Search
Like Tree3Likes

Tamiya TRF415

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 02:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hey Guys.

Just wondering if anyone would have an asphalt set-up for the MSX yet???

I am keen to get mine out for a run.....but at this stage i am too sick to,

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Glenn
Old 10-20-2005, 02:47 AM
Tech Rookie

Have you a carpet set-up for MSX, whit Sorex 36b Tyres?

Thanks from Italy
Old 10-20-2005, 03:34 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mr-s413bt
Hey Guys.
Just wondering if anyone would have an asphalt set-up for the MSX yet???
I am keen to get mine out for a run.....but at this stage i am too sick to,
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Glenn
Try this one
http://www.thard.co.uk/rc/TRF415/setups/ashby(MSX).jpg

The only things I would probably change are to lower the front roll centre a little (say 3mm under the front link) and put yellow roll bars on all round (on the advice of david spashett). Car felt dialed in completely.

HiH
Ed
Old 10-20-2005, 03:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Heya.

Thanks heaps Ed!!

I've got plently of time to wrench on the car atm! lololol

Glenn
Old 10-20-2005, 04:13 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think Carl did the same thing as me.

I bought this car for a great deal used, $225 used MS version. I decided to get the MSX kit for it. Now last week my RDX needed a part to run so while i waited for my order , I decided to give the MSX a carpet try.

Friday night with just the stock MSX kit on the MS Chassis ..., the car was junk! Figured it was due to the insane amout of flex. So Saturday I set out dremel in hand :P and decided to make some serious mod's to the car to see what I can get. I returned to the track Sunday and was very suprised to the difference. The car felt totaly different and was actually turning some very quick laps ( not as quick as my RDX , but still quick) All In all I think this is a great carpet set up for anyone who has this car and want's to race it on some high grip with foams.

I also added the center post support as well from what I saw on an previous post.

Here's the pics :

As for set up , here's what I was running:

Front
________

60wt oil
Associated Purple springs
Shock length 61mm
Droop 4 on yoke guage
4.5 mm ride hight
Shock top (2nd hole in from top)
Shock Bottom (middle hole, 3hole side LW arms)
1 1/2 neg camber
camber link (shortest possible) .. No spacers
4deg blocks
inside hole steering link
Blue sway bar
front belt tension ( 1 click to tight side )
1 A block rear
1 A block front [front of the car] ( with 2mm shim for kick up)
Tires, hpi wheel spacers ( Jaco dbl pink/orange 28mm) [shaved slighty on inside for clearance]

Rear
________

40wt oil
Associated Copper springs
shock length 61mm
Shock top position ( 2nd hole from top )
Lower shock (inside hole of 3hole side of LW arm)
1 1/2 neg camber
Yellow sway bar
camber link (outside hole alumium hub) .. ( inside hole on chassis mount) ..no spacers
1XD front Block
1B rear block
droop 4mm with Yoke guage
4.5mm ride hight
belt tension ( 2 clicks to tight side)
Tires, HPI wheel spacers ( Jaco dbl pink 28mm)

Motor
----------

Genisis timed 19 T
104 x 39

This setup was very fast had awesome inital turn in stering and a great overall balance. Our track is huge layout with new carpet so the traction is very high. You may want to tweak the setup to suit your driving style, but I think it's a good starting point.

ohh btw , this car may be for sale soon if anyone is interested

Good luck !!

Last edited by SpeedDesignz; 10-20-2005 at 04:27 AM.
Old 10-20-2005, 04:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

SpeedDesigns - What is that over the battery bay?
Old 10-20-2005, 05:05 AM
Tech Initiate

I have seen a few posts recently about 'slop' in steering.. I'd really like to improve this on my MSX - ive got all standard ball-joints etc - and it really is loose.. And that includes the poor servo saver..

Does anyone know a good quailty servo saver (for futaba servo) that doesnt have any slack in it?

Plus what parts should I use to replace the dodgy ball joints on the steering (they pop off easy once they are worn as well) can they be replaced with something like the XRAY ball joints which are screw down so they dont come off..

I have just ordered the Square STV-35 Aluminum knuckle - which I hope will help as well.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:32 AM
alb
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by F. Alonso
SpeedDesigns - What is that over the battery bay?
That's a CRC T-Fource battery hold down.
Old 10-20-2005, 06:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

problems uploading photos last night...need a new cable...should have them in a few days.

Anyway, the photos posted by speeddesignz capture the concept. Although I notice in his photos there are no shims under the rear brace between the posts and under the front brace between the MSX carbon fiber.

They are important, because, without the shims, the braces do not sit square to the alum pieces. Resulting in a tweaked chassis.

Its hard to tell in the photo, perhaps its the angle of the photo, but is the center post being used bending the MSX up plate? Which tube did you use, that's not a bad idea.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)
chadder

I put in the spool not sure if it matters but now I have a bad chadder when I turn the ft ide say about 1/2 to 3/4 full turn the cvd may have a 1mm of slop otherwise I got out all the slop and the bearings are new everything is lubed not sure whats up...
Old 10-20-2005, 09:58 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Customworksking
I put in the spool not sure if it matters but now I have a bad chadder when I turn the ft ide say about 1/2 to 3/4 full turn the cvd may have a 1mm of slop otherwise I got out all the slop and the bearings are new everything is lubed not sure whats up...
Chatter always occurs with a spool in, you won't get rid of it because it's due to the driveshaft's design (basically and to put it simple, they are not constant velocity, like their name would like to make you think).
Old 10-20-2005, 10:14 AM
Mal

Chatter doesn't always occur with a spool. I've been running a spool in my 415 for the past 2 months and no chatter has occured. I've raced the spool on both asphalt and carpet (Both on rubber tires).

Check to make sure there isn't any excessive notching in your spool.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:34 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Mal
Chatter doesn't always occur with a spool. I've been running a spool in my 415 for the past 2 months and no chatter has occured. I've raced the spool on both asphalt and carpet (Both on rubber tires).

Check to make sure there isn't any excessive notching in your spool.
I would like to see that. It's inherent to the design of the driveshafts and the fact that the outdrives are directly coupled to each other. Only with a spool with delrin outdrives will you not feel excessive chatter, but you'll always experience a lot of wear, for that in any case the driveshafts are driven at constant velocity, yet they are not turning at a constant velocity and so hits both sides of the outdrives.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:54 AM
Tech Regular

this is going to seem like a silly question (probably been asked before too), but i put on my thick skin and ask... will the msx conversion kit work on the original 415 (the non-MS version)

i gather that the MSX kit will still have somethings that the converted chassis' won't have (the stiffener post, and something else i think)
is that right?

thanks
Old 10-20-2005, 11:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

mine was installed on the original 415, but i also put LW suspension on front, and DJ on rear at the same time. i didnt try it with the 1st gen suspension, but i dont see why it wouldnt work...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.