nothing for example in California, Oregon or Washington. There are thousands of people that would race at least once a week if a race track could afford to stay open long enough to establish itself. Again alot of this has to do with the economy, Internet sales, etc, but more has to do with poor customer service.

I started racing back in 1990 at the Ranch Pit Stop in Pomona,CA, they closed and there wasn't anything close by so I lost interest. Then a small 1/18th indoor track opened a few years back, raced for about a year and it died. Then So Cal closed, For Fun Hobbies closed. Parking lot races are not my thing so I stepped away for awhile. Now back in it and have to travel 1 hour to BCR to race. I am willing to travel within reason, but there is a point when it seems like work instead of fun. It has been said that you need to Practice, practice and then practice. But if there is only one track in the area and it is only open 1 day a week, You tend to lose interest.
svines1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 04:40 PM   #87
Tech Apprentice

sounds like you need to come out to vermont and visit the RC Toybox, it's the best hobby shop in the north country, and has the best racers from the beginner to the top level driver, a great shop crew, and the nicest track layout in newengland.
our hobby shops we love need more loyal customers like you and i, and the other racers that we race with, our shops care about carrying parts for our cars, but we just need the precious few new people to help make it worth the effort for the shop.
if the internet keeps cutting into the market and more shops keep closing then where are the tracks going to be, not at any of those online stores!
we all need to start supporting the local shops, then we'll see all forms of RC do better along with TC's.
ricker96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 05:06 PM   #88
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Although tire cost is high for foam sedan & 1/8th off-road its fairly reasonable for others. The $40-60/day tire cost for these classes is more than I can afford but there are cheaper options. My 1/10 buggy tire cost is under $20/day with new rears every other race day and fronts every other set of rears. For on-road I have no problem getting 2 race days w/ practice out of a $30 set of rubber tires and a set gas sedan foams lasts me an entire club race @ under $22.- Tires are still the most expensive part of my racing but ranging from $15-22/day its not nearly as bad as some of the other classes I have tried (foam sedan being the worst @ $82/day)
mtveten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 05:37 PM   #89
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rezenclowd3

Originally Posted by Francis M. View Post
The main problem with TC is tire expense... There are different Kits in different price ranges... Tires on the other hand are all $30 and over for a decent set of premounts....
Thats still less than 8th scale. For club racing, use the tires till the belts show. I know I can still race at my home track in Camarillo and use those just fine in the expert 13.5 class. I still buy used premounts from the pros if I can for less than half cost and if its 1-2 run sets.
OOMSGFX.COM (no longer painting, but take a look for fun!), Roadrunners RC Club
"Racing drivers have balls, unfortunately, none of them are crystal" (David Coulthard)
"I believe the average IQ of a NASCAR fan is only marginally above the things that hit the windscreen during the race. "
rezenclowd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 05:46 PM   #90
Tech Fanatic
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

IMO......TT01 spec class......enough said!!!!

xrayroooahhhh is offline   Reply With Quote