Like Tree3Likes

Tamiya TRF415

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 06:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally posted by Nexus
tried it out......doesn't fit.

have to use 42mm in back and 46mm up front on the stock suspension 415.

if i use 42mm ones up front they barely go into the oneway outdrive........is that strange or do i have something setup wrong?
well, i know that the older Evo III outdrives are a little shorter, and that may cause the prob you have, if they got swapped. but if all is 415, the 42mm should be the ticket... unless you are using the hybrid Yoke diff... then you need the 46s.
Old 03-17-2005, 08:05 AM
Tech Regular

Can you put the old suspension right on the MS car or does it need modifications?
Old 03-17-2005, 08:14 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

[i]Originally posted by Holmenkollen Can you put the old suspension right on the MS car or does it need modifications?

No mod's nessary. The only difference is the MS is 2.5mm thick, and the standard is 3mm.
Old 03-17-2005, 08:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally posted by Holmenkollen
Can you put the old suspension right on the MS car or does it need modifications?
The MS has different bulkheads, it requires that you remove matterial from the arms to get it to work...I think most have found the MS is a better asphalt than carper car (foam).
Old 03-17-2005, 08:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Excellent, I'm an Asphalt guy so I like the sound of that.
Old 03-17-2005, 10:10 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally posted by koabich
Sounds like you do not have something assembled correctly. 42mm, when using all stock 415 components fit perfectly. Actually in this case 46mm would be way too long.
thanks...right now for whatever reason the 46mm fit up front.

it has 1D and 1D in the front and stock arms, chubs, and knuckles...weird. i got the car used but maybe try to dismantle it and rebuild the frontend up per instructions.

http://home.comcast.net/~anthony.isl...46mm_front.jpg
Old 03-17-2005, 10:14 AM
Tech Adept

Maybe it's due to the both D blocks in the front, which are wider than the standard setup. Have you checked the overall width of the front of the car? I think D/D is over 190, but don't quote me on that!

Mike
Old 03-17-2005, 10:28 AM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by SCML
Maybe it's due to the both D blocks in the front, which are wider than the standard setup. Have you checked the overall width of the front of the car? I think D/D is over 190, but don't quote me on that!

Mike
I'm looking over the car now...I've never owned a Tamiya so I'm not familiar with the 1D, 1A, C ect blocks...
Old 03-17-2005, 10:46 AM
Tech Adept

If you don't have the manual, Tryhard has some good info on his site, link in his sig. It can be a little confusing, but once you've played with it a little, it gets easier.

The standard blocks go from A (or maybe X) to E in width, with E being the widest. The World Champ Parts kit has narrower blocks, they go opposite in width, which can be more confusing...

I have the MS, so my info may be different, not sure. The box setup for MS is A bridge and A block, which puts the car around 189mm (I think) in the front with 3 mm of wheel spacers on the axels.

From your picture, it seems if you used narrower A blocks, the 46 would be too long. I'm not sure of the actual mm difference in the blocks, but it's pretty substantial between A and D.

If it works, and car is legal width (if that even matters to you), then stick with it.

Mike
Old 03-17-2005, 11:21 AM
Tech Champion

If you don't have the manual, Tryhard has some good info on his site, link in his sig. It can be a little confusing, but once you've played with it a little, it gets easier.
OK....looking at the spreadsheet he made...if someone can help out with this.

Is the 1st chart for stock rear suspension using stock rear hubs to figure rear toe?

and

Is the 4th chart for stock suspension to figure out inboard front toe?

Thanks for any help.
Old 03-17-2005, 11:22 AM
Tech Addict

Nexus,

Most likely your car is fitted with the Light Weight one-way outdrives from the 414M, they are shorter and has a hole tru them!
This is what I use on my car as well, with the 46mm bones!
The longer bones also has less angle, works smoother.....
Old 03-17-2005, 11:25 AM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by Eirik
Nexus,

Most likely your car is fitted with the Light Weight one-way outdrives from the 414M, they are shorter and has a hole tru them!
Eirik.

Thanks...finally got the car.

Which setup did you recommend before for indoor carpet/rubber tires. You sent me a couple but was wondering which was best on med grip ozite on rubber tires. stock/19T motors.

I'll leave it with the 46mm since it does not seem to have any binding or anything.
Old 03-17-2005, 11:50 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Eirik
Nexus,

beat me to it
Old 03-17-2005, 11:53 AM
Tech Master

Is the 1st chart for stock rear suspension using stock rear hubs to figure rear toe?

and

Thanks for any help.
If you're talking about the old suspension, then Ed's only got the stock rear hubs which are 2° outboard.
Old 03-17-2005, 12:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

and

Thanks for any help.
Right, First chart is the angle you have inboard, or for when using 0deg rear hubs.

2nd one is for the stock suspension 2 deg rear hubs, gives the total rear toe angle.

3rd is for the 1deg rear hubs (option on stock suspension, std with LWT).

4th is for the front INBOARD toe, much like the first. The only reason I say inboard, is because you can set the total (ie outboard) with the steering links

Hope it helps
Ed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.