Search
Like Tree3Likes

Tamiya TRF415

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 09:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by maxepower
I would like to add to this conversation by saying if your going to use steel screws, use the stainless steel screws. The kit screws, I believe are a little softer than stainless and the weight is about the same. There are many aftermarket companies that make them.

I also would add if your going to do races that there are weight limits then stick with stainless steel but if you run where there is no minimum weight requirements then getting the car as light as you can is like free horsepower.
I would take advantage of any performance gains, since the screws have to be in the chassis anyway, why not spend a few more dollars to make the car lighter and quicker coming in and out of the corners? The average racer probably can't feel the difference but you'll have the potential of saving a few tenths on the lap times for sure!
Just my 2$
okay sir, thanks for the info about ti and steel screws... will see what I can do...
Old 07-16-2007, 10:11 PM
Tech Master

I feel that the cars should be as light as possible.And the weights added can be used for tuning purposes.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:50 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ben.C
I feel that the cars should be as light as possible.And the weights added can be used for tuning purposes.
Agreed. I've been using the Ti/Aluminium screw kit's from RC Champ for ages
1) the look great (all anodized blue on the top )
2) they are about as light as you can go (unless you go full alu, which for high load areas is a no-no).

Bascially, the underside of car is Ti, and the top in the blue alu. What it does mean is that any weight I take out of the car can be put back in ballast... which can a) lower the cg and b) give another tuning option

If you take a 10g out from the topo of the car... and place it down on the chassis... instant improvement. Obviously, I doubt anyone but the best can notice a difference, but there still the psycological advantage of having done it....

regards
Ed
Old 07-17-2007, 04:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I just run Ti screws everywhere since they are relatively cheap from RC Champ. Even the Mini runs them
Old 07-17-2007, 04:35 AM
Tech Addict

another vote for champ blue aluminum/titanium screw sets.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:36 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Burlap
I just run Ti screws everywhere since they are relatively cheap from RC Champ. Even the Mini runs them
Burlap,

Any idea of the weight improvement as opposed to the stock (kit) screws in the mini?
Old 07-17-2007, 04:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PizzaDude
Burlap,

Any idea of the weight improvement as opposed to the stock (kit) screws in the mini?
There is probably bugger all, and I am not doing it from a performance stance. I just hate phillips head screws, so replaced as many as I could in the Mini with the hex head titanium screws.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:57 PM
Tech Champion

hey guys,

Forgot to mention, my site is back up and running. Been down for a few weeks whilst I sorted out a server provider issue (my fault).

Added a couple of my more recent setups, and Corey Lewis' from RRoC this year.
Also working on a better method for searching the setups... I have some ideas in the pipeline. Never know..I may even get a chance to add some newer pictures too!

regards
Ed

(p.s. for those who don't know... link in the sig )
Old 07-19-2007, 05:00 AM
Tech Adept

Hello Eirik,

I saw in the entry list of the Euros 2007(France Montbrison) that you are participate.Im also driving the Euros for team Belgium and hope to get a nice result...last year i was 62th...not bad

Do you know something about the track or have a detailed setup that i can start with?Maybe u spotted or heard something from Victor?

Il see u over there!
Old 07-19-2007, 01:02 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by belgianchamp
Hello Eirik,

I saw in the entry list of the Euros 2007(France Montbrison) that you are participate.Im also driving the Euros for team Belgium and hope to get a nice result...last year i was 62th...not bad

Do you know something about the track or have a detailed setup that i can start with?Maybe u spotted or heard something from Victor?

Il see u over there!
Hello,

Unfortnately I will not make it to the euros this year, just some bad planning actually

I have not talked to Viktor in some time, but I will see what I can find out for you.

Good luck mister!
Eirik
Old 07-19-2007, 03:23 PM
Tech Adept

Aaah no luck dudeIt should be great if i had good starting setup...the first thing i will do is go to team tamiya and give my eye a good shot, you will be surprised what you can see from all the topdrivers(some little tricks that make a big difference)and try it out myselfeven im not a topdriver

Go Marc and Victor and all the Tamiya drivers!

Thx men!
Old 07-20-2007, 11:28 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TryHard
Agreed. I've been using the Ti/Aluminium screw kit's from RC Champ for ages
1) the look great (all anodized blue on the top )
2) they are about as light as you can go (unless you go full alu, which for high load areas is a no-no).

Bascially, the underside of car is Ti, and the top in the blue alu. What it does mean is that any weight I take out of the car can be put back in ballast... which can a) lower the cg and b) give another tuning option

If you take a 10g out from the topo of the car... and place it down on the chassis... instant improvement. Obviously, I doubt anyone but the best can notice a difference, but there still the psycological advantage of having done it....

regards
Ed
Agreed

My car weights 1427 ready to race w/o transponder (18 - 20 grams). I am not that good to feel the difference of a 1500 flat car vs a ballast balanced 1500gr car but I sure see the faces of the other drivers when my car comes out 1508 with transponder. It is a psycological pressure on them, which I hope will force them in to error
Old 07-21-2007, 07:25 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
question

Need I little help guys I just a TRF415 and have a lot of question
1 What the tyranny ratio
2 Part number for a ball diff for the front
3 The place to buy parts in the US
4 Gearing for 13.5
5 Can you use any spur gear on it beside the Tamiya

Thanks
Old 07-21-2007, 07:40 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rdallier
What the tyranny ratio
Tyranny ratio = Police brutality to strike fear into citizens/Creating god myth about leader

But it also depends on the pulleys you use.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:14 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rdallier
Need I little help guys I just a TRF415 and have a lot of question
1 What the tyranny ratio
2 Part number for a ball diff for the front
3 The place to buy parts in the US
4 Gearing for 13.5
5 Can you use any spur gear on it beside the Tamiya

Thanks
1. If your pulleys are black colored, your internal ratio is probably 2.1875.
If your pulleys are white colored, your internal ratio is probably 2.25.

2. The part number for the ball diff is #53921. It does not come with a diff pulley, you need to buy that separately.

3. Try your local hobby shop...

4. Depends what track your going to run the 13.5 and how large the track is.

5. You can use any standard spur gear I believe. The Tamiya spur gears are a metric pitch, 0.4 module. Although 64 pitch pinions work fine on it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.