Like Tree3Likes

Tamiya TRF415

Old 03-01-2007, 04:08 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Stein Tumert
You find them all here http://www.tamiyashop.ch/index.php?c...=3&cPath=10_12

Good prices too!
But they don't/won't deliver to UK addresses (in checkout you cannot get beyond the first step with a UK address), and so far they have not responded to my query about this.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:40 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by tbeardmore
I need your help guy's. I've been running a 415 MSX MRE now for about 3 months now. I've been running on Carpet w/ Rubber tires and a front Spool.

It seems like I just can't get the diff. right and I'm frustrated with it.

It seems to be wearing out the thrust bearing abnormally fast. I try not to over tighten it, but it always feels like it's too loose and makes a sound like it's slipping. Could it be the belt slipping? (SCREEEEECH)

I've rebuilt the diff using ceramic balls, resurfaced the diff rings, replaced the screw and the the lock nut. I've tried lock tight.... but I keep having the same problem.

Any tips of input on how to fix the problem I having would really be appreciated.

THANKS!
check the manual for the diff build,,there is a shim that goes between the diff bearings,,make sure it is there
Old 03-01-2007, 10:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sim600
What kind of grease did you put in the thrust bearings? I think they need to be pretty thick. I use Tamiya Anti-Wear grease in mine. Not sure about others.
That's what I use.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LBSR415
check the manual for the diff build,,there is a shim that goes between the diff bearings,,make sure it is there

Yup! It's in there....
Old 03-01-2007, 11:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'd try replacing the little nut in the diff half. That might have worn out. What diff grease do you use?

Charles
Old 03-01-2007, 12:07 PM
Tech Master

I need your help guy's. I've been running a 415 MSX MRE now for about 3 months now. I've been running on Carpet w/ Rubber tires and a front Spool.

It seems to be wearing out the thrust bearing abnormally fast. I try not to over tighten it, but it always feels like it's too loose and makes a sound like it's slipping. Could it be the belt slipping? (SCREEEEECH)

I've rebuilt the diff using ceramic balls, resurfaced the diff rings, replaced the screw and the the lock nut. I've tried lock tight.... but I keep having the same problem.

Any tips of input on how to fix the problem I having would really be appreciated.

THANKS!
Get new diff rings. Clean everything with motor spray. And give it to someone who knows how to build a diff properly. And watch how he does it. But, it sounds like the same problem I use to have, which was putting to much grease on the diff balls. And the sound your talking about, have someone check to see if your belts are to loose.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:52 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SpeedDesignz
The MRE comes with titanium screw where as the MSXX does not. You can also use the 4mm chassis with the MRE or MSXX you just need to modifiy it a bit to accept the different steering rack. I've been using it on mine since new. I only run it on Carpet W/foams. The MSXX does use the Evo front.
Yes !
So MRE ver. car kit is cheaper,
& you can option Air Duct for cool down motor .2/3 arrive
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TRF415-ta-3454480.jpg  

Last edited by RC MARKET; 03-02-2007 at 09:46 AM.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

THANKS!
The sound you are hearing is the diff slipping. Try to tighten the rear diff 1/8 of a turn and see if slippage is reduced.

I had the same issue and rather than going to thicker diff grease or finding some other means to reducing diffing, simply tightening the diff helped.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Talking "DIFF OUT DUDE"

THANKS!
I just wanted to add a little more to whats been said about Tamiya diffs.
When they are built correctly they are as smooth as butta!, but if not re-built correctly they can be a real pain in the "AZZZZZZZ"!
Not only check the locknut but also the plastic piece that holds the locknut. Look very closely at them,some of them crack and get deformed from over tightening. I do a little mod to protect this piece. I put a washer between the plastic piece that holds the nut and the spring. This protect the plastic piece from getting deformed from the spring which can cut into the plastic or worse. I believe it also puts even pressure on the nut and screw.
I also use anti wear grease and replace the thrust bearing when you change the plates and balls. Hope I could be of some help!
Old 03-02-2007, 12:20 AM
Tech Adept

Hey there

I had a feeling at my MRE:s original Tamiya servo saver is little flexible, so i decided to change it. I bought Kimbrough servo saver 25 spline drive # 114 because i use Futaba s9550 and i think it`s better to use saver anyway.

I`m not visit track yet, but is that ok, or what saver you use with that servo?

Thanks
Old 03-02-2007, 02:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cruisaaja
Hey there

I had a feeling at my MRE:s original Tamiya servo saver is little flexible, so i decided to change it. I bought Kimbrough servo saver 25 spline drive # 114 because i use Futaba s9550 and i think it`s better to use saver anyway.

Thanks
Tamiya servo savers are well known for going sloppy very quickly. For all their expertise, why they have not come up with a better arrangement is beyond me.

I use the small Kimbrough servo saver that is specifically made for Futaba servos. Works beautifully.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:55 AM
Tech Adept

Yeah. I found that link as well... and there is that #114 saver.

http://www.kimbrough-products.com/servosvr.htm
Old 03-02-2007, 03:26 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Cruisaaja
Hey there

Thanks
i'm also using that for my MRE
Old 03-02-2007, 07:22 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

THANKS!
I had a problem with the Tamiya diff, it kept coming lose. The problem I was having is the locknut would spin inside the plastic locknut holder as I tightened the diff screw. I race at Tamiya's track in orange county, Fred Medel of Tamiya gave me a fix two years ago and I have never had a problem since:

Place a drop of CA glue in the placstic piece that holds the diff locknut, it will keep the nut from spinning as you get to the desired diff tightness, it also helps keep the plastic nut holder from cracking.

Good luck, I hope this helps.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:20 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

FINALLY!! The airduct for the MSX MR (or MSXX) is for sale!! It's now available for $12,00 at RcModel in Hong Kong. Too bad they don't show the actual stock...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.