Like Tree3Likes

Tamiya TRF415

Old 10-31-2006, 05:35 PM
Tech Master

Put the body over the car, check to make sure the wheel wells are even on all sides, the wheels are in the right position, then shine a flashlight from under the car, get it at an angle where you can see the shadow of the body post.

An alternative is, trinity makes some "no-brainier" body post markers, which you put on the ends of body posts, and it makes dimples on the body where you press down. Try finding those.
Old 10-31-2006, 05:52 PM
Tech Initiate

can I just use a drill or do i need one of these reamer things??
Old 10-31-2006, 07:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TacticalTimbo
can I just use a drill or do i need one of these reamer things??
I found a reamer to be tidier.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Help please with getting to hot

Hi Guy's
I really need your help on this one,I have a 415 MSX I race in modified. I have the car handling sooooo good but after 4 minutes she get's to hot and either cut's out, or the brush or motor wire comes off. They are soldered on well.
I am running
spur 102
pinnion 30
Orion 8x1 single
Ko Propo VFS-1 Pro Carbon model
4200 matched ferral batteries
and I am using a heat sink and fan.
The motor temp get's around 79-82 degree's.
What the problem is our track is large and fast with a mix of tech turn's.
Any suggestion's would be grateful.I really need help because out of the last 6 heats I have been leading until this happens, Also I do not want to burn out the ESC.
Thanks fellow TRF"s
Addam
Old 10-31-2006, 09:01 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by TRFMAD
Hi Guy's
I really need your help on this one,I have a 415 MSX I race in modified. I have the car handling sooooo good but after 4 minutes she get's to hot and either cut's out, or the brush or motor wire comes off. They are soldered on well.
I am running
spur 102
pinnion 30
Orion 8x1 single
Ko Propo VFS-1 Pro Carbon model
4200 matched ferral batteries
and I am using a heat sink and fan.
The motor temp get's around 79-82 degree's.
What the problem is our track is large and fast with a mix of tech turn's.
Any suggestion's would be grateful.I really need help because out of the last 6 heats I have been leading until this happens, Also I do not want to burn out the ESC.
Thanks fellow TRF"s
Addam

I think you're gearing a little over the moon...Your gearing calculates out to be 7.4358,a little too low for a 8 turn. Probably you should use a 28 teeth pinon. And try it out again.....
Old 11-01-2006, 12:03 AM
Tech Master

Hi and thank you for getting back to me so quickly. Is a 26 pinnion going to be okay, it's just that at the track last race meeting I gave a young guy my 29,28,27 to borrow and never got them back. I have the gearing calculator and is there a good average for modified motor's in ratio's that you can give me.
for example
7 turn ratio -----
8 turn ratio -----
9 turn ratio -----
10 turn ratio -----
11 turn ratio -----
so that when I change motors I will have a starting point.
Can you please give me some idea's.
Thank you
Addam
Old 11-01-2006, 12:54 AM
Tech Master

Hi and thank you for getting back to me so quickly. Is a 26 pinnion going to be okay, it's just that at the track last race meeting I gave a young guy my 29,28,27 to borrow and never got them back. I have the gearing calculator and is there a good average for modified motor's in ratio's that you can give me.
for example
7 turn ratio -----
8 turn ratio -----
9 turn ratio -----
10 turn ratio -----
11 turn ratio -----
so that when I change motors I will have a starting point.
Can you please give me some idea's.
Thank you
Addam

A 26 teeth pinon is ok.

And there is no 7 turn ratio -----8 turn ratio -----9 turn ratio -----10 turn ratio -----11 turn ratio -----......

Basically, motors should be geared to the track.If your track is big with sweeping corners & a very long straight then you need to gear high,meaning using a smaller spur or bigger pinon for speed. Or if your track is small,then you need to gear low meaning smaller pinon larger spur for accelaration.

How big is your track btw??
Old 11-01-2006, 01:03 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

what timing are you running on your motor? can you reduce it a bit as that should help.
Othewise, as suggested, try reducing your gearing down a bit... 7.4 does sound a bit high for a mod.
Where is the fan blowing onto? if it's onto the can, try and mount it so it's blowing onto the endbell...as thats the bit that gets hottest.
HiH
Ed
Old 11-01-2006, 02:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)
Default Spare Part number for TRF415 MSX

Hi All,

I would like to know the following part numbers for
- Spring Set.
- Front Sway Bar Set
- Rear Sway Bar Set.

Regards,
Old 11-01-2006, 03:44 AM
Tech Master

Thanks again for your replies, Ben.C I got a hold of a 28 and I will try that in the morning. The track is said to be the longest in Australia. I will take some pics on sunday. There are 2 long straight's on the track, one on the back straght and one on the main straight.My stock rollout is 35. It is only anew track and has been open on the Gold Coast of australia for 2 month's.
Thank you tryhard you are alway's there also to help. I have the motor 2 dergee's advanced.
Also the heat sink is over the can. Does anyone know where I can get a double fan heat sink from?
Tommorrow thank's to you guy's I will try this set up
Set the advance to 0
stick the 28 pinnion on.
move the heat sink closer to the endbell.
And I will keep you guy's posted on the outcome.
Here are a few pic's of the car.
Thanks Addam
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TRF415-tamiya-415msx-003-small-.jpg   Tamiya TRF415-tamiya-415msx-004-small-.jpg  
Old 11-01-2006, 03:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I was wondering what other brands of swingshafts can be used on the 415? My car came with a set of swingshafts installed in the front but i do not know what brand they are, definetly not Tamiya. I have an extra set of bones for them that are labeled MIP CVDs for MR4TC.

I am using the Tamiyas now, just curious.

Thanks,
Old 11-01-2006, 06:45 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Thanks again for your replies, Ben.C I got a hold of a 28 and I will try that in the morning. The track is said to be the longest in Australia. I will take some pics on sunday. There are 2 long straight's on the track, one on the back straght and one on the main straight.My stock rollout is 35. It is only anew track and has been open on the Gold Coast of australia for 2 month's.
Thank you tryhard you are alway's there also to help. I have the motor 2 dergee's advanced.
Also the heat sink is over the can. Does anyone know where I can get a double fan heat sink from?
Set the advance to 0
stick the 28 pinnion on.
Thanks Addam
Looking at the pic of your fan mount/heat sink, if you unscrew the fan, you should be able to remount it so that it is blowing over the endbell. (hold then fan by two screws). Hopefully that should help in the interim.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

See if you can get your hands on an asslowciated dual fan set. Comes prewired, but on no heatsink. Those Heatsinks you have on your car are excellent for this setup. Have one fan bolted with one bolt over the can, sucking air out, and have the other fan, again hanging on one bolt, hanging over the endbell. The AE fans are superb, but slightly expensive. I use this setup on my stock carpet/foam car as you generate some serious heat on carpet. works a treat.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:39 AM
Tech Master

Set the advance to 0
stick the 28 pinnion on.
Thanks Addam
Don't set your timing to 0. are you sure you're set at 2° that sounds quite difficult to reach, is it not 2 notches (which is 12° as each notch is 6°). with an 8T if you set it at 1 notch you should be fine.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Gearing TRFMAD

Rule of thumb for mod and a good starting point is add 10 teeth over the wind, so a 8 trun motor start with a 18 pinion, and go up from there. Once you figure your rollout base for the motor you should be good for all the other turns.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.