Why are there no GT bodies for 1:12

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why are there no GT bodies for 1:12

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 08:59 PM
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
So purple and gray or purple and pink would not work? This could be a very fun class for the local level. I have seen the Greenwood Corvette on a 1/12 car, and it is KILLER in looks. I think a 17.5 or 21.5 motor and 3.7v lipo would be perfect for a sportsman or fun type class with these bodies. I would never want to change regular 1/12 racing, but this could be a fun way to get new people involved with 1/12. If the cars are slow enough, the bodies won't matter.
I totally agree, 21.5, 3.7v ,spec tires,ratio cap, with realistic looking bodies.
sounds like a fun class.The racing would be super close for sure.But with the whole lipo- 4 cell situation I dont really think adding a sub class would be a good move right now.

I do like the idea of the class though.It would be even better yet if you could find a cheap 1/12 chassis to spec.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:41 PM
Tech Adept

Having just been at the Snowbirds, there was like one guy running a Corvette, everything else was Sophias. Nothing wrong with the Sophia, but it would be cool if there were other bodies that "worked".
If there is a competition, nobody will drive the good looking bodies as a Dodge Viper or Saleen, erverybody takes the best body available and the World GT cars won't look like real cars soon. Like it happended in 8th scale Onroad, 12th scale, Touring car, ....

What we need is better body rules. Lower max. height, min. cockpit height, etc.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:46 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 2wdMod
I do like the idea of the class though.It would be even better yet if you could find a cheap 1/12 chassis to spec.
See, here's the thing. A long time ago Associated made the 12L in 2 forms, the pro version which was all graphite, and the club version which was a fiberglass chassis. The fiberglass version sold for less than a hundred bucks!!! I raced with a club that spec'ed the fiberglass car and we had fun. But it wasn't long before you had people saying you have to run the graphite car.

It's been over 10 years since any company made a fiberglass 12th scale car. The racers will always win out.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:13 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by jiml
Nobody wants them.

Way back when I think BoLink made several 1/12 scale bodies, including a 65 Mustang, 68 Camaro, and they also made a late model Camaro. I had one of the Camaro bodies. It looked great, but the handling was junk. I was racing with a small club back then (with a fiberglass 12L!)

I'm all for more realistic bodies, but not in 12th scale.
maybe it was before your time but in addition to Bolink, Parma and others made 1/12 scale GT bodies.
they weren't really popular, because the tried and true TOJ body reined supreme, but that didn't stop a lot of people from running them especially in exhibition races. I remember once we did it in conjunction with the St.Pete GrandPrix, back when they raced SCCA classes including TransAm, and we all ran some sort of GT/TA body at the organizer's bequest and it worked out quite well. with a rear wing the cars handled fine, maybe not as well as a TOJ but good enough to get around the track just dandy and have a great race.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:18 AM
Tech Elite

See, here's the thing. A long time ago Associated made the 12L in 2 forms, the pro version which was all graphite, and the club version which was a fiberglass chassis. The fiberglass version sold for less than a hundred bucks!!! I raced with a club that spec'ed the fiberglass car and we had fun. But it wasn't long before you had people saying you have to run the graphite car.

It's been over 10 years since any company made a fiberglass 12th scale car. The racers will always win out.
Yeah , I liked those days. It made it cheap to try a class ,and if you didnt like it you didnt end up losing a bunch of money when you sold the roller off.Or if you did like it wait until you blew out the front of the glass chassis then upgrade to the Graphite.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:21 AM
Suspended

I have an old price sheet from back in the day, it still has the 12i as "available," and the deal was that the 12L carbon fiber chassis kit was only $25 more than the barebones 12L fiberglass kit. otherwise the car was completely the same.
and you didn't have to worry as much about the CF chassis going snap-a-roonie on you either like you did if you ran fiberglass, and that was the first upgrade everyone did anyway when the broke their fiber chassis, was to get the CF plate and not have to worry about it any more. pay me now, or pay me later.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:24 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Der Dicke
The Mini Cooper body works great on my GenX. No traction rolls. I just had to use a little bit stiffer setup. My car is not the fastest 12th scaler, but the fastest Mini
Funny you mention that, but they run some (off-brand, "Mardave" I think) 1/12th car over in England in which they utilize "boxy" bodies including the Mini Copper, but using a rear wing to make them handle. Last trip over there the boys seemed to be having a blast with them. Not a GTP bodied car in sight.

EDIT -- Here's a link to a company called Kamtec that makes a whole slew of 1/12th sedans http://www.kamtec.co.uk/products.php...=67&prod_cat=8
it is a place to start if you want to go that route

Last edited by RobbieT; 02-03-2009 at 07:37 AM.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:26 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RobbieT
I have an old price sheet from back in the day, it still has the 12i as "available," and the deal was that the carbon fiber chassis kit was only $25 more than the barebones fiberglass kit.
and you didn't have to worry as much about the CF chassis going snap-a-roonie on you either like you did if you ran fiberglass, and that was the first upgrade everyone did anyway when the broke their fiber chassis, was to get the CF plate and not have to worry about it any more. pay me now, or pay me later.
Yeah we found that at acouple tracks that had temporary carpet set-ups(the old GOLD colored carpet) the tracks were pretty bumpy and the glass chassis actually handled them better due to the increased chassis flex.So some of us missed the glass kits when you couldnt get them anymore.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

We used to run all the different bodies, most of the time we would spec one type of "class body" and that was what was run. We had a larger race called the "Snowblower" and everyone had to run a Bolink Wedge body, lots of room for tons of decals and the bodies actually worked pretty good. We also did a ROAR regional race that had to run F1 bodies, again, Bolink and Associated made some very nice ones.

As far as WGT, I run a HPI Silvia, done up as per the actual real race car, and it works very well, as a matter of fact, it was the only one in a sea of Vetts and Sophias, and still managed to TQ the class. And I think I convinced some others that there are alternatives that will work. (I thought the new body rule is any front engined, 2 door body is now allowed for WGT?)
Old 02-03-2009, 09:14 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
We used to run all the different bodies, most of the time we would spec one type of "class body" and that was what was run. We had a larger race called the "Snowblower" and everyone had to run a Bolink Wedge body, lots of room for tons of decals and the bodies actually worked pretty good. We also did a ROAR regional race that had to run F1 bodies, again, Bolink and Associated made some very nice ones.

As far as WGT, I run a HPI Silvia, done up as per the actual real race car, and it works very well, as a matter of fact, it was the only one in a sea of Vetts and Sophias, and still managed to TQ the class. And I think I convinced some others that there are alternatives that will work. (I thought the new body rule is any front engined, 2 door body is now allowed for WGT?)

http://www.worldgtrc.com/World%20GT%...s%20-%2009.pdf

The Silvia is not on the official list. I think they have a waaaaayyy too narrow body list.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
http://www.worldgtrc.com/World%20GT%...s%20-%2009.pdf

The Silvia is not on the official list. I think they have a waaaaayyy too narrow body list.
I think ROAR has a little different version of the body rule, but I can't get the darn link to open, so I can't confirm this. Dam computers LOL.