Wiki Posts
Search

lrp spx stock spec

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 06:58 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mr. MR4
I just changed my speed controller from the LRP TC Spec (using profile 6) to an SPX (Using Profile 6) using a LRP 10.5 with FDR of 5.35 (1/10 Touring Rubber tyres & 7.4v lipo)

What ratio would be best to use with the SPX?

Thanks
Karl
Karl,

Seeing the you have all LRP equipment, I would suggest that you ask Burrito (Reto) of LRP. He knows.

And give him some specifics about your track(s).

Bill
Old 08-08-2009, 07:03 AM
MAK
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default SPX

My club has a few guys swithing between the same s/c's. Last week we ended we were in te 5's with the tc spec and ended up in the low 8's to get the advance on the spx to kick in. we all have TC5R's and one is an Mi3. The downfall is the motor runs like crazy ad the cars are sooo fast but HOT.
Old 08-08-2009, 07:14 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MAK
My club has a few guys swithing between the same s/c's. Last week we ended we were in te 5's with the tc spec and ended up in the low 8's to get the advance on the spx to kick in. we all have TC5R's and one is an Mi3. The downfall is the motor runs like crazy ad the cars are sooo fast but HOT.
What motor (make/model/winds) are you using?

Being in Florida...Do you have fans on your motors?
Old 08-08-2009, 07:24 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Still bill - Thanks will Do

Here in Malta sometimes we race in very hot temperatures (28-30 degress) and the motors at the end of the run are sometimes at 160 without fan. With two 30mm fans (the cool can fan ones) blowing directly on the motor motors temp is around 145 deg.

MAK - Thats a huge difference between the two speed controllers. I will have to try 13 teeth less on the pinion to get into the 8's.
Old 08-08-2009, 07:27 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kn7671
Larger rotor = more torque, Smaller rotor = more RPM.

The larger the rotor, the magnet in the rotor moves closer to the stack/winding, thus more magnetic pull to each poll, while just the opposite with a smaller rotor.

My SPX quit working properly, does not do the accelerated timing on profiles 6, 7, and 8 anymore, and instead works almost like a normal sphere now. Anyone else experience this?
I have read on a few other threads where the SPX looses profiles 6, 7, and 8 after awhile. Some SPX drivers are replacing their speedos quite often because of this. Have you tried your SPX with another motor and had the same effect (loss of profiles?) Could this be a heat issue over time that makes this happen? I'm wondering if running the heat sink on the ESC would keep this problem from occuring. Just trying to gather more data on how this happens so that it can be avoided in the future.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MAK
how big is your track ???

mine is 260m long , fast and flowing and i use 4.0 gearing on profile 7

am i missing something ??? my car is fast but is there something i need to try ??
Old 08-08-2009, 10:36 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by sidecarphil1
i think this speedo is a little wierd and i cant understand it

i have a TRF416we with a GM 13.5 and an SPX on program 7 and gearing 4.0

my mate has an XRAY009 again with a GM 13.5 and an SPX on program 7 with gearing 4.4

we are both the same speed and punch out of the corners !!!!

how can this be ????

if i switch to gearing 4.1 or 3.9 i have nothing !!!!!
this speedo reads the amp draw from your motor & has a pre set timing map depending on what RPM & AMP your drawing to the motor. now when you are geared that close the each other, your speedo optimizes your powerband therefore makes the "normal" gear ratio difference almost non existent until you fall outside that power band window.

most speedo's have a small sweet spot because the timing parameters set on the speedo is linear with throttle input while the spx will set your timing where you can get maximum power based on three inputs,throttle, amp draw & rpm.

Last edited by R1wurks; 08-08-2009 at 11:59 AM.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:11 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by R1wurks
this speedo reads the amp draw from your motor & has a pre set timing map depending on what RPM & AMP your drawing to the motor. now when you are geared that close the each other, your speedo optimizes your powerband therefore makes the "normal" gear ratio difference almost non existent until you fall outside that power band window.

most speedo's have a small sweet spot because the timing parameters set on the speedo is linear with throttle input while the spx will set your timing where you can get maximum power base on three inputs,throttle, amp draw & rpm.
You indicated that RPM is an input.
Now, different turn motors have different maximum RPM, so how does it take this into account ??
Old 08-08-2009, 11:20 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by R1wurks
now when you are geared that close the each other, your speedo optimizes your powerband therefore makes the "normal" gear ratio difference almost non existent until you fall outside that power band window.
So you reckon the power band is that narrow ? I am not sure I understand this passage.

Your explanations are what I usually look for but most people don't know these things (or think in terms of "if you do this, then this will happen" without explaining why). That being said, I am really curious to know how you know this stuff because I only see two ways. Either extensive experimentation or access to inside info. Which is it?
Old 08-08-2009, 11:24 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by cosmo1974
Now, different turn motors have different maximum RPM, so how does it take this into account ??
RPM is read off the sensors.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:50 AM
Tech Regular

rpm can be used as a safety feature to prevent too much timing from being applied at low rpms. this can help prevent excessive heat.

Originally Posted by cosmo1974
Old 08-08-2009, 11:58 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by niznai
So you reckon the power band is that narrow ? I am not sure I understand this passage.

Your explanations are what I usually look for but most people don't know these things (or think in terms of "if you do this, then this will happen" without explaining why). That being said, I am really curious to know how you know this stuff because I only see two ways. Either extensive experimentation or access to inside info. Which is it?
i was just trying to explain how this speedo can do what it does & why its so different. about the problem he's having, im not sure but it does look like there might be a problem with his car.(check the sensor wire,speedo,bearings,etc.) whatever it is that doesn't sound normal.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bob~H
I have read on a few other threads where the SPX looses profiles 6, 7, and 8 after awhile. Some SPX drivers are replacing their speedos quite often because of this. Have you tried your SPX with another motor and had the same effect (loss of profiles?) Could this be a heat issue over time that makes this happen? I'm wondering if running the heat sink on the ESC would keep this problem from occuring. Just trying to gather more data on how this happens so that it can be avoided in the future.
Locally I havent heard of anyone having this problem. How true is that?
Old 08-08-2009, 01:37 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Bob~H
I think that's a spin created by somebody's marketing efforts. I have two SPXs, one is brand new the other is about five months old. They function identically. I don't think you need to worry much about heat. Even on profile eight, neither SPX gets very hot and I do not use the heat sink. I've never counted less than 15 LED blinks when using the temp check function.
Old 08-08-2009, 02:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default What temp will it thermal?

Does anybody know what temp the SPX will thermal at?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.