Like Tree3Likes

Tamiya TRF415

Old 11-14-2004, 04:21 PM
Tech Regular

I take it the xenon spur gears you guys are using are 64p?

What make of pinion gear do you use with them?

Cheers
Old 11-14-2004, 09:04 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Foam Carpet

I was just wondering if anybody is running a 415 on carpet with foam tires.

I am going to try my hand at this very soon and was wondering if anybody has a set up or suggestions on what to start out with. My car has a Yokomo front diff and locked center pully along with the old style suspension.

Thanks

danjan
Old 11-14-2004, 10:12 PM
Tech Initiate

yeah i too want to run foam on 415 i am using evo 4 suspension and i cannot fit grp 26mm foam to my car even with spacers!!! does anyone know if someone makes 24mm foams or if you can cut foams down because i have a tire truer. also anyone have a base asphalt setup for the 415 using the new suspension set?
Old 11-14-2004, 11:54 PM
Tech Regular

26mm TRC fits the car with original suspension, after doing the front c-hub king pin mod. 28mm TRC/Jaco requires shocks to be moved in to inner holes on the a-arm, along with little mod to rear sway bar holder. And yes, you can true/cut the tire/rim down to what ever width you'd like, but it does take some grip away. Jaco used to make 24mm foams, but everyone's gone to 28mm. Just get the 28mm, and shave them down to fit your car. I don't think you can go wider then 25mm with LW suspension though?
Old 11-15-2004, 12:45 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I wouldn't recommend using LW suspension with foam. You get bad coning on the front wheels no matter what camber you run, even with hig rollcenters.

I have used the old suspension with 26mm foams many times on the evo3 and tao4. It works fine you just have to trim a little off the inside edge of the front wheels. I think tamiya sells a ball end with a shaved top they may help this too, or just cut the top off yourself!
Old 11-15-2004, 02:29 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default interesting things spotted

Hey guys
benn looking at pictures of tamiya cars from the worlds here
http://www.radiocontrol.gr/galleries...gtamiya051104/

Noticed some interesting things.

Looks like marc wasn't running the chassis braces, and also had some alloy retainers holding the roll bars in place.

Marcs car front end

Also from that pic, might be able to figure out the setup on that car (certainly looks like the race one with all the weight on)

Also noticed therse new wishbones and hubs on what looks like an evo4... Looks as though the end of the shock is now mounted on the bottom of the hub.

New wishbones/hubs
New wishbones/hubs 2
New wishbones/hubs 3

So new suspension set in the future then?

Ed
Old 11-15-2004, 04:32 AM
Tech Adept

Default TRF 415 on carpet with CS 22

Has anyone tried this. I will be racing it on sunday (assuming it comes in time) Can anyone recomend a good base setup with these tyres. I dont have the lightweight suspension but i should have the fixed pulley.

thanks for any help
john
Old 11-15-2004, 04:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: interesting things spotted

When you say alloy retainers do you mean to prevent side to side movement of the rollbars in the bulkhead? If so i have ran these for years, buy them off Fastrax in the UK they are meant for nitro cars for the throttle and brake linkages. Just makes it all a lot more precise. Also makes roll bars are home made ones iirc.

The new suspension was made by david jun for his evo 4, they dont know if it will be made or not.

Rick

Originally posted by TryHard
Hey guys

Noticed some interesting things.

Looks like marc wasn't running the chassis braces, and also had some alloy retainers holding the roll bars in place.

Marcs car front end

Also from that pic, might be able to figure out the setup on that car (certainly looks like the race one with all the weight on)

Also noticed therse new wishbones and hubs on what looks like an evo4... Looks as though the end of the shock is now mounted on the bottom of the hub.

New wishbones/hubs
New wishbones/hubs 2
New wishbones/hubs 3

Ed
Old 11-15-2004, 05:25 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: interesting things spotted

Originally posted by Rick Draper
When you say alloy retainers do you mean to prevent side to side movement of the rollbars in the bulkhead? If so i have ran these for years, buy them off Fastrax in the UK they are meant for nitro cars for the throttle and brake linkages. Just makes it all a lot more precise. Also makes roll bars are home made ones iirc.
Yup thoose were the ones I was talking about, might have to go get some... I guess they work.

Originally posted by Rick Draper

The new suspension was made by david jun for his evo 4, they dont know if it will be made or not.

Rick
Cool, be interested to know what the difference is ove the other sets.
Ed
Old 11-15-2004, 05:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Dawgmeat: I'd ask your hobby shop to contact Tamiya USA directly if they seem to have problems getting 415 parts elsewhere. The prices are slightly higher but its still worth it. From what I've been told speaking with the Tamiya rep, parts are still available. I just received a shipment direct from Tamiya of optional and extra parts for my 415, the order was made through Bruckner Hobbies. I use the Rockland Store, call and ask for Brian. They are closed on Mondays.

Gargoon: I'll be at hobby chamber all day saturday finishing my 415. Unless you want to build it for me during the week. When are you going to PA, you'll pass by my place, stop by.
Old 11-15-2004, 06:35 AM
Tech Adept

Default Re: TRF 415 on carpet with CS 22

Originally posted by Grindog001
Has anyone tried this. I will be racing it on sunday (assuming it comes in time) Can anyone recomend a good base setup with these tyres. I dont have the lightweight suspension but i should have the fixed pulley.

thanks for any help
john
Hi, I run my 415 with standard suspension with cs22's on carpet. I run on a tight track with in 27 and 19t. My setup gives lots of steering, which suits my driving style, so if you want less you will need to make subtle changes to it:

Front:
D/A blocks
50wt trinity oil
white springs (tamiya)
yellow roll bar
1.5deg camber
CS22Pre glued (med inserts)
shocks mounted 2nd hole from inside on shock tower
no shims under suspension blocks

Rear:
B/D blocks
45wt trinity oil
blue springs (tamiya)
red roll bar
1.5deg camber
CS22Pre glued (med inserts)
shocks mounted on outer hole on shock tower
2mm under front rear suspension block
1mm under rear rear suspension block

Note: this is running dual-one ways, I wouldnt recommend running a fixed center unless you have a spool or front diff installed.

Hope this helps...

Old 11-15-2004, 07:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default New body Parma alfa

I guess this the new body of the month
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TRF415-picture-097.jpg  
Old 11-15-2004, 08:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Re: interesting things spotted

Originally posted by TryHard
Hey guys

New wishbones/hubs
New wishbones/hubs 2
New wishbones/hubs 3

Ed
What Rick said...They are prototype arms made from aluminum and anodized flat black to look/camoflage like standard plastic pieces. The geometry is like a progressive rate suspension and stable during neutral/light loads while it stiffens during cornering.
Old 11-15-2004, 10:18 AM
Tech Master

just got the old 415 out again.tested on carpet with rubber tyres and old suspension.this se-up really works.

front;
springs white
shock oil;schumacher 30 wt
damper position on mount;2nd hole in
damper postion on wishbone;outer
roll centre;used holes on damper stay.top hole
camber;1.5degrees neg
caster;stock?
toe;+1.5deg
steering link hole on hub;foreward most
wheelbase;all the was back
anti-roll bars;yellow
ride height;5.5mm[ride limit in rules]
droop;3mm

rear
springs blue
shock oil schumacher 30 wt
damper postion on mount 2nd hole in from outside
damper position on wishbone;outer
roll centre spacers.omm
camber;1.5deg
toe;a-d blocks
wheelbase;1mm spacer in front of wishbones
ride height;5.5mm
droop;2.5mm.

tight technical carpet.
tyres;cs22
insert;jb yellow
body;alfa 2
stock motor.monster based
gearing;24/102
Old 11-15-2004, 11:44 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (99%+)
Default stop by?

Originally posted by Carl Giordano
Dawgmeat: I'd ask your hobby shop to contact Tamiya USA directly if they seem to have problems getting 415 parts elsewhere. The prices are slightly higher but its still worth it. From what I've been told speaking with the Tamiya rep, parts are still available. I just received a shipment direct from Tamiya of optional and extra parts for my 415, the order was made through Bruckner Hobbies. I use the Rockland Store, call and ask for Brian. They are closed on Mondays.

Gargoon: I'll be at hobby chamber all day saturday finishing my 415. Unless you want to build it for me during the week. When are you going to PA, you'll pass by my place, stop by.
Man, I would stop by, but I have the clan with me. Go to HC on thursday, thats when you need to be there.
Dawgmeat, following the trend I am setting huh, soon yours will be purple instead of blue......

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.