R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-19-2002, 10:46 AM   #511
Tech Adept

psycho

I'll have to see on the F201. I got to many cars again. I need to get rid of some before I buy another one. I didn't realize how much junk I have. Plus all the experts drive the F201, I have to get my driving and tuning skills down first.
Dayten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 02:48 AM   #512
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Monkok, HK.. plenty of TA-03 parts here!!!!
Old 07-22-2002, 04:14 AM   #513
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Dongskie...

Have you seen any torque rods for the 03 pro yet? What about alternative Lower Arms?

Thanks...
rough512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 08:25 AM   #514
Tech Apprentice

Dayten;

Bro, tnx. I also got some data froms Psycho's when i tried to review all the past posts.

Rough,

F'nally we met. Hope we could race again soon. Are you planning to join RCL Race this sat and sunday at Fiesta CArnival? MAybe I'll be there by morning Saturday, around 10:00 AM. I'll post if i could setup my car earlier, say thurs or friday. OK, Join ka?

==============================================

Here're some shots from the recent TAC National, Phils.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tacnats.jpg (97.4 KB, 182 views)
Bitoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 09:27 AM   #515
Tech Initiate

Default Talk about too much information!!!!

Okay,

I have a lot of free time and took Rough512's advice from my post on the Ta03.

I have just spent the last 2 and 1/2 hours reading pretty much all the relevant info on this thread and now I guess I have way too much to think about.

Shocks, springs, camber, belt tension, tire choice, motors, pinions, white gears, black gears, gear ratios, batteries, big black sunglasses......ahhhhhhhh, make it stop!!!!!

If it hadn't been 9am here I would have also taken Rough512's advice about the beer but then I would probably be considered an alcoholic......but I guess it is always afternoon somewhere

Anyway, I am still confused with internal gear ratios vs. pinion/spur gear ratios. I don't know what I am talking about so bear with me. I need someone to explain clearly about gear ratios and how they are calculated. I obviously know how to calculate a pinion to spur gear ratio where if the pinion is 10t and the spur is 60t then the ratio is 6-1.

How does the internal gear ratio come to play in all of this. How would changing the spur gear affect the internal ratio and what effect would a larger or smaller spur gear have without changing the pinion? What is a desireable ratio? I would like a specific starting point that would give best overall street performance if using a stock or mild mod motor. Then I can make adjustments from there.

So many questions, so few answers.
crookedlawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 10:52 AM   #516
Tech Rookie

Send a message via ICQ to muneratto
Cool TA03RF

Very nive pics Hacker!!
I'm posting some of my cars in the Members' rides, it'll take some days to be online. Here's a preview of them:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg babes.jpg (31.2 KB, 179 views)
muneratto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 11:25 AM   #517
Tech Master

crookedlawyer

If you have a direct drive car, like a Tamiya F103, calculating the gear ratio is simple. You divide the teeth of the pinion into the teeth of the spur. 100T spur, 20T pinion + 5.00:1. In a sedan, you have pulleys for the belt(s) and bevel gears or pullies fo rthe diffs. All of that drivetrain is used to reduce the overall ratio. I'll give you an example from my XXX-S. The internal ratio is 1.83:1. Yesterday, the track I was racing on had a long straightaway into a long sweeper. The distance from the hairpin going into the back straight to the hairpin at the end of the sweeper was about 500'. Because of that, I had to gear at a lower ratio than I would normally. I ran a 29T pinion with a 90T spur. 90/29=3.10 multiplied by the internal ratio 1.83 = 5.679:1 final drive ratio. Generally, the internal ratio is fixed. Until you get a better understanding about how gearing works, I'd suggest that you leave it the way it is and just change the pinion gear to adjust your gearing. Essentially, the reason you mess with all that stuff is to make less of a change when you go up or down a tooth on the pinion. Basically, the larger the spur gear, the finer the adjustment you get when you change pinions. You will reach a point when you can longer fit a bigger spurgear in the car or you bought the biggest one made. If you still can't get the right gearing, that's when you mess with the internal ratio. Another reason to mess with the internal ratio is when you want to underdrive or over drive the car. Basically that means that you have different internal rations on the front than you have on the rear. It's commonly used with foam tires so you can run larger diameter rear tires than you run up front to control traction or compensate for greater tire wear in the rear. Hmmm... I'm thinking that will add more confusion. I hope not. I just checked a gear ratio tool that I have and it has the TA03 listed on it. It says that the internal ratio is 2.438, but it doesn't say which gears are used. Plug that into the formula that I gave you with your pinion and spur numbers and see if it sounds reasonable. It should be way off if that ratio is for the other gears.
psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 11:53 AM   #518
Tech Initiate

Thanks Psycho...judging by all the posts i have read, you seem to be the life-blood of this thread....

Okay...I did a bit of research and some calculations and confirmed those calculations with a ratio post someone made earlier on this thread.

2.438 = internal ratio with 0.4 white gears
2.771= internal gear ratio with 0.6 black gears.

I presently have the black gears. I am planning on buying the white ones but for theoretical and educational purposes I would like to pose a hypothetical using my present stock setup.

Internal gear ratio = 2.771
Spur/pinion ratio (43/14) = 3.07
2.771x3.07
= Total gear ratio of 8.51

Is this way too high? What would be ideal? Around 6.00?
If I added a 20 tooth pinion the ratio would go down to 5.96.

On the other hand, in order to get a 6.00-1 ratio with the 0.4 white gears, a 25-26 tooth pinion would be needed according to my calculations:
Internal gear= 2.438
Spur/pinion = (63/26)=2.423
=5.91 (with 25 pinion it would be 6.14)

I think I am starting to get this!!!

One more question. If I replace the 0.6 black gears with the 0.4 white gears ....Tamiya Part# 50704.......Do I have to buy another gear set for the rear tranny?

I haven't taken apart the front or rear gearboxes yet so i don't know what I am going to find in there....plus I wasn't given the manual when I bought the Ta03 on e-bay.

So what is an ideal ratio using a good stock motor (p2k) or mild mod (17-19 turn)?
Old 07-22-2002, 12:05 PM   #519
Tech Master

crookedlawyer

Cool! That's great info. I'm sure other guys that are running this car will be glad to know the internal ratios for both gear types.

It's been a while since I've had my car apart, but 50704 has 4 gears and a bushing in the package. I don't see any other TA03 gears listed in the catalog except belt pullies. 8.51:1 would be used for modified motors, so it that's what you plan to use, it may be ok depending on the motor. If you're going to run a stock motor, you'll probably want to be in the 5.5:1 to 6:1 range. For 19T, somewhere in the 6.2:1 to 7:1 should be good and 6.8:1 to 7.5:1 should be good for 17T. You want to gear for your track, so there is no "best" gearing. It changes depending on how the track is set up.
psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 01:54 PM   #520
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the info...

I realize that there is no best gearing....but I think that there is a best starting point to find the gearing that you are looking for.

Catch you on the flipside.....I'm watching Boondocks Saints right now...what an amazing movie!!!
Old 07-22-2002, 02:00 PM   #521
Tech Initiate

By the way,

I cut and pasted a fairly comprehensive guide using posts from this thread. If anyone wants a copy just let me know and you won't have to go digging through this thread.
Old 07-26-2002, 04:27 AM   #522
Tech Apprentice

Crooked;

Can u send me a coopy of what you've got there. Thnx Bro.
Bitoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 08:22 AM   #523
Tech Initiate

Bitoy,

You're going to have to give me your 'mail address....or post it in your profile

Later,
Old 07-26-2002, 11:23 AM   #524
Tech Initiate

Bitoy, Rough512: Got my TA-03FS complete already!! see you on Saturday at RCL Cup!!
dongskie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 11:43 AM   #525
Tech Adept

I will be racing my 03F DJ with foam this weekend in the mod class at my home track.
rowdyrj is offline   Reply With Quote