R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-24-2009, 06:37 PM   #1
Tech Initiate
Default I need to learn more about hopping up rc's lol

I have a TA03F with Novak Dually ESC and an Orion 10 Turn motor.

I ran my 10T motor on my awesome 1400 Tamiya battery and went on to melt the plastic due to heat LOL
Hopefully no damage has been caused to anything

What should I do in the way of cooling for the chassis etc and what battery should I run that won't melt the plastic.

I'm making this car a circuit car but I have some problems with steering and stiffness of the car.

I can't seem to get it to go straight, it either goes left or right and with the 10T it's quite uncontrollable haha.

Occasionally I'll stick drift tyres on it just for fun but I'd like a predictable steering car

Here's some pics of it

Click images to enlarge

suprra_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 06:46 PM   #2
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

welcome. ta03, old car but a good car. 1400mah battery. hmm, not exactly what u want for a big motor like that. i didnt know a dually was capable of handling a 10t motor. should check into that-and check ur gear ratio for cause of excess heat.

go thru ur settings on ur radio, make sure ur steering links are the same length and ur servo is setup centered. good luck

UltegraSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 07:10 PM   #3
Tech Initiate

I found the dually manual and it appears, i'm supposed to have 3 resisters on the motor as well.

Upon closer inspection of the esc I have noticed the wires that go to the receiver but on the dually end are exposed and close to shorting, so i'm glad I found that, how I'm going to fix it is another story however as it's very close to the case.

I found this on another old forum
Foto http://yourmicro.com/bg/bg_esc_novak_1660.jpg

This is a Novak NOV 1660 Dually Dual Profile Forward Only Racing Electronic Speed Controller. The dually is a microprocessor-based high frequency electronic speed control that uses advanced components and the best Hyperfet III transistors for high performance.

The Dually Dual-Profile ESC gives you extra flexibility with two user selectable throttle profiles for optimum control of both modified and stock motors with a single speed control. The dually also features Novak's CLC III current limiter that delivers extra smooth control, is adjustable from 20 to 100 amps, or can be turned completely off for full power acceleration.

Equipped with Novak's exclusive Polar Drive Technology, and Digital Anti-Glitch Circuitry, the Dually runs faster, longer, and smoother than other speed controls on the market.

Setup is quick and easy with one-touch setup, and Novak's Radio Priority Circuitry maintains complete control of the vehicle's steering even after the main battery pack has dumped and can no longer un the motor. the Dually's heavy duty BEC easily handles today's high-power servos.

Other Novak features packed into the Dually include Thermal Overload Protection and Purple Anodized micro-fin heat sinks for optimum cooling and performance under extreme conditions.

This ESC has no motor limit, an on-resistance of 0.00007 Ohm, 400amp Rated Drive Current, 100 Amp Rated Brake Current, 16 Amp Shottky Diode, 6V BEC Voltage, 3AMP BEC current, and two selectable drive profile. The case measures 1.63"x1.72"x0.65" and weighs 2.10 oz. It accepts power input from 6-7 cells.
So it appears, no motor limit? I.e, it can handle any turns I guess.

I also noticed the limiter screw is the next notch to off, I'm still not quite understanding the limiter properly, also in the instructions http://www.teamnovak.com/download/in...dually_ins.pdf It says to set the transmitter to max this and that but again, i'm noob and not understanding correctly.

Thanks for putting up with me and hopefully explaining hehe
Old 01-24-2009, 07:16 PM   #4
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I agree with Ultegrasti, check your gearing because there is no reason that your car should be running that hot.

As for a battery you can search around to find some good stick packs. They are pretty cheap and offer good mix of power and runtime. Team Orion makes great quality packs so check them out.
LIVipers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 07:20 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

As Ultegrassi said, make sure the gearing is not too high (i.e. smaller pinion and larger spur is better).

Also, batteries get hot when they are overloaded, so definitely invest in some better stick packs.

As for your steering, with that much power it will be hard to steer. Try driving it slower and adjust the steering trim to make sure you're driving straight. Also make sure your tire rods are symmetrical (I no toe in, maybe a little toe out depending on your track)

Ooh, one more thing! Try to make the wires shorter as in solder them so that the wires are as short as possible. The more wiring you have, the worse since there is more resistance. This can attribute to the heat as well.
I am a man of few words.
Mooshu Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 07:43 PM   #6
Tech Initiate

Thanks for all the help!!!!

I found my exact motor is the Team Orion Revolution Touring 10T x2

btw, what does x2 mean.

Also theres a blue wire coming off my esc apparently for an external fet, what is an external fet?

I'm going to pull apart what the last owner did and rewire it, he wasn't exactly awesomeness with his soldering

I'll try and get it as short as possible without breaking wires lol.

I went off the manual for the steering arms, .5mm on arms going to hubs and 3.5mm on servo but its now made my wheels \ / instead of straight so I guess I'll put it back to how it was lol, I might pull up the steering servo as I noticed it has a bit of play, maybe he didn't tighten it properly, I dunno lol.

Thanks again

edit: With the gearing, how on earth do I figure that out?

The main big gear the motor meshes onto has 43 teeth, the old stock or stockish motor has 17 teeth, the 10 turn has 16 teeth.

Last edited by suprra_girl; 01-24-2009 at 07:54 PM.
Old 01-24-2009, 08:32 PM   #7
Tech Regular
Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Exactly what plastic melted? Was it the battery connector by any chance?
Theslowguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 08:36 PM   #8
Tech Initiate

Yup it was the battery connector.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:42 AM   #9
Tech Regular
Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

I figured. That is your problem. Not only is your battery not up to par for that motor. But those connectors cannot handle the type of currant that motor draws. Hopefully the connector didn't melt to the point of shorting out your battery and possibly damaging your speed control.

That speed control should be plenty for you. I would defiantly considering changing your plugs out to the 'deans' plugs. They are much more capable of the currant loads of that motor. And also maybe try finding a new battery pack. Maybe even considering a lipo. That way you only need one and it give you excellent performance.

Good luck.
Theslowguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 02:38 AM   #10
Tech Initiate

Awesome, thanks for that info.

Funnily enough, I had a feeling, I didn't know what but I stopped the car, bought it inside and thats when I discovered I couldn't disconnect it properly lol.

Just plastic melt, no short.... If I had gone longer I suspect uber meltdown heh.

I'm going out shopping for new stuff for it so I'll get the deans connectors

Thanks again