GO TA03!!!

Good luck on the races man.
rough512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2002, 06:47 PM   #572
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

You know I'm actually thinking about going that way anyhow. I just think the 03 series are cool looking cars and work well. I think with some more effort I can do even better than I did in the last TCS I was at.

When I finish this 03 it will have the new Futaba 9550 digital servo, Futaba 123 FM receiver, and LRP Pro Sport since I don't really need the Pro. Only real differance is I can only run 7 turns with the Pro Sport vs. 5 turns on the Pro.
wyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2002, 07:05 PM   #573
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Kindly post your current setup for the 03? is it an R or F?

I use my 03 in our tight technical track where speed is not really a factor. I don't use it on high speed stock races since it only gets eaten up by the lighter 04's and 414's.
Old 08-18-2002, 07:12 PM   #574
wyd
Tech Legend

I think I have my setup on from our TCS race but it is a page or two back. I will have to look back to see as I have the car torn down and don't have the springs and oils on that I raced with.

The only place the )4's would get me is coming out of the corners. Other than that my 03 is just as fast. I guess I could solve most of it if I just put some better batteries and motors. I will this time. I only run it a few times a year but it is fun to run.

My TBO1 is the same way. It handles like it is on rails but it is slow out of the corner and is heavy as well. I was normally 3 to 5 oz. heavier than most but the handling and good driving made up for it.
Old 08-18-2002, 07:27 PM   #575
wyd
Tech Legend

rough512 my setup is on page 11 of this thread.
Old 08-18-2002, 11:32 PM   #576
Tech Adept

psycho

How was the race today? I have family visiting this weekend. I actually was in Napa Valley playing tour guide. I'll try to make the races in September. I hope that I will have my TA04 ready by then.

rough512

I have a basline setup that I used for my TA03 Pro on page 5 and my TA03R TRF on page 10. I run on an out door preped track.

wyd

Still running your TA03? If I recall, you also have a TB01 Evo. I am retiring my TA03R TRF and I'll be running my TA04, parts are getting harder to find for my TRF so I'll just replace the worn parts and store it away.

Anyone from the Los Angeles area? I'll be visiting family near universal studios. Any hobby shops in the area that carry Tamiya parts besides Tamiya USA? Looking for TA03 and TA04 parts.
Dayten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2002, 05:08 AM   #577
wyd
Tech Legend

I still have both the 03 and my TB01. I'm lucky our shop has alot of Tamiya parts in stock and deal with Tamiya on a weekly basis. Tamiya gets them the really hard to get stuff right from Japan, it takes a little time but I can get the stuff.

I have both cars in pieces. I'm thinking of putting a graphite chassis on my 03R. I don't know if I want to make it short or not at this time. I was thinking short only because then the servo is on the deck and not on top the top deck. Now if I use the Futaba 9550 digital it won't matter as it is small. I know why that Shurikan guy runs it. It is powerful, small, and fast.
Old 08-19-2002, 01:40 PM   #578
Tech Master

Dayten

One word... oh, wait. I can't say that here. Let's just say there were plenty of hackers out there yesterday. 9 of them were in my sedan qualifier with me. Grrr.... It was fun, though. The F201 race was the most fun for me. It was clean and everyone was relaxed, courteous and having a good time. Too bad sedan isn't like that!
psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2002, 05:15 PM   #579
wyd
Tech Legend

pyscho I hate when I have heats and races like that. It seems I spend more time off the throttle than on it.
Old 08-19-2002, 06:12 PM   #580
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

HI guys, I have a TAO3F; my frenz convinz me to convert it into TAO3R to have more steering. How true is this thing that TAo3F has less steering??? My TAO3F is a pro version similar to the david jun's edition.

And last, which gears should I stick on, .o4 or .06module?

THANKS
oro27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2002, 07:25 PM   #581
wyd
Tech Legend

Ii would try the 03R setup as I had 3 David Jun models and none of them steered like my 03R does. I would also use the .04 gears unless you hit alot of stuff then the .06 gears are stronger. I like the 04 since they run a little smoother and the gearing is a little better since your gearing changes in smaller amounts with the smaller .04 gears.
Old 08-19-2002, 09:34 PM   #582
Tech Elite

I also think the 03r has more steering off power while the 03F has more on power steering. This is only my opinion. I haven't able to prove this and I don't think I can make a qualified evaluation yet. ( I am a NEWBIE )

I based my theory on Martin Crisp's book. On-power steering is supposed to be improved by shifting more weight towards the front tires. The F version has more weight in front but then I also read somewhere that the heavier front may reduce the steering response due to increased mass, thus increased inertia, that needs to be overcome during steering.

Where do you race? There are a couple of regular guys at Fiesta who race TA03's. Bitoy uses a TA03F while Dongskie uses TA03RS. They usually race during Sundays.
Old 08-20-2002, 04:15 AM   #583
Tech Adept

Default rough512

You can tune 03F to act a certain way when you race it. Want more steering use softer springs in the front. Want more off steering try using the 02 front caster on the 03F (they where blue on the 02) especially on tight tracks. The 03 caster block is better suited for faster tracks.

With the 02 caster block you can really dive into the corners especially with a one way. I race my 03 against HPI's TC3's and Tamiya 04 in mod class and I can really set them up in the corners. The 03 will bogg down in the corners so any thing that you can do to get through the corners faster will be a good thing.

Get out an try different things, you will amazed how the 03 can still hang with the newer cars out there.
rowdyrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 07:48 AM   #584
Tech Elite

Talking OK, put your right hands on your left chest for this one

Now I won't have to go opening each page.

Dayten's Baseline Setup

Rear Suspension
Oil: 30WT
Springs: Blue
Pistons: Two hole Teflon
Ride Height: 5mm

Front Suspension
Oil: 30WT
Pistons: Two hole Teflon
Ride Height: 5mm
Toe: 0 to 1 out

Pulley: 16 tooth front and rear.
Chassis: Saddle
Super Low Friction Shocks.
No sway bars.

Also Dayten's (from xtremerc ?)

Rear
80wt oil
Blue Springs
1 hole pistons
2 degrees of camber
4mm ride height
battery to the rear
Red sway bars
16 tooth pulley

Front
80wt oil
Blue Springs
1 hole pistons
2 degrees of camber
yellow sway bars
16 tooth pulley
Stock Hub Carrier

Dayten's 03R TRF

Front
Ride height: 5mm
Camber: 1.5 degrees
Toe: 0
Swaybar: Yellow
Oil: 80WT Associated
Internal Limiters: 3mm plastic spacer
External Limiters: 1 black Tamiya rubber O-Ring
Pistons: 1-hole
Preload: 1mm
Overall Shock Length: 66mm

Rear
Ride Height: 5.5mm
Camber: 1.5mm
Swaybar: Yellow
Oil: 80WT Associated
Internal Limiters: 3mm Plastic spacer
External Limiters: None
Pistons: 1-hole
Springs: Yellow
Preload: 4mm
Overall Shock Length: 66mm

Still another Dayten Setup (he's comparing it to wyd's this time)

wyd-My setup was almost similar to your setup but just a little softer in the rear.

80WT Assoiciated Oil (front and rear).
66mm total shock length, 2 o-rings internal limiter, with 1 hole black piston (front and rear).
Stock fixed camber links.
Blue springs for the front and Yellow for the rear.
Yellow swaybars (front and rear).
5mm ride height.
15T pulleys (front and rear).
Torque splitter in front gear box.
Running a carbon fiber saddle pack chassis.
Paradox Stock Motor with .4 25T pinion gear.
Yokomo sprint medium with yokomo medium inserts on Tamiya wheels with 2mm offset.

Psycho's Setup 03F DJ

Front:
Yokomo Sprint Firm/Yokomo medium insert
camber at stock, fixed setting
zero degrees toe
stock shocks with stock, 2 hole piston
60 weight shock oil
Tamiya blue spring
diff tight enough not to slip
4.5mm ride weight
no droop or bump adjustment added
yellow swaybar

Rear:
Yokomo Spring medium/soft insert
camber at stock, fixed setting
stock toe in
stock shocks with stock, 2 hole piston
60 weight shock oil
Associated silver spring
diff tight enough not to slip
4.5mm ride height
no droop or bump adjustment added
yellow swaybar

My Favorite post in this thread

It's wyd's

Quote:
Well last night I finally ran my TA03R in the Tamiya GT2 class at our local track. Big Tamiya TCS race next week so I wanted to shake the car down some.

I started with the setup mentioned a little bit ago. I ran it with Tamiya Type A's on (the new 24mm narrow ones and they where not near as tall as their normal A's). Car had so much steering it was loose. After a few runs and changing a few things it still sucked to say the least. I finally did everything backwards and the car began to dial in.

I ended up going stiffer in the rear and softer in the front. Stiffer the rear the mare traction it would get. I ended up with the this setup on the asphalt.

Front Shocks: 90wt 1 hole piston, with blue standard Tamiya Springs. Two orings inside the shocks and one outside and no swaybar.

Rear Shocks: 90wt 1 hole piston, with dark blue Tamiya springs from the newer stiffer Tamiya touring spring set. ORange swaybar. Two orings inside the shocks.

Ride height was 4mm. Geared a P2K with a 24 pinion on a small indoor asphalt track. that is the metric .04 pinions. Ran the Tamiya Mercedes 2000 DTM body.

Well I was the only TA03R in the field. I qualified 2nd by less than a second. In the main I followed the leader for 3 laps til my tires got warm and then he went wide in a tight corner and I went under him and led from their.

Many people were really impressed with the 03R and many just scratched their heads as they just had the 03R whip their tricked to max 04's. I only had some matched 2000's as well. Many were using the 2400 and high voltage 3000's.

The car was on rails and was almost like driving with foams on. It is the best working Tamiya car I have ever owned. I have had 3 DJ cars but none worked like this beast did. The only place the 04's would get me is out of the corner. If I get a new motor and some better batteries they won't have that advantage either. Even if I only make the show at the TCS I'm sure I will have the only 03 in the field.

Can't wait to next week to run the car. No matter what happens the car has proved that if setup right it will still contend against some of the newer stuff out.

Thanks for the help from all. Oh yea the overall reduction of the car with the white gears is 2.68 to 1 for those whose want to know. Thanks to psycho's initial help I figured it out. Thanks again for that.

RowdyRJ

I may have missed your setup? I did skip pages 2 and 3 and all pages after my first post in this thread
Old 08-20-2002, 08:01 AM   #585
Tech Elite

Default Re: Race results

Oh.. just found it...

Quote:
Originally posted by rowdyrj
Just got in from the track and I won all heats and the A-Main with my 03F DJ: We had a 04, HPI and 4-Tex out there today. Lap times veried from 8.2 to 11.5 sec.

My set-up:
Protoform C-5 Vette body
Jaco Foam tires
80wt Shock oil F/R
11T Mod
HPI Gold Springs F/R
2400,2000, and 3000 battery packs
Yellow Sway bars F/R
Front One-way
Tamiya pinion gear
I was able to cut tighter lines than everyone else. The car handle the corners alot better than before the difference to between foam and tires wasn't that major some maybe a .10 of a second. but the track temp was well over a 100 deg. But all in all we had a good race and everyone was happy.