Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Beginner choose first car help for decision Sakura or Xray? >

Beginner choose first car help for decision Sakura or Xray?

Like Tree17Likes

Beginner choose first car help for decision Sakura or Xray?

Old 05-25-2021, 07:13 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Beginner choose first car help for decision Sakura or Xray?

I'm new to rc car, only plane and heli before. Now choosing chassis for first car on road touring 1/10 electric. I've read that 1st car can be cheap to practice or try before. So Sakura xi sport sound good according to number of forum I've read. However I've checked Xray is my flavors as of now, I like the design and quality of items in it also I like their manual as well. That why I can't make decision.

So I ask here hope to get decision that should I have Sakura for practice until I good in handle it then have Xray later for 2nd car. Or I start now with Xray?

And oh! What I want is kit car unassembled. I like to assemble it myself. That is love for the hobby.
Old 05-25-2021, 07:37 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The 3Racing kits are good solid starting cars. Depending on the club, there’s no reason they can’t be competitive.

Now, I’d normally suggest looking into used. The majority of what I race on and off road are used.
Old 05-25-2021, 10:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Whatever you pick, access to spare parts is more important than price. Having to wait for overseas orders for parts can be a real pain.
Old 05-25-2021, 10:34 PM
Tech Rookie

Thank! Good to know that Sakura is good enough to race. For now I consider new instead of used one, because I prefer assemble myself that is what I addicted to RC hobby. If used one it already assembled then I feel now fun in it.
Old 05-25-2021, 10:52 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by gigaplex
Whatever you pick, access to spare parts is more important than price. Having to wait for overseas orders for parts can be a real pain.
Will check that, thank!
Old 05-26-2021, 01:37 AM
Tech Elite

If you have the budget for an XRAY, I would get one, because unless you happen to live somewhere where they are very well supported, there is much better parts support for an XRAY, much more setup advice and the quality is better. You'll also find it easier to sell on the second hand market if you decide to move on to a different car.

Only advantage of Sakura is they are cheap.
0010 likes this.
Old 05-26-2021, 03:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Xray, fast and durable.
mooby64 and 0010 like this.
Old 05-26-2021, 04:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nquantum
Thank! Good to know that Sakura is good enough to race. For now I consider new instead of used one, because I prefer assemble myself that is what I addicted to RC hobby. If used one it already assembled then I feel now fun in it.
If you consider used, You could have the fun of completely tearing it down and rebuilding it to a new state, examining each part for wear and replacing anything necessary.
There is really no right or wrong way to get in.
mrreet2001 likes this.
Old 05-26-2021, 05:06 AM
Tech Rookie

I would definitely recommend an x-ray. Maybe a T3 or something. They are easy to set-up, lots of spares available and bulletproof.
Old 05-26-2021, 06:42 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by Speedkid
I would definitely recommend an x-ray. Maybe a T3 or something. They are easy to set-up, lots of spares available and bulletproof.
I wouldn't recommend a T3 at this point. Some of the parts are getting hard to get and an older T4 isn't going to cost more.
Old 05-26-2021, 06:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I'd definitely go used xray T4 before a new sakura. I'll say though, get someone to help you look at listings if you don't know what you're looking at. A buddy of mine was sold a "19" that was really a '15 but luckily he got his money back. I've also seen many T4 listed that weren't even a T4.
Old 05-26-2021, 07:50 AM
Tech Master

You can't go wrong with any Xray 2014-2019. Most of the major breakage parts are shared by all of these models.
anthonyscardina likes this.
Old 05-26-2021, 08:41 AM
Tech Rookie

From what you guys say I'm now lean toward Xray. Yeah! Until I've enough budget.

However what your think about Yokomo SD9 Sport vs Sakura Xi sport? Just like to know. Where is position of SD9, same as Sakura, little better or what?
I know it not same par to Xray, just like to ask to have more choice.

Also my friend recommend me motor 13.5T instead of 17.5T so that it can use for competition. Is that wise choice? I've just not sure as of beginner I can handle it or not.
Old 05-26-2021, 10:20 AM
Tech Master

From what you guys say I'm now lean toward Xray. Yeah! Until I've enough budget.

However what your think about Yokomo SD9 Sport vs Sakura Xi sport? Just like to know. Where is position of SD9, same as Sakura, little better or what?

Also my friend recommend me motor 13.5T instead of 17.5T so that it can use for competition. Is that wise choice? I've just not sure as of beginner I can handle it or not.
Sport kits tend to have a lot of plastic parts, that will need replacing (bulk heads, motor mounts, etc....)
Old 05-26-2021, 10:53 AM
Tech Prophet

Check with the track for what classes are run. Not every place runs higher classes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.