R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-22-2002, 06:22 AM   #331
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

Bitboy make sure you don't have any drag brakes as it will make it dive in when you let off the throttle. Are you running Tamiya motors or are you allowed to run regular 24 degree stock motors? I know when I run a regular stock motor I make sure that I have my car setup that when sitting on the line it just tries to move forward. It really helps as if you don't the brush drag and the killer magnets of todays motors act like brakes when you let off and if you do that going into a corner it unloads the car alot of times.
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2002, 08:07 PM   #332
Tech Apprentice

Wyd;

am runnin a Tamiya Sport Tuned and/or Dyna Run Stock for we are not allowed with the other motors like NORRCA or ROAR legals. Yah, I know what you mean with drag brakes and I don't think so. I even reduced a bit from the ESC. Think that's really a problem with an 03F running in Rally Config. Thanx anyway for the tip Bro.

Bitoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2002, 09:06 PM   #333
Tech Apprentice

OH I ALMOST FORGOT

Can anybody tell me what is the exact motor limit of Futaba MC210CB ESC w/ reverse, i got an old rusty but still in condition lying in my toolbox and i'm trying to revive it. Can I use it with hot mods? Thanx again.
Bitoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 11:06 PM   #334
Tech Adept

Hi!

driver of a TAO3R, with:
FRP double deck chassis conversion,
Alluminum shocks,
blue springs front,
red springs rear,
red anti-roll bar front,
blue anti-roll rear,
12 turn motor.

It runs pretty well. Oversteers predictably, which is nice, but ultimately isn't great for all out speed.
Iso Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2002, 11:37 AM   #335
Tech Rookie

You can't use that old Futaba ESC with a hot mod. My friend used to do that and he had a bagful of fuses in his toolbox just to keep swapping them as they blew.
UsuiImpactBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2002, 08:50 PM   #336
wyd
Tech Legend

Dayten,

I ran the TCS race today with my TAO3R with the plastic tub. We have 164 entries at our race and 50 were in the gt2 class that I ran. I qualified 6th and finished 6th. Only none TAO4 in the A main. Was up to 3rd but got my self stuck on the wall. All in all not bad for a 03. 3rd or 4th was really the best I could have done with the car. Great day for the older Tamiya cars.
Old 03-24-2002, 09:54 PM   #337
Tech Adept

WYD-Congratulations for getting the TA03 in the A-Main. Did you use the same setup that you used last week? I can't wait to try my car out at next months club race. I want to try your setup, but I am having problems finding the new hard tuned spring set. I visited 5 local hobby shops and none of them had it. I guess I'll be ordering them from Tamiya tomorrow. Congratulations again.
Dayten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2002, 11:10 AM   #338
Tech Master

Dayten

I would run with Associated springs if I were you. You won't have a problem unless you run in TCS. The Associated springs fit the Tamiya shocks perfectly and are available in every imaginable spring rate. And... everyone carries them! Their spring rates also make a lot of sense and you can use the info that other racers give you to help set up your car. Everyone says that they are "running 25lb up front and 17.5lb in back." or something like that. Tamiya, Kyosho, HPI, etc. just say "hard, medium, soft, etc." If you get Associated springs, I think you'll probably want to get silver for the rear and red and blue, and maybe copper, for up front. This should give you good balance. My biggest complaint about the TA03 is that it only has fixed shock positions, so the only way to change the suspension characteristics is to to change spring. Associated has so many spring choices that are anywhere from 1lb difference to 3 or 4 lb difference to the next springrate.
psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2002, 04:32 PM   #339
wyd
Tech Legend

Dayten my local shop has them in stock. Call RCO at 717-633-9490 and as for Allison. They have at least one set in stock for sure. Tell them Brian Reigle sent you. Tuesday they open at 2:00 pm Eastern time. It is in Hanover, PA. They are one of Tamiyas biggest dealers in the country and get alot of stuff from Tamiya that other places can't get. They talk with David a fair amount. RCO has always been a big Tamiya dealer but now more than ever.

I did use the same setup except I needed a little less steering so I went to the Tamiya Yellow springs up front. They allowed racers to start using tire traction for the first time in 3 years so we ended up having more traction than before. Car was still glued to the track like velcro. I just give up alot to the 2 belt 04 cars.

I'm now getting a TB01 to try with the plastic tub so I can still run the GT2 stock class. Since I will have the plastic tub it will be legal for the GT2 Tamiya class plus I can still run GT1 mod if I would like to. I will be keeping the 03 still since I really like it. I think if I actually get the new 3000 stock high voltage cells and a fresh motor that would also be a big helper. It is just not the car but a little better stuff in it would go along way.
Old 03-25-2002, 11:39 PM   #340
Tech Adept

Psycho-Thanks for the info on the Associated springs. I was actually looking at them at Castle the other day. I was also thinking about maybe getting the TC3 to run at Castle. I still would like to run Tamiya, but unfortunately not a lot of shops carry adequate parts for them as I found out on Friday just trying to buy some springs. That also goes for the TA04 series cars. I thought for sure that San Antonio Hobbies would have them, but there was nothing. I am still going to run the Tamiya for a while until I can save enough for a new car.

Wyd-Thanks for the info in the Hobby shop. Do they have a website? I really like Tamiya kits a lot, I had about 5 Tamiya cars at one point 3 of them were TA03's, just getting part's is hard. Good luck with the TB01. I've read a lot of good things about the Evo II, it also looks really nice with all the carbon fiber.

Thanks again everyone for the great information.
Old 03-26-2002, 01:45 AM   #341
Tech Rookie

Default question

i have a ta03r and i was wondering how you fitted the batts vertically, i tried but the 2400's didnt fit... seems that only 5 of the 6 cells would fit

thanks
1053r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 06:08 AM   #342
wyd
Tech Legend

They do have a website but I need to find out what the site is. Once I find out I will post it for you.
Old 03-26-2002, 09:01 AM   #343
Tech Adept

1053r-Are you using a tub chassis or a double deck like the TRF? Try looking at the post that i made on 03-03-02. I posted a website about the TA03R-TRF. It shows a way how you can install the battery a different way.
Old 03-26-2002, 10:58 AM   #344
Tech Master

Dayten

I definitely feel your pain on Tamiya parts in the Bay Area! Check out www.mdiracing.com. Send Les and email explaining what you are looking for and he'll find the parts for you and give you a good deal in the process. He's special ordered all kinds of obscure Tamiya parts for me. I'm sure he can get you what you are looking for.

Before you get a TC3, see if you can find someone that will let you drive theirs. I'd offer to let you run mine, but a buddy of mine is using it. I have one and retired it in favor of the XXX-S. I found that the TC3 is far less forgiving than the XXX-S or the TA03 for that matter. If you are not an expert driver (like me,) you might find other cars suit your driving style better. Don't get me wrong, the TC3 is a great car. In fact, it's probably one of the best electric sedans you can get, but it seemed to me to be more of a finesse car than I like. I didn't run it with a front one-way, though. I'm sure that makes a big difference. I am more comfortable when I can "throw the car around" on the track. I can do this with the TA03F and the XXX-S. I couldn't do it as much with the TC3. You might also look at the Schumacher Mission. I have been racing with a few guys that have them and they really like the car.
psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 10:29 PM   #345
Tech Adept

Wyd-Thanks for the info regarding RCO.

Pyscho-The Mission was one of the cars that I considered purchasing. Iíve been reading the Schumacher Thread and some magazines and they have nothing but praise about the car, plus all the carbon fiber just looks so trick. The only thing that I am concerned about is the parts availability. I know Castle carries some parts for Schumacher, but not like the parts that they have for Associated or Losi. I am still keeping my options open regarding my next touring car, I will mostly likely wait until summer or even next season to get another one. I still want to see how my 03 will perform against the other touring cars. I am putting in some speed tuned gears from TOP to help with my acceleration. My car should be ready for next months club race at Castle.