R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   do lower turns motors give less less braking (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/269288-do-lower-turns-motors-give-less-less-braking.html)

1101 01-20-2009 10:50 PM

do lower turns motors give less less braking

Hi there
do lower turns motors give less less braking ??

tc3team 01-21-2009 02:03 AM

I don't know for a fact if they have less braking or not, but in a logical sense, if you are travelling faster, you ideally need more brake FETs and/or a stronger brake frequency to get the car to slow down or stop quicker.

This is why a lot of budget, low end ESC's cannot handle a modified motor, as the FETs are usually of a cheaper,inferior quality.

I don't understand motors enough to see why there would be less braking in a modified motor, with less windings for current to pass through, I would have thought they have more braking, as there is less distance for the current flow to negotiate.

But, logic never answers everything... :D

sosidge 01-21-2009 02:22 AM

The only motors I've noticed with significantly less braking are silver can 540s, mainly because they have such a weak magnetic field, and low brush friction.

All my race-spec motors have good braking, never been a problem slowing down on the track. Although personally I rarely use the brakes anyway!

mok 01-21-2009 08:27 AM

to me its related to gear ratio and torque...

lots of starting torque pretty much equates to lots of stopping torque
lower FDRs brake less than higher FDRs (for the same motor)

it seems to hold true for my experiences at least, but i am sure someone else can explain it correctly and with more explanation :spidey:

Dragonfire 01-21-2009 02:01 PM

From experience the more powerful the motor, the stronger the brakes. Any spec motor I run needs the brakes dialed up to almost max to get the car to stop but mods you only need around 60% to stop quick.

yeahyeah 01-21-2009 11:55 PM

motors

I don't know the answer either but my thoughts:

Assuming magnets and armatures are the same in the two motors

Less turns would have more braking cos less wire on armature = less resistance.

A motor that has more turns as we all know goes slower because it has more windings(wire) = more resistance so it needs more power to slow down.

chris_dono 01-22-2009 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by Dragonfire (Post 5324010)
From experience the more powerful the motor, the stronger the brakes. Any spec motor I run needs the brakes dialed up to almost max to get the car to stop but mods you only need around 60% to stop quick.

+1

tc3team 01-22-2009 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by yeahyeah (Post 5326405)
I don't know the answer either but my thoughts:

Assuming magnets and armatures are the same in the two motors

Less turns would have more braking cos less wire on armature = less resistance.

A motor that has more turns as we all know goes slower because it has more windings(wire) = more resistance so it needs more power to slow down.

Yes, I was thinking something like this, just wasnt too sure of the technical side to it... This is something I need to learn more about :nod:

Dragonfire 01-22-2009 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by tc3team (Post 5326550)
Yes, I was thinking something like this, just wasnt too sure of the technical side to it... This is something I need to learn more about :nod:

You will find its not just the brake power, but the way the brakes are delivered. Novak motors for instance tend to have very weak brakes until you dial them up to max. LRP motors have crazy braking at high speed but the brakes disappear as you slow down. SP/Orion tend to be a little soft up high but very linear mid to low.

You really need to try you motor out and adjust your settings to suit you driving lines.

tc3team 01-22-2009 04:03 AM

I mostly race in stock (27t) and have done primarily for quite some time, so I usually need little brakes in general, but thanks for the heads up :):tire:

Sometimes I will put a 19t in and usually change the brake frequency, as with gearing I usually find that I am mostly with the right choice, and dont want to loose too much speed down the straight by gearing with a smaller pinion.

So much to learn, 15 years and still learning lots!... :nod:

Der Dicke 01-22-2009 07:39 AM

on track, lower-turns motor will break better, because they can create more power. But if the gear ratio in a car is the same (5.5 an 13.5t for example), the 13.5 will break better (because of more torque)

But that all doesnt matter. Most ESC can adjust brake from verly low to extrem high. It just depends on your ESC setup.

joe of loath 01-22-2009 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by tc3team (Post 5326750)
I mostly race in stock (27t) and have done primarily for quite some time, so I usually need little brakes in general, but thanks for the heads up :):tire:

Sometimes I will put a 19t in and usually change the brake frequency, as with gearing I usually find that I am mostly with the right choice, and dont want to loose too much speed down the straight by gearing with a smaller pinion.

So much to learn, 15 years and still learning lots!... :nod:

I think the term for stock racing is 'brakes? what are they?' :lol: