Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

Tamiya TRF415

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 11:05 PM
Tech Initiate

I think the best screws I ever bought was the ones from Square. They are shinny chrome steel. The 415 is light in weight anyway. I'll have to pick up some more when I go to Hong Kong in a couple of weeks.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have just got back from running My MSX - Very impressed so far. It is a bit more stable at Mod Speed, turns better and is quite a bit quicker in corners. My lap times are better also.

And the fact you can have the rear diff out in basically second's is just darn brilliant !
Old 10-07-2005, 12:27 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by AKARA
I think the best screws I ever bought was the ones from Square. They are shinny chrome steel. The 415 is light in weight anyway. I'll have to pick up some more when I go to Hong Kong in a couple of weeks.
I agree. The square ti screws are the best. The tamiya screws are expensive and I find them on the soft side.
Old 10-07-2005, 01:05 AM
Tech Initiate

IT ARRIVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (The MSX Kit that is)

The nice people from ETamiya sent it out UPS and I didnt get done for any import tax hurrah

Now the decision is if to revert to standard suspension for first run or try the MSX + DJ PRO ....

Oh the decisions...
Old 10-07-2005, 01:23 AM
V12
Tech Elite

I bought a Square Ti screw kit for my EVO3. Very good quality and strong. But a good screwdriver is a must anyway. Like the Hudy or LRP.
The aluminium screws may look cool but I donīt want the risk breaking them. Especially when used in some expensive aluminium parts like bulkheads.
Old 10-07-2005, 01:37 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by nickhalstead
Now the decision is if to revert to standard suspension for first run or try the MSX + DJ PRO ....

Oh the decisions...
Try it without the DJ first, just like setup changes...... One at a time.
Old 10-07-2005, 01:42 AM
V12
Tech Elite

Now I also have a 415 MSX conversion on the way.
But itīs really not easy getting one. Most shops are sold out.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:23 AM
Tech Addict

My LHS still have some boxes left. Those who are still looking for it
can try emailing the shop owner. [email protected]
Old 10-07-2005, 02:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by V12
The aluminium screws may look cool but I donīt want the risk breaking them. Especially when used in some expensive aluminium parts like bulkheads.
Yeah, one of my beautiful aluminium screws broke in the top deck. Lucky where it snapped off at the head, there was plenty thread to unscrew it out.
Old 10-07-2005, 05:10 AM
Tech Regular

got mine, it looks awsome, however, i wish they made a kit for peole who have the ms, and not a 415 with lwt suspension. the damper stays and steering piece was un necasary along with half the hardware, lose the t-shirt and they could have sold the kit for about $150.
Old 10-07-2005, 05:55 AM
Tech Addict

Default lightweight suspension

has anyone encountered problems installing their lightweight suspension on their regular 415?

i can't get the holes on the rear block to line up with the chassis. the instructions ask for spacers to be put under the rear block. but i wish to have it sit flat on the chassis.

front rear block /3mm spacer/2mm spacer/suspension arm/3mm spacer/rear block.

Thanks in advance
Old 10-07-2005, 06:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Those guys interested in purchasing screws cheap...Check out mcmastercarr.com This place has everything...ball bearings, screws, tools, shims, nuts etc...

I've been buying from them for years...I always purchase stainless steel screws for all my cars. They look great and you can purchase 100 screws between $5-$8, depends on the size of the screws.

Like someone posted earlier, I also do not use alum screws in alum bulkheads. Similar type metals will bind over time. Dis-similar(sp) metals will never bind. Be care.

Also, check out the APEC-5 bearings. I've found them to be far superior to anything available to the R/C market. Unfortunaltly they are not sized for 1/8th scales. Little speed secret for ya....

My MSX has just shipped from Speedtech, thanks Steve for the support. Can't wait until next week.
Old 10-07-2005, 06:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by odawg315
got mine, it looks awsome, however, i wish they made a kit for peole who have the ms, and not a 415 with lwt suspension. the damper stays and steering piece was un necasary along with half the hardware, lose the t-shirt and they could have sold the kit for about $150.
Look closely, and you'll find the damperstays are needed.
The new ones are different, as the mounting points for the the towers on to the bulkheads has been raised, necessarly because of the quick access bulkheads.
Still not sure on the difference of the steering plates though... if any.

Personally, I quite like my t-shirt... very comfy

Regards
Ed
Old 10-07-2005, 06:52 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by racer
has anyone encountered problems installing their lightweight suspension on their regular 415?

i can't get the holes on the rear block to line up with the chassis. the instructions ask for spacers to be put under the rear block. but i wish to have it sit flat on the chassis.

front rear block /3mm spacer/2mm spacer/suspension arm/3mm spacer/rear block.

Thanks in advance
Encountered that little problem as well. If you've downloaded the PDF manual for the set from TAM website, the last part of the instructions does suggest to file the inner part of the arms if it gets in contact w/ the bulkheads. I personally didn't feel like doing it, so I just adjusted the mm spacers - instead of using a full 2mm spacer as suggested, I installed 2 pcs of 1mm spacers & evened the front & rear spacers to 4mm / rear arm / 4mm. The inside portion on the arms cleared the bottom part of the bulkheads. I think the result w/ that slight mod will give you a total 259mm wheelbase rather 260mm. Which I assume should't cause a negative effect on the car's handlling.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:27 AM
Tech Fanatic

A new shirt huh. Mine has a piece of bubble wrap. It might make it around my arm!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.