R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-01-2001, 09:44 PM   #166
zxt
Tech Regular

Default Problem solved

I think for my RS4 radio problems...tho I still need to put new brushes and gain more control.

I got another question...(again you might say) I race

my 03R -> ESC, 1400 new batt, 21 pinion
vs
my bros 03F -> MSC, 1700 old batt, 17 pinion

we raced for 70 feet...we're side by side till about 30 feet, I won by 15 feet...but he keep up till 40 feet or so...I got too much will spin...we did this 3 times same results

now we changed batts (i got his, he got mine)
he's off line first...and he's pulling away until 30 feet or so...and he won by 20 feet...

Now...I think my 03R has some problems...I got to much front wheel spin...it will take me a second or so to get going...we're using same Tamiya slicks...

What do u think is the problem? I thought I got too much weight at the back...thats why I got too much wheel spin up front...this is my first time to drive an 03R...

Thanks
zxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2001, 12:59 AM   #167
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to porkybmx

Hmm, wheel spin you say? you have to tell me your car's set-up. You may need a lighter oil in the front to gain more traction, or if you are running ball diffs in the front, they may be loose, and are slipping. If you are running the stock battery set-up, the weight bais of the car should be somewhat close to 50-50. What motors are you guys using? The batteries you were using may be older so they have less punch. The new pack, even though it has less capacity, may have more punch because it is new.
porkybmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2001, 01:01 AM   #168
Tech Adept

sorry i didnt mean oil, i meant springs, softer springs i meant. but a lighter oil might help too. but changing shock oil is big hassle, that's why i love my adjustalbe serpent shocks on my corally.
Old 11-02-2001, 03:59 AM   #169
zxt
Tech Regular

Default set up you say?

I have stock set up....stock springs and 40 wt oil....batts in the middle....I'm using Matrix stock rebuildable 27T and he's only using the stock mabuchi...gonna open up the 03R tom...see what wrong i can find...no I dont have ball diffs in the front...what if my belts are too tight? Will that create what I've experienced?
Old 11-03-2001, 06:46 PM   #170
Tech Adept

belt drag might slow down your car. and if your using a stock motor, the gear diff should be able to handle it with out spinning out. Sooo I suggest you maybe fiddle around with your gear ratio, try a 23-25 tooth pinion. What pitch spur/pinions are you using? You could also maybe make sure your tires arent dusty when you are running them, b/c that could contribute to the wheel spin. Make sure nothing is binding the tranny too.
Old 11-05-2001, 05:26 AM   #171
zxt
Tech Regular

Default problem solved!

another problem solved...its my ball diff...its slipping like crazy...so I rebuild it and I used Super Lube grease (somebody told me i can use this) I'm using 22T pinion and stock spur (how many teeth stock spur has?). So thats why my front wheels are slipping bec I have no drive on my rear...weigrear dr4iveht at the back and no rear wheel drive equals to front spinning.

I changed my pinion to 19T and tested it this afternoon...my 03R is faster...like a totally different car, even much faster than before...then another problem occurs (I posted this to stock motor thread also) my stock Matrix is so hot...I have aluminum motor mount and aluminum motor cover that both serves as a heat sink and to think its only 27T motor. Its too hot to touch...I touched it for less than a sec and its too hot. What do u think makes my motor run hot? I suspect the bad batts but I'm not sure...the batts is hot already after a minute of running..also the wires coming out of it...but still has a good punch.

Thanks again...
Old 11-05-2001, 04:53 PM   #172
Tech Adept

Having a ratio too low can contribute to the high temps of the motor. But having a higher gear ratio should keep the motor temperature lower. So I guess go down a tooth w/ your pinion and see how that works. i think the stock spur has 44t or maybe its 43t. You can count them though, to make sure. Take out the spur gear and trace it on a peice of paper. It's much easier to count the teeth that way. The motor heating up could also be caused by bad solder joints that induce heat b/c of ineffecient power transfer. O'h yea, if the battery wired are hot consider switching to a zero-loss plug set such as Deans plugs or Duratrax Powerpole connectors. The factory Tamiya plugs can heat up very fast, even when running a stock motor.
Old 11-05-2001, 06:54 PM   #173
zxt
Tech Regular

Default 19T is too low?

14T is the stock pinion right? Also I read before that gearing it high makes the motor run hot not gearing it low...because the motor runs harder with higher gearing...so does gearing it too low makes it run hotter than usual too? Because it runs with higher RPM most of the time?

Whats the best pinion gear for the 27T stock rebuildables? How bout for stock silver can (540 mabuchis)? My bro's 03 which I sold him is running on 17T pinion...thats a little higher ratio than the stock 14T so I think he gain a little top speed without losing so much acceleration....

Can u give me the right pinion based on your experience...say the best compromise for acceleration and top speed on

540 Mabuchi
27T stock rebuildables
23T
19T
15T
12T

Thanks
Old 11-06-2001, 09:58 AM   #174
Tech Adept

I am a proud new owner of a TA03R-TRF. I would like to get a baseline setup for this car.

ZXt-What gears are you using. For my TA03F-PRO David Jun spec, I run the stock white gear set. I usually run a 24T or a 25T Pinion on a Trinity PK2 Stock rebuildable motor.

Correct me if I am wrong. I thought there are 2 types of gear sets, Black and White. The white gear set were usually found on TA03F-PRO, David Jun, and maybe TRF. The black gear set were found on TA03 Tub Chassis. With the white gears you would usually run a finer pitch pinion almost like a 64 pitch. I usually use a 23T pinion on a 16T double modified motor. For the black gears, I believe that you would use a 17T-19T pinion, I may be wrong since I do not run the black gear set. Hope this helps.
Dayten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2001, 12:11 PM   #175
zxt
Tech Regular

Default Balck or White?

the 03R kit I bought for only.......are you ready for this?.......$23(used but very good condition) with partial bearings included white gears...I noticed the fine teeth...

but I'm using the black ones...and I'm using 19T pinion at the moment...am I using the best possible pinion for acceleration and top end?

Porky: What can u say about my questions bout the best compromise pinions for the motors that I posted before this....

Dayten: thanks
Old 11-06-2001, 03:51 PM   #176
Tech Adept

oki, ill give you list of optimal ratio for each one and ill have to calculate what pinions you need. Gimme a day or so, im swamped with work right now
Old 11-08-2001, 10:12 PM   #177
zxt
Tech Regular

Default time is up

where is my list?

okay...another question...what will happen if I put my 03F front one way to my 03R rear? Will that work?

Will that benefit me or I'll just loose rear braking?

Also how will I solve steering slop? Is it the hub carrier? the dog bone? the hub ball bearings? The wheel axle?

Thanks
Old 11-12-2001, 05:33 AM   #178
zxt
Tech Regular

Unhappy anybody home?

??? ???
Old 11-12-2001, 01:21 PM   #179
Tech Master

Default Re: time is up

zxt

I just got a David Jun Edition and the steering is really sloppy. It seems to be a combination of a little slop in every place possible. Add all this up and you get big time slop. I will try adding some shims between the hub carriers and the knuckles. I think that will take care of a little bit of the problem. I run a standard servo, so it adds slop too. I may change to a higher end servo. Other than that, I don't see how you can reduce it much more. Maybe some shims between the knuckle bearing and the hub will help too. I ran the car for the first time yesterday and it seemed pretty good. Tons of steering, but the backend was a little loose. I wish you could lay the shocks down a little.
psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2001, 02:38 AM   #180
zxt
Tech Regular

I still have some steering slops whatever I do...anyways do you know whats the difference between the TRF graphite chassis and the FRP chassis?

Which is better?

Porky: are you there? Get out of your cave man...