Wiki Posts
Search

lrp spx stock spec

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 10:22 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by burito
Puuh, too many questions for me already...
Should re-name that thread in "Ask LRP" or something as it's not just SPX StockSpec related anymore.
Will try to answer the questions about SXX vs. SPX vs. SphereComp.

80710 vs. 80700/80750:
- explained in my post #101 in this thread I guess.

80900 vs. 80950 (the two SXX versions):
same internal hardware, difference is only heatsink/fan.
So 80900 is lighter, lower profile and doesn't come with a fan.

80900/80950 stock profiles:
SXX doesn't have "extreme stock profiles".
Nevertheless the SXX's profiles 9+10 will be suited well for stock, but I would suggest #80710 for hardcore stock racers as it has more aggressive timing.

Profile comparison between 80900/80950 (SXX) and 80700/80750 (Sphere):
We do have a nice chart in our SXX manual, which does explain curve, limiter and timing for easier understanding. See attachment under chapter 7. "Mode Programming".

SXX's steps for power profiles are finer then Sphere's and also it starts at slightly lower power in profile 1. What comes now is not 100% precise, as many small things have changed, but give you a good start and help to understand the SXX if you already use a Sphere:

SXX #1 -> slightly lower power then Sphere #1, but close
SXX #2 -> inbetween Sphere's profiles #1 and #2
SXX #3 -> similar to Sphere #2
SXX #4 -> similar to Sphere #3
SXX #5 -> inbetween Sphere's profiles #3 and #4 (that was quite a big step)
SXX #6 -> similar to Sphere #4
SXX #7 -> similar to Sphere #5
SXX #8 -> similar to Sphere #6
SXX #9 -> similar to Sphere #7
SXX #10 -> similar to Sphere #8

As said before, none of the profiles is 100% but this is the closest I can explain it and got all the teamdrivers understanding it as well...
Nice! Thanks Reto, I know that was a pain. We all really appreciate it though, thats why we keep running LRP products! I will probably never run anything else anymore.

-Korey
Old 04-24-2009, 12:44 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Hi Reto,

Thanks for the detailed info. You have no idea how many of your customers will find the info provided very useful.

The ESC is the "brain" of the car, so to speak, and until now, it has just been a little black box (or blue box in this case).

I personally have 2 Sphere TCs and 2 SPX Stock Specs and I am starting to use different ESC for fine tuning for various track conditions.

LRP offers so many different ESCs, so it would be helpful to help customers understand the differences, so they can make more informed buying decisions.

Once again, great job Reto
Old 04-25-2009, 12:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

Burito or anyone else for that matter, I have the Spx Bullet reverse (P/N 80450)and this speedy has 4 profiles. Which of the 8 profiles on the Spx stock spec(P/N 80710) could you compare these too? Would profile 4 be comparable to profile 7 or 8? And would profile 3 be comparable to a 5 or 6? I run a X11 10.5 with this speedy on profile 2 (default Linear)currently as i have not played around with it much. Im geared at 5.1 on a large flowing outdoor asphalt track coming off at around 60c. Going up profiles, what sort of adjustment should i make to gearing to make the most of the motor and speedy?

Cheers Guys, Benzaah
Old 04-25-2009, 06:35 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Burito's already said it...You guys need to start a separate thread to "Ask LRP about their speedos" instead of highjacking this SPX Competition Stock Spec thread...

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeze...Thanks.
Old 04-25-2009, 05:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

Originally Posted by Still Bill
Burito's already said it...You guys need to start a separate thread to "Ask LRP about their speedos" instead of highjacking this SPX Competition Stock Spec thread...

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeze...Thanks.
Hijack a thread. Bill, CALM DOWN MATE. This is the internets and this sort of thing happens.

I am actually asking how the Spx bullet and the Spx competition compare. If that is not valid to the Competition side of this thread the F@$* me ill just STFU...............Pleeeeeeeze

I am actually thinking of upgrading to this Comp spec speedy so would really like this question i had answered as if the Bullet reverse has similar profiles then an upgrade is not necessary.

So I will ask again, What profiles on the Bullet reverse compare to the Competition spec version? Thank you.
Old 04-25-2009, 06:22 PM
Tech Champion

Benzaah,

The following is just collected from the LRP website for the 80450 ESC:

Brushless + Brushed: Forward/Brake/Reverse + Forward/Brake
Automatic brushless/brushed swichtover
Internal-Temp-Check System
Advanced digital with 4 adjustable modes
Big power capacitor optimised for Touring car application
Ice Drive Design
AutoCell System - Automatic NiMH-LiPo adaption
Voltage Input: 4.8 - 7.4V
Low-profile heat sink
Fan on/off via speed control main switch
25 years warranty
3x Multi Protection System
German engineering

Pretty vague stuff in relation to your question. But, the 80450 looks to be trying to fix an array of r/c car applications. Whereas, the SPX Competition Stock Spec (by name) is very specific in its application.

Didn't know the 80450 ESC existed per my previous search of the LRP website. I had only searched on "Bullit". And, when you indicated "reverse", I was thinking off-road...My bad!

No need to SU...I would suggest PMing Burito (or LRP) directly to get a reliable answer.

Cheers!

Bill
Old 04-26-2009, 03:46 AM
Tech Addict

SPX Bullet Reverse profiles can not be compared, the speedo's with reverse function have a bit simplified software with no such thing as aggressive motor timing profiles.
Old 04-26-2009, 06:58 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by burito
SPX Bullet Reverse profiles can not be compared, the speedo's with reverse function have a bit simplified software with no such thing as aggressive motor timing profiles.
Thanks Reto! L-0-V-E my SPX Stock Specs. Unbelievable!

Still going lower with the gearing on my TC car...I am down a full number (i.e. 4.4 to 5.4) at this point and still get more performance for all times I have stepped down so far. Fun!

Bill
Old 04-26-2009, 11:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Just want to give a +1 to the SPX Spec. I am a relatively new racer and just stepped into the VTA scene. This esc is great. This is my first brushless set up and man was it easy to set up and run. Wish my car was... Anyway, great esc!
Old 04-27-2009, 07:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Hey burito, would I gain anything if i were to replace the standard capacitor with a larger capacity ones ?

I have one huge capacity capacitor that I used to run on my brushed esc and was thinking of installing it on the Spx...
Old 04-27-2009, 08:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

I had a bit more luck with my SPX Stock Spec/Novak 10.5 over the weekend. I had a full day of practice before a 2 day event so I decide to test rollout and profile options. I started with a 36.5mm rollout on profile 5, the motor temped in the low 40s so I worked my way up to profile 7 with the temp in the low 50s, then profile 8 and it was in the mid 50s (the motor was really coming alive by then). I didn't really need to, but I decided to gear up to 38mm and even then the temps only rose to ~60 (I checked it at 2.5 and 5 min marks to make sure the motor was safe) but I picked up another tenth, so I ran with that gearing all weekend and the motor was fine, never temped above 60degC

I'd suggest 36mm and profile 7 might be a good starting point for that motor on most tracks, and then go from there
Old 04-27-2009, 09:59 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Tpg racer
Hey burito, would I gain anything if i were to replace the standard capacitor with a larger capacity ones ?

I have one huge capacity capacitor that I used to run on my brushed esc and was thinking of installing it on the Spx...
I'm not Reto; but, I use the TOP capacitors on all my LRP speedos. Have it on one of my two SPX's now; and, will do the other one when I can find another TOP cap.

Will love to hear Rito's response. His words are gold!

Bill

Last edited by Still Bill; 04-27-2009 at 10:27 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:23 PM
Tech Addict

We have tested with many different capacitors and so far our original type, which is a very expensive LowESR version "Made in Japan", worked best. None of the other (bigger & smaller) we tried worked better. So in my opinion there is no point in trying other capacitors.
Especially stay away from the flat "SuperCapacitors" as they don't work well...

I'm not familiar with the Top capacitors unfortunately.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:29 PM
Tech Champion

Thanks Reto.

Would it make any sense to double the number of capacitors (in parallel)?

Seems that I saw that on some old brushed Comp speedos.

Bill
Old 04-28-2009, 02:20 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CraigM
I had a bit more luck with my SPX Stock Spec/Novak 10.5 over the weekend. I had a full day of practice before a 2 day event so I decide to test rollout and profile options. I started with a 36.5mm rollout on profile 5, the motor temped in the low 40s so I worked my way up to profile 7 with the temp in the low 50s, then profile 8 and it was in the mid 50s (the motor was really coming alive by then). I didn't really need to, but I decided to gear up to 38mm and even then the temps only rose to ~60 (I checked it at 2.5 and 5 min marks to make sure the motor was safe) but I picked up another tenth, so I ran with that gearing all weekend and the motor was fine, never temped above 60degC

I'd suggest 36mm and profile 7 might be a good starting point for that motor on most tracks, and then go from there
Hey Craig, what is the final gear ratio that ran best with your novak 10.5? What do you meant by 36mm, I am a little confused.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.