Search
Like Tree3Likes

Tamiya TRF415

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2004, 08:23 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally posted by KilRuf
So has anyone been racing theirs? I'm looking forward to some more racing and tuning this weekend. Last night I clipped the belts. So we'll see if that was a mistake or not this Saturday. If not, I'll have to toss on a spare set of belts.
Kilruf

ive been racing mine i love it! this car makes me look really good. finished first in the B-main for 19T (the a-main guys are pretty much factory, and expert drivers along with a TCS national champion from last year.) at my most recent race, i finished 4th in the a-main of 19T... top three were factory guys and the rest of us were ...well.. just us

the car handles exceptionally well. im gonna try the set up you gave me. im still doing a lot of experimenting.

Difuser... any word on using the same one way halves with some jb weld to make a spool?
Old 03-25-2004, 10:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Chris, Troy will have a Proto spool this weekend. We spent Sunday figuring out the center and all the measurements for the spool. I also only got 1 car because Fred had to ship cars out to Steve and everyone else so the public could get their cars. Not sure when the next load comes into the US.

For the center you will have to order a second locked pulley for the car. File a new flat onto the Layshaft so the set screw can bite into it. Then file 2-3 mm off of the spur gear holder this will take it very close to flush with the spur itself. Congratulations you have now locked the center shaft up. The parts shipment with the locked pulley should be in the US anytime now. Mr Medel was expecting them "anyday". I also ordered a second layshaft, spur holder and pulley so that if running a 1-way I don't have the modified parts in.

Oh if anyone needs some verbal abuse I was told I have another 3 weeks in the chair, but my healing is going very well so look for the gimp on crutches @ Reedy

Verbal abuse hotline 253.952.3034 call before 9PM Pacific

Cheers
Old 03-25-2004, 11:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by Difuser

For the center you will have to order a second locked pulley for the car. File a new flat onto the Layshaft so the set screw can bite into it. Then file 2-3 mm off of the spur gear holder this will take it very close to flush with the spur itself. Congratulations you have now locked the center shaft up. The parts shipment with the locked pulley should be in the US anytime now. Mr Medel was expecting them "anyday". I also ordered a second layshaft, spur holder and pulley so that if running a 1-way I don't have the modified parts in.

Or for the cenrer you can but a spare locked pully, file the pully down and pin it onto the layshaft. Rick
Old 03-25-2004, 11:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

How durable is the kit compared to most others, i drive a tc3 at the moment and i dont tend to touch the boards much, maybe breaking something every other meeting as where i race is harsh on the cars. Also how does the car compare to most on accelleration, handling etc. This may be the car to tempt me away from my TC3 if its good enough, the other was the cuda R3 but getting parts on this side of the pond would have been hard. Also, post more pictures!
Old 03-25-2004, 12:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally posted by Difuser
Chris, Troy will have a Proto spool this weekend. We spent Sunday figuring out the center and all the measurements for the spool.
Hey Difuser(hope you are feeling well!)... I just got my car built yesterday and it looks solid. Makes me want to run it at Reedy if I do get in... Keep us updated on the spool pls... Mr. Crabtree did a very good job on the EvoIII last year... hopefully I can get hold of one of these this year as well...
Old 03-25-2004, 01:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

eeyan,

oops, did I give that away? hehehehe...yes, I'll be back running GT-1 this year (I miss racing at Tamiya )

By the way guys, we have spare parts in for the TRF415 and a bunch of new hop-ups for the car as well. Look for an update sometime today or tomorrow.

Steve Wang

Last edited by SpeedTech; 03-25-2004 at 02:46 PM.
Old 03-25-2004, 01:39 PM
Tech Lord

steve..

save two of each hopup for me and eeyan! we'll be there later today to pick them up!

btw.. can you get center pulleys and spare one ways?

Difuser.. please save two spools for me and eeyan!
Old 03-25-2004, 01:44 PM
Tech Lord

Originally posted by berger
How durable is the kit compared to most others, i drive a tc3 at the moment and i dont tend to touch the boards much, maybe breaking something every other meeting as where i race is harsh on the cars. Also how does the car compare to most on accelleration, handling etc. This may be the car to tempt me away from my TC3 if its good enough, the other was the cuda R3 but getting parts on this side of the pond would have been hard. Also, post more pictures!
when i ran my TRF415 last sunday in 19T.. i got nailed three times at the end of the straight by cars going full throttle.. in the following order.. one was a T-bone.. the other spun me around, and the last hit nailed the rear right end of my car.... what broke do you ask?

nothing. kept on racing. ive had similar incidents with retaining walls jumping out in front of my R3 at our local track here called socal.. but ill save that for the R3 thread. damn walls!

i highly doubt you need to worry about durability issues.
Old 03-25-2004, 01:56 PM
Tech Master

How would you compare the car in performance to something im used to, my TC3 or an Xray. Handling etc. Do i need to get out of the groove that tamiya's used to have of being noisy slow and uncompetative unless you really worked at them?. (at myself) Thanks for answering my point Hebiki.
Old 03-25-2004, 03:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I would say the car is very competitive in any class. I normally race Stock here since there are not very many mod drivers. I've actually done the best I've done at this track with this car the first time I raced it. But part of that is because I'm crunching down on myself into setups and tuning. I've raced TC3's, XXX-S G+, Yokomo SD, Evo3... etc.. They can all do about the same. The main thing is if you can drive and tune a car with a oneway since this is currently the only way the 415 comes. It has tons of tuning options like any other car. I can feel small changes that I make.

And the car is very durable. Plus it's very very quiet. And I like that! All you hear is the motor winding out and the tires scrubbing. Hmmm you don't really need anything as far as tuning options except 2 spring kits. But I would also suggest getting the optional aluminium rear hubs for more camber link mounting positions. Other than that, you just need spare parts you normally would have for other cars... like arms, hubs, knuckles.. etc.

I can't comment on acceleration just yet. I need a few more races to tell. Also depends on how tight you want the belt. But the handling is just great. Just give us more time to get used to the car and we can give you more input. I'll see if I can best my times from last weekend.....
Old 03-25-2004, 03:27 PM
Tech Master

Sounds good, now who wants a second hand TC3?
Old 03-26-2004, 05:19 AM
Tech Master

Default Spools

Chris, There will be a spool with your name on it, and maybe one with Ian's name on it. Don't worry bout that. But you might be able to get them through your "Speed" shop in the short future. There is some testing going on on a few other cars as we speak. And hopefully in the next few weeks there might be a few 415 spools in your area.
Old 03-26-2004, 07:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Re: Spools

Originally posted by tamiyarcracer
Chris, There will be a spool with your name on it, and maybe one with Ian's name on it.
Ouch that "maybe" hurts... I've been a good boy this past year mr. t... Just kidding... I just talked to our "local" source yesterday and confirmed the spools... THANKS for the info!
Old 03-26-2004, 07:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: Spools

Originally posted by eeyan
Ouch that "maybe" hurts... I've been a good boy this past year mr. t... Just kidding... I just talked to our "local" source yesterday and confirmed the spools... THANKS for the info!
What about me? What about me?
Ian you got the "Stuff"?
What is my team driver number?

Those damn Ti are holding me up building my 415. Done everything else... shocks, prep the chassis, built the universals, one way, ball diff... sigh

body, body, body body
Old 03-26-2004, 08:40 AM
Tech Lord

Talking THANK YOU!

izzy.... get the signature right! no colors.. wrong font size!

i swung by speedtech yesterday... and gave steve the "cash" for your Ti screws. eeyan should have em.

mr T. thank you so much for the spool! i really would prefer to run this car for reedy since this is my first reedy race.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.