Search
Like Tree3Likes

Tamiya TRF415

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 01:59 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nexxus
How often do you guys replace the front CVD's? Mine have started clicking, I replaced the axle and cross joint, and have noticed wear on the shaft (didn't have one to replace it though) is it a regular thing that needs to be done or should these never need replacing? I lube with a light coating of Tamiya antiwear grease and then add graphite powder.
The light axles tend to get warped in you have ab accident or they start wearing out quickly if you dont keep them clean

I stopped using oil on the cvds long time ago as it attracts dirt. So I use them dry. yes they wear without oil but since I dont race on carpet we have lots of dust on the track. dirt with oil on the cvds is like putting them through sand paper...

I replaced my front axles last weekend (original tamiya ones) so I basically had them on for 5 races. one was bent and both were damaged at the pin side. Apparently the tamiya axles can not turn too much do to their construction (they are straight cut) So I swiched to Titanium racing ones on the front which have more steering throw in them do to their construction.

At the moment no problems but I I use the car in a tight track I will swtich to steel front units.

So to answer the question LOL, If you hit a lot you will replace a lot Unfortunately
Old 05-05-2007, 02:14 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

Just to clarify I run the steel (black) ones at the front and the lightweight blue at the rear, if this makes a difference.
Old 05-05-2007, 02:24 AM
Tech Addict

The steel ones should be ok for at least a season again if you dont have a massive accident that shears parts of your car. If you use solid on the front that puts strain on the shafts as well. after each race check the axles to see if there is slop in them. clean them and go race... you should be fine.

When I go racing I have 2 sets of spares just in case and if I see any slop wear or tear I replace both left and right with the new ones and rebuild the old one when the day is over.

Again for wide open tracks I use the light weight axles on front and rear. for tight tracks steel fronts light rears and If I go local racing at tight track I use steels all around.
Old 05-05-2007, 02:38 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Yeah got to order some shafts, tried rcmodel, takes 4 days to process as bad as rcmart, and rc-mushroom don't ship to PO Boxes, any ideas?
Old 05-05-2007, 02:43 AM
Tech Addict

order from RC Champ You will have it in a jiffy

Suganuma San or Masa San will help you.
[email protected]

have fun

Serdar
Old 05-05-2007, 03:28 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Yeah got to order some shafts, tried rcmodel, takes 4 days to process as bad as rcmart, and rc-mushroom don't ship to PO Boxes, any ideas?
Or www.rcmarket.com.hk
Also 1-2 days will send to customer !
Old 05-05-2007, 05:28 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by RC MARKET
This month RC Magazine Tamiya in Hobby show have Blue SSG upper deck & lower deck for 415MSXX !
Do you have the picture?
Old 05-06-2007, 12:20 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trf_racer
Do you have the picture?
ok
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TRF415-rcm6p13.jpg  
Old 05-06-2007, 05:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Well... looks like I'm sticking with the 415 for now. Both my evo and Type-R are up for sale, needing cash at the mo being the main issue...

Still, after todays performance (local club race), where the car was absolutely stonking (shame about the driver), I know I'll be alright
set the fastest race lap by over a 10th of a second today... won the first leg of the A, then drove like a complete tool in the second...
Used my setup from carpet wars round 6, except B/A on the front (instead of D/D) and 1.5mm of spacers behind the ackerman ball joint (instead of 1.0mm)... simply awesome, was able to carry huge corner speed into the first turn, straightlining the chicane after. Was comfotably flat out by the end of the day... a number of comments were made about the car through there

Later
Ed
Old 05-06-2007, 05:52 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Ran the 415 on the weekend with a centre one way (modified TA05 set up) and wide pitch pulleys, group event where everyone runs a Sports Tuneds, so mod drivers, Stock drivers, weekend hacks all in the same class (so people like me usually get our asses handed to us)

Managed a respectable 7th from a field of 30 odd (surprised everyone that I got myself into the A main!)

Car was extremely stable on a high grip asphalt track running a modified set up on the carpet set up Tryhard gave me (cheers mate!) Bit of front anti dive here and some more front droop ironed out the kinks so very happy. Car is now being stripped down and refitted with the MRE chassis and Polymide bearings
Old 05-07-2007, 03:12 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Toughbeard
The light axles tend to get warped in you have ab accident or they start wearing out quickly if you dont keep them clean

I stopped using oil on the cvds long time ago as it attracts dirt. So I use them dry. yes they wear without oil but since I dont race on carpet we have lots of dust on the track. dirt with oil on the cvds is like putting them through sand paper...

I replaced my front axles last weekend (original tamiya ones) so I basically had them on for 5 races. one was bent and both were damaged at the pin side. Apparently the tamiya axles can not turn too much do to their construction (they are straight cut) So I swiched to Titanium racing ones on the front which have more steering throw in them do to their construction.

At the moment no problems but I I use the car in a tight track I will swtich to steel front units.

So to answer the question LOL, If you hit a lot you will replace a lot Unfortunately
Found bicycle chain wax works well and doesnt get as dirty as grease also bicycle teflon dry lube works well.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:54 AM
Tech Adept

TryHard. Check your PM!!
Old 05-07-2007, 04:22 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Cruisaaja
TryHard. Check your PM!!
back at ya
Old 05-07-2007, 04:24 AM
Tech Champion

Ran the 415 on the weekend with a centre one way (modified TA05 set up) and wide pitch pulleys, group event where everyone runs a Sports Tuneds, so mod drivers, Stock drivers, weekend hacks all in the same class (so people like me usually get our asses handed to us)

Managed a respectable 7th from a field of 30 odd (surprised everyone that I got myself into the A main!)

Car was extremely stable on a high grip asphalt track running a modified set up on the carpet set up Tryhard gave me (cheers mate!) Bit of front anti dive here and some more front droop ironed out the kinks so very happy. Car is now being stripped down and refitted with the MRE chassis and Polymide bearings
great news good run boss
Old 05-07-2007, 04:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TryHard
Well... looks like I'm sticking with the 415 for now. Both my evo and Type-R are up for sale, needing cash at the mo being the main issue...

Still, after todays performance (local club race), where the car was absolutely stonking (shame about the driver), I know I'll be alright
set the fastest race lap by over a 10th of a second today... won the first leg of the A, then drove like a complete tool in the second...
Used my setup from carpet wars round 6, except B/A on the front (instead of D/D) and 1.5mm of spacers behind the ackerman ball joint (instead of 1.0mm)... simply awesome, was able to carry huge corner speed into the first turn, straightlining the chicane after. Was comfotably flat out by the end of the day... a number of comments were made about the car through there

Later
Ed
Nice one Ed. So did you run the front end narrower in that case or did you shim it back out? And I'm guessing you used 42mm drive shafts? Dropped a one-way back into my MRE converted MSX. See how it goes tomorrow night...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.