Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree18Likes

Veteran TAMIYA TA03 fans!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 10:37 PM
Tech Regular

This one?

That's Tamiya PN 53261 Carbon battery plate.

Also I'm actually using the stock FRP upper deck for now since I was rushing assembly and never got around to drilling a hole for the belt tensioner.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:24 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

WOW. I just installed a Castle CM36 6900kv motor in my TA03, upgrading from the stock silver can. Talk about a quantum leap forward. Right now it's set on the stock (no EPA) settings, although I did adjust the throttle curve to make it more linear. I've never had a brushless/LiPo setup before, and all I can say is wow.

Unfortunately I only got in about 30 seconds of run time.

I forgot that I never glued the tires on this kit (you never really had to in my day) and I threw the tires right off the wheels, and one of them bounced down the sewer drain. I've never been so happy to go to the LHS and buy new tires.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:02 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the PN. Im definitely putting that in my saved searches.

Update: I got that TA03F Pro from ebay for 40 bucks. Did not have any upgrades so I just used the Top and Bottom plates and screws that came with it. The Carbon Fiber is scratched on the bottom pretty good but nothing some sand paper and clearcoat cant fix. Very excited to get this thing restored soon! Hopefully by the end of this year ill have it completed with its own Brushless setup and all. Between that and trying to figure out a drift track layout in my garage im kind of busy!

Misterbrister - I did the same thing with some tires on an old rc car I had when first putting a brushless system in it! Super funny when it happens. Now since all I do is drift I dont have to worry about glue. Just boiling water and popping the tires on!

Share some pics of your TA03!
Old 02-03-2013, 03:05 PM
Tech Rookie

Hey guys. Just wondering of anyone has a pro chassis or any flat chassis that will fit a tao3f, would would by be will to make me a template of it and the radio tray holder. Nothing fancy just a tracing and hole points. Thanks
Old 02-03-2013, 04:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (95%+)

do any lipo batteries fit the ta03 pro
Old 02-03-2013, 09:45 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by zaraz
Using the stock battery hold down you're limited to rounded lipo packs. I'm using the CF battery mount and taping my packs down directly to the upper plate tabs. You can always mix and match stuff as I plan on using an MST battery tray. It's cheap and looks like it'll work.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:18 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The Turnigy (HobbyKing) 5000 MAh 2S 20C Lipo Pack (T5000.2S.20) will fit with some slight dremeling to the battery tray edges on the Ta03F. Its pretty cheap too.
BR Jerry

Last edited by witman69; 02-04-2013 at 08:19 AM. Reason: updated info
Old 02-04-2013, 08:39 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default TA03F Chassis options

HI Guys:
I have a TA03F (Mitsubishi Lancer) that I bought in 1997 in Japan. It was my first real RC, and it took a real beating on and off road for a couple years (Its a rally car right !?!) Anyway, I recently put a Subaru Body and 17T brushless system in it to run around a nice smooth local track. I have 3 questions:
1. I have the bathtub Chassis, and its cracked at the front. Can I buy another chassis that will accept the same a arms , shocks etc, or am I stuck buying the same Bathtub Chassis?
2. Even at fairly slow speeds, the car will traction roll when cornering hard in a parking lot. Is there anything I can do to help? (Wider tires, better shocks, weight etc.)
3. Are there tires or widening adapters available that will widen the rear? I'd like to run 30mm tires if possible.

Thanks for all the help! This is my oldest RC, and I should probably buy a newer touring car that will handle todays brushless power systems, but I really like the Ta03, and I'd like to keep it running.
BR Jerry
Old 02-04-2013, 10:30 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by witman69
HI Guys:
I have a TA03F (Mitsubishi Lancer) that I bought in 1997 in Japan. It was my first real RC, and it took a real beating on and off road for a couple years (Its a rally car right !?!) Anyway, I recently put a Subaru Body and 17T brushless system in it to run around a nice smooth local track. I have 3 questions:
1. I have the bathtub Chassis, and its cracked at the front. Can I buy another chassis that will accept the same a arms , shocks etc, or am I stuck buying the same Bathtub Chassis?
2. Even at fairly slow speeds, the car will traction roll when cornering hard in a parking lot. Is there anything I can do to help? (Wider tires, better shocks, weight etc.)
3. Are there tires or widening adapters available that will widen the rear? I'd like to run 30mm tires if possible.

Thanks for all the help! This is my oldest RC, and I should probably buy a newer touring car that will handle todays brushless power systems, but I really like the Ta03, and I'd like to keep it running.
BR Jerry
The bathtub chassis are hard as heck to find now a days. I just found one on ebay that is shipping from the UK...it was about 28 bucks including shipping.

And unfortunately, I have not seen an aftermarket version of the tub. Most aftermarket companies made plate style chassis for these kits mainly to trim some weight off the car.

Finally, if your car is traction rolling, it is probably due to the spring and oil combination on the car. The silver springs are kind of soft for smooth pavement. I would suggest getting more firm springs like the blue Tamiya springs and thicker oil. Gary Demory (sp?) recommended 80 weight oil for the 03's in an article that is still on the Tamiya USA site.

In terms of widening the car, a lot of manufactures offer offset wheels up to something like 6 mm per wheel. You could probably get a 200mm wide body, rather than the stock 190 mm body you have now, and pick some rims from Tamiya, HPI, or whoever with 5mm offsets to widen the tack.

And remember to post some pics!
Old 02-05-2013, 07:20 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by irockflipflops
And remember to post some pics!
Well, you asked for it... Thanks for the advice! BR Jerry
Attached Thumbnails Veteran TAMIYA TA03 fans!-ta03imgp5287.jpg   Veteran TAMIYA TA03 fans!-ta03imgp5290.jpg   Veteran TAMIYA TA03 fans!-ta03imgp5294.jpg  
Old 02-05-2013, 07:54 AM
Tech Regular

My Pro came with an FRP chassis. I can fit any battery that is slim enough to slide into the space. It does not need to be rounded.

Did the Pro come with another chassis in some kits?

Sean
Old 02-05-2013, 12:55 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Radi0Flyer
My Pro came with an FRP chassis. I can fit any battery that is slim enough to slide into the space. It does not need to be rounded.

Did the Pro come with another chassis in some kits?

Sean
Yeah, radioflyer is right. the pro chassis' battery holders will take a brick lipo as long as the dimensions are narrow enough...however you would have to either tape the pack in place or rig something battery holders on either side to hold the pack. The batter cups, for lack of exact description, that you use body clips to hold the packs in place are rounded on the inside for shotgun packs.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:24 PM
Tech Addict

Well, you asked for it... Thanks for the advice! BR Jerry
the subaru is pretty sweet!..I need to build up the patience for all the decals tamiya puts in their kits. I just can't wait til i finish building them to run them!
Old 02-05-2013, 09:40 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by irockflipflops
the subaru is pretty sweet!..I need to build up the patience for all the decals tamiya puts in their kits. I just can't wait til i finish building them to run them!
Me neither :-) I actually found this body already painted sitting on a dusty shelf at the local hobby shop. Asked the guy how much, and he says "Take it" I just cleaned it up and put the lights in. My Lancer body is so messed up Im not sure I can ressurect it.
I do have a Skyline body NIB, and thats where the rear wing came from. I guess I should get another wing so I dont mess that one up too bad.
Can you PM me where you found the 50719 chassis? I only saw one in UK, and it was quite pricey.
I wouldnt mind having a CF or flat chassis, as long as the length is the same as the Bathtub chassis. I just dont know what to get.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:22 AM
Tech Addict

Me neither :-) I actually found this body already painted sitting on a dusty shelf at the local hobby shop. Asked the guy how much, and he says "Take it" I just cleaned it up and put the lights in. My Lancer body is so messed up Im not sure I can ressurect it.
I do have a Skyline body NIB, and thats where the rear wing came from. I guess I should get another wing so I dont mess that one up too bad.
Can you PM me where you found the 50719 chassis? I only saw one in UK, and it was quite pricey.
I wouldnt mind having a CF or flat chassis, as long as the length is the same as the Bathtub chassis. I just dont know what to get.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TAMIYA-50719...item46090ec54f

^ Here is one chassis I found for about the same amount that I paid. Most of the chassis sets that you find on ebay, or anywhere else are the "S" or short versions which are cool, but you still need to find a short belt AND a short body.

If interested in getting an FRP chassis set for a TA03F, send an email to [email protected] and I'll send you pictures back and a price.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.