Like Tree3Likes

Tamiya TRF415

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 07:07 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally posted by jeffreylin
Just a FYI, Tamiya yellow 400 included in the kit is closer to 30wt.
Thanks. I either use Losi oil or Associated.
Old 05-11-2005, 07:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally posted by wyd
I might do 40wt with 3 holes that way I will have a good comparison if I use the same oil but different piston. I might get a better feeling that way.
I'm using 40wt Schumaker oil with two holes. I found the car to handle nicely with it. Maybe it is a mind over matter thing since I always ran two hole pistons in other chassises.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:20 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Originally posted by Burlap
I'm using 40wt Schumaker oil with two holes. I found the car to handle nicely with it. Maybe it is a mind over matter thing since I always ran two hole pistons in other chassises.
Yes I have normally ran 2 holes in mot other cars except my Losi and my EVO IV I had. Both had 3 hole pistons. I guess it is something to try since I have two sets of Tamiya shocks so I though what the heck. Only way to learn and see how it makes my 415 feel.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

ATM I'm using 30wt oil with 3 hole pistons front + rear and the car seems to handle the bumps at our track pretty well. I have another set of shocks that I'm going to have different so we'll see how that goes.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:37 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Well I think it is a great idea to try it. Its that or I just have a new set of tamiya shocks sitting around doing nothing.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally posted by F. Alonso ATM I'm using 30wt oil with 3 hole pistons front + rear and the car seems to handle the bumps at our track pretty well. I have another set of shocks that I'm going to have different so we'll see how that goes.
I found the handling too "soggy" with three holes. Once again, it could be a mind over matter thing.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Yeh, 2 holes may be okay with stock with the right oil, but I have used 3 holes in Stock as well and for rubber asphalt racing its nice, but its kinda a sure thing with modified asphalt rubber racing.
Old 05-11-2005, 10:13 PM
Tech Addict

Default Re: Oil weights

Originally posted by Ill Factor
I run on medium grip asphalt and run 2 holes in front wht 35wt & 2 holes in rear with 40. Car really digs in on the corners and Chicanes. I am easily the fastest in and out of turns at our track. I am also using yellows front and rear with read stabilizers front and rear. I have abother set of srpings on order and plan on trying softer spring with thicker oil to see what kind of action I get. Right now the car is dialed as hell.

Eirik, have you guys experimented with a center oneway and a front dif? I have been using this setup for a few weeks and the car is much more predictable.
No, I have never had a diff up front before, however, I went to Denmark last weekend to test the Euros track. I tried the RcManiax spool and I loved it!! The car was very close to perfect!!

I think a diff up front will be too slow in most situations, it will make the car super stable though! But it might be a good thing on some tracks I guess....
Old 05-12-2005, 01:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Eirik check PM !!
Old 05-12-2005, 02:25 AM
Tech Addict

YGPM
Old 05-12-2005, 08:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Tamiya spool!

http://www.teamjoybox.com/shs05/shs05273.jpg

Source: http://www.teamjoybox.com/shs05/shs2005_index.html
Old 05-12-2005, 09:09 AM
Tech Master

looks pretty crap to me, although i wonder if the fact that the bearings are around the place where the pins goes in the delrin outdrives may not solve the issue they had on the TiR spool
Old 05-12-2005, 09:11 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Diff

If you run a diff up front and leave the middle oneway the front wheels still free wheel, just not as long. The car has actually become faster do to the extra stabilty in and out of corners. I cant see how a spool would be any better. Are you guys running the spool with a locked center pully or the oneway center pully?
Old 05-12-2005, 09:16 AM
Tech Adept

Ill - The Spool might not be better into or in the middle of the corner, but it should be far better on corner exit. The diff will allow one wheel to spin, not giving you as much traction. Spool acts like a one way on power.

If you have your diff tight enough, it won't allow the inside wheel to spin, but then it's acting more like a spool everywhere else.

On that Tamiya spool, I don't know why they used the Delrin outdrives. From what I've seen, they wear out in less than half the time of the black outdrives, and that's on a diff. I'm sure the spool will be much harder on the outdrives. Maybe they will be cheap, unlike the delrin diff outdrives, but I doubt it.

Mike
Old 05-12-2005, 09:25 AM
Tech Addict

Default Re: Diff

Originally posted by Ill Factor
If you run a diff up front and leave the middle oneway the front wheels still free wheel, just not as long. The car has actually become faster do to the extra stabilty in and out of corners. I cant see how a spool would be any better. Are you guys running the spool with a locked center pully or the oneway center pully?
I know what you mean and it can work good on some tracks. Actually the new losi comes with this setup in the kit!!

With a diff up front you will have problems with spinning of the inside front tire coming out of corners, atleast I had that problem last time I tried. The car was super easy to drive so if the track is tricky it will work good I guess....

With a spool you have maximum drive from both front wheels and I feel that I can accelerate much sooner with that setup. I can also let off the trotle a litle later going into the corners and even break hard if I have too!!
I always use the locked centerpuley when I use a spool...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.