Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Veteran TAMIYA TA03 fans! >

Veteran TAMIYA TA03 fans!

Like Tree18Likes

Veteran TAMIYA TA03 fans!

Old 10-11-2012, 05:12 PM
Tech Adept

Is the TA03F a narrow or an wide chassie.
How mutch offset can i use with an tamiya body?
Old 10-12-2012, 03:04 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

They are a nominally 190mm wide chassis, depend on the body how much offset u can run..
Old 10-16-2012, 01:47 PM
Tech Adept

The wheelbase on the TA03F is that moore like the Yokomo 258mm or like HPI 255mm?
Old 10-16-2012, 04:33 PM
Tech Adept

TA03 is narrow. More like 180-185mm. It's even narrower than other tamiyas.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:32 PM
Tech Adept

Thats music to my ears!
Love offset rims.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:16 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Hey guys! Do any of you have any spare ta03 knuckles you would be willing to sell? I'm looking for aluminum plastic whatever...I just cannot find a reputable online site besides ebay to buy from.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Anyone know what caster degree the Tamiya 49097, 53316, Cross TT-40, or GPM TA3020 front C hubs have? I know the TA02 hubs are 2 degree, but they don't have the sway bar mounts. I'd like a set intended for the TA03 that have 2 degrees instead of 8 degrees and are aluminum.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:35 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by WhiteLX
Anyone know what caster degree the Tamiya 49097, 53316, Cross TT-40, or GPM TA3020 front C hubs have? I know the TA02 hubs are 2 degree, but they don't have the sway bar mounts. I'd like a set intended for the TA03 that have 2 degrees instead of 8 degrees and are aluminum.
I know the GPM stuff is still around...but where did you find the Cross pieces?
Old 12-29-2012, 04:43 PM
Tech Regular

I'm going to put my TA03F pro back on the track in the VTA class. Our track uses 21.5 brushless. I am switching to the black .6 mod spur and counter gears for a little more reliability and better ratios with the brushless motor. With 1550g minimum weight it might be somewhat competitive. Main thing is I want to go have some fun without spending a ton on a new chassis.

My question is what differentials should I use? The track is high traction carpet. I was going to try out the one way diff up front, but I also want to try gear diffs. Should I keep a ball diff in the rear?
Old 12-30-2012, 11:39 AM
Tech Addict

I'm going to put my TA03F pro back on the track in the VTA class. Our track uses 21.5 brushless. I am switching to the black .6 mod spur and counter gears for a little more reliability and better ratios with the brushless motor. With 1550g minimum weight it might be somewhat competitive. Main thing is I want to go have some fun without spending a ton on a new chassis.

My question is what differentials should I use? The track is high traction carpet. I was going to try out the one way diff up front, but I also want to try gear diffs. Should I keep a ball diff in the rear?
Let us know how that goes. I am still building my ta03 pro in general and vta sounds like a good class for it
Old 12-30-2012, 08:01 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by irockflipflops
Let us know how that goes. I am still building my ta03 pro in general and vta sounds like a good class for it
Sadly, many of the modifications I wanted to perform on my 03F pro would end up costing north of $100 once shipping is figured in. Pretty much the same cost as a new SpecR S1. So I'm going to clean it up, rebuild the ball diffs, toss on the aramid belt, some new control arms, install the TA02 hubs, and have some fun. If its remotely competitive, I'll consider performing some of the other items on my list. If not, I'll probably shelf it and pick up the S1.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:37 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default TA03F retrofit?

I may be getting back into the hobby after more than a decade away. I dug this chassis out of my garage, basically a roller that I put together in 2005 and never had money (was in college at the time) for electronics, motor, etc.

The only battery packs I have are NiCds that are probably long since toasted. I believe I'll go with the new LiPo technology, if for nothing else than the longer run times. I haven't made a decision on motor yet, but brushless seems to be the way to go. So I guess what I'm getting after...

Is it a pain to retrofit the TA03F chassis to use LiPo packs, and can I fit the larger gear combos needed for the faster brushless motor?
Old 01-04-2013, 09:15 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by misterbrister
I may be getting back into the hobby after more than a decade away. I dug this chassis out of my garage, basically a roller that I put together in 2005 and never had money (was in college at the time) for electronics, motor, etc.

The only battery packs I have are NiCds that are probably long since toasted. I believe I'll go with the new LiPo technology, if for nothing else than the longer run times. I haven't made a decision on motor yet, but brushless seems to be the way to go. So I guess what I'm getting after...

Is it a pain to retrofit the TA03F chassis to use LiPo packs, and can I fit the larger gear combos needed for the faster brushless motor?
Is it a tub or plate chassis? The plate chassis is pretty easy, just space the top of the battery holder up with some washers and use strapping tape instead of the original end retainers to hold the battery in place. I am working on another solution to replace the end retainers with lipo friendly versions so tape isn't required, but I don't have the materials yet as the car is in pieces for a rebuild. Tub chassis is a different issue since they were designed for rounded edge packs. Not sure what the solution is for those.

I believe with the black gears you should be able to gear it low enough to use brushless, but I won't be able to verify that for a couple weeks.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:28 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Is it a tub or plate chassis? The plate chassis is pretty easy, just space the top of the battery holder up with some washers and use strapping tape instead of the original end retainers to hold the battery in place. I am working on another solution to replace the end retainers with lipo friendly versions so tape isn't required, but I don't have the materials yet as the car is in pieces for a rebuild. Tub chassis is a different issue since they were designed for rounded edge packs. Not sure what the solution is for those.

I believe with the black gears you should be able to gear it low enough to use brushless, but I won't be able to verify that for a couple weeks.
Unfortunately it's a tub. I see your point about the difficulty; there would be quite a bit of ABS that I'd need to dremel out to fit a square pack.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:45 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by misterbrister

There are a few round edge lipos out there...but for some reason you have to do a lil digging to find them. For instance Reedy has a couple of Wolfpack batteries that are round edged. I believe the Gens Ace series from Hobbypartz has a few too...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.