Veteran TAMIYA TA03 fans! >

Veteran TAMIYA TA03 fans!

Like Tree18Likes

Veteran TAMIYA TA03 fans!

Old 10-05-2003, 02:03 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by WhiteLX
I am not asking if my pinions will mesh. I can buy new pinions. I am asking if the gears inside the transmission case are a finer pitch.
Just trying to help.
Old 10-05-2003, 04:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Hey everyone,
I just registered and noticed a Tamiya thread. I myself own 6 03's. I just thought I would jump in and let you know I was here. My experience with the aftermarket 03 gears is that they don't last. The car runs so hot that the fine pitch gears just melt. If you are running rally I highly suggest using the stock metric 48 pitch, if you mesh them right they aren't that loud.
Old 10-05-2003, 05:02 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Hi BP SHADOW nice to have you aboard. I have had about 8 or these cars. I still have a 03R-S with plastic tub and a 03R-TRF at this time. I have been 6th in the A last year in GT2 and this year was 2nd in GT@, I was pushing the leaders 04 across the line.

These cars are still just plain fun the race with. It has always been my favorite car.
Old 10-05-2003, 06:24 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally posted by wyd
I have been 6th in the A last year in GT2 and this year was 2nd in GT@, I was pushing the leaders 04 across the line.
I am assuming this was with the 03R TRF. What is your setup? I only have setups for the 03F Pro, but since I am converting to mid motor I have no idea where to start.
Old 10-05-2003, 06:35 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Actually it was my 03R-S. I does have most of the TRF stuff on it but Ihave plastic tub on it.
Old 10-05-2003, 07:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Good to be aboard. My favorite is the RS as well. It seems to work no matter what the track surface. I have a 03 Pro that has been converted to mid motor and has quite a few hop ups on it. I am looking to get rid of it if anyone out there is interested. I also have a box full of spare plastic to go with it. E-mail me @ [email protected] .
Old 10-06-2003, 03:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: Back with 03 again

Originally posted by rowdyrj
Smaller pulley in the front would at as normal from a start than free will once up to speed with a one way install. Good turn in.

That's a little hard to understand.

Anyway, I think its the other way around. The car is configured as rear motor, with a oneway diff and torque splitter installed in front. If you put the smaller pulley in the rear, you will be forcing the car to run as a rear wheel driver. The front wheels won't be getting any power from the motor since the front layshaft will be spinning slower than the rear layshaft. The oneway diff frees up and all torques will be transferred to the rear wheels.

If I put the smaller pulley in front, I will be forcing the front wheel to take up the torque and will be dragging the rear wheels on the straight. Without a torque splitter on the rear layshaft, I imagine the two ends will be trying to fight each other. If I put a torque splitter at the rear layshaft ( with a front 1 way still fitted) I would be losing all brakes right?

I think I'll be going with same teeth pulley for the front and rear. I just finished my conversion. The DJ car is now a DJRS. It has almost all hopups available. The alloy knuckle arms and steering bellcranks are missing though so I'm using plastic ones at the moment.

I still have to run the car. I bought it primarily for running a Modelthech Brushless but if the car runs well, I might use it in place of my TBEVO1. I thought a tank-like car would be a perfect candidate for a 100,000 RPM brushless motor.

Old 10-06-2003, 11:42 AM
Tech Master

The reason you would overdrive the car (smaller pulley up front) is if you are running foam tires and have smaller diameter fronts. You would do this to either compensate for higher wear in the rear or if you have too much grip and need to cut the tires down to reduce traction rolling. You're best off using the same sized pulley for front and rear. If you have the David Jun car, you actually have a mid one-way and diffs in front and rear. Well, unless the guy replaced the front diff with a one-way. The mid one-way reduces the drag when you are coasting, but give you the same lack of braking effect as a front one-way. It's not a bad thing to have depending on the track you're on. I run the mid one-way in my car because I like being able to swing the backend around in rally. It makes the car drift really nicely.
Old 10-06-2003, 11:59 AM
Tech Regular

The only one-way differential I have seen for the TA03 cars is the one that modifies the gear differential installed on the standard TA03. I haven't seen one for the ball differential TA03s. Does one exist? I was just going to get the one-way upper shaft.
Old 10-06-2003, 12:19 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

My TRF version 03R comes with a front one way diff and a locked top shaft. I actually run both the diff and the one way in my car if I'm running GT2.
Old 10-06-2003, 01:32 PM
Tech Regular

That is what I would like to do, as well as trying different combinations.

Does Tamiya still make that one-way diff? I guess I can get the part number off their site and give them a call.
Old 10-08-2003, 01:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally posted by WhiteLX
That is what I would like to do, as well as trying different combinations.

Does Tamiya still make that one-way diff? I guess I can get the part number off their site and give them a call.

You only need the one-way bearing... it's the same as that used in the older TBEVO1 and 2 oneway diff. I think you could still find it as support for the older TB's is still present.

The unassembled kit actually came with 2 sets ball diffs assemblies in blister packs, but I found the black diff gear in there and was surprised to see a one way bearing inside. .
Old 10-09-2003, 06:25 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I just got a one way for my Ta03. The package doesn't say anything about lubrication. What do you guys lube them with?

TIA
Old 10-10-2003, 05:08 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

I didn't lube mine too much. Every now anf then I would use a little WD40 but I think over all they don't need too much oiling.
Old 10-10-2003, 09:54 AM
Tech Master

I use that anti-wear ceramic grease on my one-ways. It comes in most Tamiya kits and HPI has it available as a packaged part. It comes in a small white and blue screw top container about the diameter of a quarter. I just scrape out a tiny bit on the tip of an x-acto blade and dab it on the inside of the bearing. Works great and doesn't make the one-way slip if you only use a tiny bit.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.