Search
Like Tree3Likes

Tamiya TRF415

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 07:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Herc Driver
Hey could you guys (I know its possibly not the appropriate thread for vs. topics) tell me which is better for stock racing the EVO IV or the 415? The both have the same suspension right? I would guess the EVO would be a more "free" car...but of course thats why I'm asking.

Thanks
Paul
I have a friend who has raced both the Evo IV and 415MS. For stock racing, he says that the Evo IV is the better car, with the stiffer chassis. However the 415 is better suited to Mod with its more flexible chassis.
Old 09-30-2005, 08:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I dunno if the Evo is a stiffer car. But it tweeks easier. I run my Evo quite flexible. No center braces. And I run o-rings and flat head screws up front on over the steering and very front two screws on top deck. This is for stock racing on asphalt.
Old 09-30-2005, 08:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default evo v.s. 415

I like the 415 personally. Yes shaft is more efficient, but the 415 handles better, smoother and more consistently than the evo imho. At the end of the day however both cars will do a great job.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Talking MSX initial Set-up!

Originally Posted by Martin Crisp
I like the 415 personally. Yes shaft is more efficient, but the 415 handles better, smoother and more consistently than the evo imho. At the end of the day however both cars will do a great job.
Martin,
I plan on getting the MSX conversion for my 1st generation 415. It has the lw suspension. My question for you if you could answer is, I have the 3mm chassis and being that it's .5mm thicker then the MS bottom deck. Can I put .5mm shims all the way around to keep the CG the same as the MS. What would you do if you put the conversion on your 415? I mostly race at the Tamiya track. Starting to consider set-up for Reedy next year.
Any input would be appreciated!!
Old 09-30-2005, 11:08 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by maxepower
Martin,
I plan on getting the MSX conversion for my 1st generation 415. It has the lw suspension. My question for you if you could answer is, I have the 3mm chassis and being that it's .5mm thicker then the MS bottom deck. Can I put .5mm shims all the way around to keep the CG the same as the MS. What would you do if you put the conversion on your 415? I mostly race at the Tamiya track. Starting to consider set-up for Reedy next year.
I also have a similar concern as well. I have the std 415 & built per instructions with the addition of the hop-up parts (D block/A bridge for the front, front spool /locked ctr pulley, belt tensioner, white belts & rear bulk head stiffiner). I currently installed the light weight rev arms but have not driven it yet @ my LH asphalt track. The last time I raced it w/ the std arms, the car was dialed for the track. I ran the car w/ AE 40 shock oil, 2 hole pistons, AE Gold/Silver springs & red sway bars f/r with a stk motor.

When I installed the the light wt. rev arms, I kept the same set-up, the std size shims for the front susp blk & rear blks as well. I was able to download the pdf file instructions for installing the lt wt rev arms from TAM website & noticed that their were no shims for the front blk on the illustration for the front arms but for the rear arms it showed it had shims. I'm not sure if I should leave the shims for the front susp blk or remove it based on the illustration from the instructions & also for the rear blks as well.

Any input will be appreciated since I really like the way the car handled w/ the std arms.
Old 10-01-2005, 01:44 AM
Tech Rookie

what type of gearing do you run on the 415ms at indoor track?

i run an 19t team brood reedy motor

my spur gear is original (102)
Old 10-01-2005, 01:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

what kind of indoor track are you talking about ? asphalt, carpet, 100 feet, 40 feet ?
Old 10-01-2005, 02:11 AM
Tech Rookie

its carpet

and the track is 25 meters long and 13 meters wide
Old 10-01-2005, 03:33 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by marius
its carpet

and the track is 25 meters long and 13 meters wide
I ran the same motor on wednesday night with 108 - 32 and I was getting serious amounts of over heating. The track is smaller than that (don't know the exact dimensions)

Strange thing was that I checked my overall gear ratio to what some of the xray's were running (around 7.9 - 8.1) and they werent getting any overheating problems.
Old 10-01-2005, 03:34 AM
Tech Initiate

Has anyone seen any of the Tamiya drivers using the DJ Pro + MSX upgrade? is there any reason they won't work together?
Old 10-01-2005, 03:40 AM
Tech Regular

Yes - I believe David Jun used both at the Reedy Race.
Old 10-01-2005, 03:42 AM
Tech Rookie

i think you overgeared your motor

last i run i geared 6.3 on the motor and with your gearing you are in 7,3 and that is to much for the 19t motor...... maybe im wrong.......
Old 10-01-2005, 04:57 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by maxepower
Martin,
I'm not quite sure I understand you here....
Is this for the bulkheads or suspension blocks?
If for the bulkheads... why? by placing shims under them, your negating the benifit of the conversion, which is a lower CoG. Why would you want to make the conversion to the same RC as the MS? I can't see the point. As a general point, from what I've been told is that you can run the car slightly softer (either by springs, or shock position).

If under the suspension blocks, your just changing the roll centre... not CoG

Regards
Ed
Old 10-01-2005, 06:06 AM
Tech Initiate

I just had a horrible thought! I run a XRAY battery bar on my TRF415MS - will the MSX Kit mean I have to go back to using tape, the pictures don't make it look like its going to get in the way? but it's something I havent looked at.
Old 10-01-2005, 06:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)
Default 415

Originally Posted by Burlap
I have a friend who has raced both the Evo IV and 415MS. For stock racing, he says that the Evo IV is the better car, with the stiffer chassis. However the 415 is better suited to Mod with its more flexible chassis.
I seen guys with the evo4 get killed by the 415 I think its the driver all day not matter what car u have, say you think the evo4 is the best car at your local track and a new guy comes from out of town with a 415 and beats your fast lap is it the car ,motor or driver ive done it and seen it done..............

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.