wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

Dayten here is the RCO website. www.rcohobbies.com
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2002, 10:33 PM   #347
Tech Adept

Wyd-Thanks for the info on the web site. I was reading the TCS rules and since you came in the top 10, you will be able to compete in the North America Finals at Tamiya America Track in September. Will you be going to that race?

Psycho-Do you use tire traction for Castle? Just thinking of what else I might need on race day.
Dayten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 10:34 AM   #348
Tech Master

Dayten

I always have traction compound and see how it goes before using any on rubber tires. If it's warm outside and they put a liberal dousing of vht on the track, you may not need it. It's only really useful for the first couple laps until your tires get up to temp. If you run a hot lap before the start of the race, you can warm up the tires as well. Of course, you also take some of the punch out of your battery. I just picked up a can of TQ8 from Castle. I heard that it works pretty well. What tires are you planning on running? I have a couple sets of TakeOff CS27's from the Nat's that I may try. They seem like a very good tire on carpet. I like the way they feel on the XXX-S.
psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 04:33 PM   #349
Tech Adept

Psycho-I will most likely be running Yokomo Sprints in mediums with medium inserts. I will also bring the Pit 27R with the Yokomo Firm inserts. Did you run at the Carpet Nat's? It must have been pretty exciting.
Old 04-01-2002, 05:39 PM   #350
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

Dayten I would love to go but I'm still too busy at work at that time. It would be fun just to check it out though.
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2002, 03:38 PM   #351
Tech Rookie

Cool TAO3FF

Nice to hear that the TAO3's are still around. This Sunday at my LH I will race my TAO3F in front wheel drive only in the stock class. I will be racing agaist TC3s and XXX-S. I'll let you all know how I did. Do anyone run the MO3, If so what would be a good setup?
LowBucks Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2002, 10:07 PM   #352
Tech Adept

Does anyone know how to eliminate the need to run offset rear wheels in the TAO3 series cars?
Iso Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 11:04 AM   #353
Tech Master

Iso Octane

I have a TA03F David Jun Edition and I haven't found any rims that don't fit. I run 0 and up to 2 offset and all of them fit fine without rubbing. Maybe it's the brand of rim you re using. I primarily use Cross and Ride rims since they hold up very well, look good and are cheap.
Old 04-12-2002, 12:18 PM   #354
Tech Adept

Hi Psycho,

I have a TAO3R, and if I don't use rims with an offset, the rear track would be significantly smaller than the fronts.

Without offset wheels, the rear wheels won't come out wide enough (making for one silly looking car).

Perhaps since you have the pro version, it is designed to run without offsets?? The rubbing isn't a problem, just that the track is too narrow in back without offsets.

Thanks
Old 04-12-2002, 02:38 PM   #355
Tech Master

Hmmm... I never noticed the difference in track width. Maybe it's different on the F or the DJE car. It doesn't have adjustable track width, so I never put it on a setup board. You could always run 26mm rears and 24mm fronts. That may help the scale appearance.
Old 04-12-2002, 04:32 PM   #356
Tech Adept

Yeah.... Using 26mm, I believe, would only decrease from the rim to the chassis, not the from the mounting point to the proper width...
Old 04-12-2002, 06:45 PM   #357
Tech Adept

iso octane-I have a TA03R-TRF, and I thought that the R's had a wider rear end. I actually removed the longer axles and gold spacer and replaced them with the standard width universals. I am using 24mm Tamiya dish wheels with 2mm offset with a 190mm Protoform body. It is not flush with the body but it looks okay. A 26mm would most likely fit just perfect, but I need all the acceleration that I can get.
Old 04-12-2002, 08:36 PM   #358
Tech Adept

Well,,, I feel royally stupid.

I just put one of the front wheels on the rear, lined the chassis up, and lo and behold, you were right! The front and rear tracks are the same width.

With the deeper offset normal rears, the rear track is wider than the fronts!

But it looks weird with the body on w/o the proper rims... otoh, the same body looks fine on the '04.

Oh well, everything's cool.

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 04-22-2002, 09:38 AM   #359
Tech Master

Dayten

Congrats on your race yesterday! Looks like you had a pretty good run. I hope to see you out there more in the future. Sorry I didn't have much time to chat. I was doing the ironman triathalon running 3 classes. I won't be at the next Castle electric race, since I have tix for the Sears Point ALMS race.
Old 04-23-2002, 02:20 PM   #360
Tech Adept

Psycho

Thanks. I am really happy to have a 3rd place finish in my main. The guys I was pitting with said that my car looked dialed, just that my driving needs improvement. The car itself felt very easy to drive. Since this was my very first time racing, I wanted to take it a bit easy and really didnít want to push my luck going full throttle on the straight away and the turns. I just took my time and I was lucky enough to place 3rd. I was getting beat on the straight during my qualifiers, I was not getting the horse power I needed from my battery and motor. I guess I have to charge my old 1700ís at a higher amperage than 4.5 or maybe cycle it a bit more. I was able to get the speed that I needed with a 2000 pack that I had saved for the Main. The motor that I had on my car was shot according to some of the guys. It was really hard to turn the armature, they were surprised that I was able to run the Main with a motor like that. It looked like the end ball was not installed right so it caused the armature to bind. Iím not going to try to fix it since it is a 4 year old motor. Iím going to try to get another good 2000 or 2400 pack and a good stock motor for the next race. All in all I had a great time and I learned a lot. Thanks for the tip about my diffs by the way. I hope to have a car in better working order for the next race.

Congrats on making the A Main in all your classes. I think you should be running in Expert class, your cars look dialed.