R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   The Best Electric OnRoad Car (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/268970-best-electric-onroad-car.html)

booker686 01-19-2009 09:17 PM

The Best Electric OnRoad Car

I'm not into the electric scene, but would like to get started. For whatever reason once I get into somthing, I'm in it full bore. What company makes the best electric OnRoad 1/10 car. If you wouldn't mind, would you also give a reason why you think it's the best. There are just so many on the market, so I'm thinking you can help me speed up the selection process.

jbmx4life 01-19-2009 09:21 PM

It is all a matter of personal opinion/preference.

I run an Xray T2 '008.

You are going to hear that every car out on the market right now is the best (current gen.).

cyclone speed 01-20-2009 12:23 AM

Hi ,

It has been two years i have had my HB cyclone WCE and i would like to change , would you recomend me to keep my cyclone until i gain more skills or should i change ?
What car would you recomend me to get if i change ?

Stein Tumert 01-20-2009 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by booker686 (Post 5316363)
I'm not into the electric scene, but would like to get started. For whatever reason once I get into somthing, I'm in it full bore. What company makes the best electric OnRoad 1/10 car. If you wouldn't mind, would you also give a reason why you think it's the best. There are just so many on the market, so I'm thinking you can help me speed up the selection process.

What will you run, rubber or foam?

tc3team 01-20-2009 03:10 AM

I would suggest going to a race meeting near you and seeing what cars are around before deciding.

There are plenty of factors to consider.

1) Cost

2) spare part availability- if you break your car, how long will it be before you can get the parts to fix it?

3) setup help- if others are using the same car, you can ask them for guidance on different settings :)

4) as mentioned already, are you using rubber or foam tyres?

If the boards are not too friendly, try a stronger car to start and get some practice. once you are up to speed, then you can consider a more expensive (and lighter) car.

My answer would be a Tamiya ta05 of any version (they are strong and make a good club level car).

Or, for more serious competition, A Tamiya trf415/trf416 but I am being biased as I have a ta05 and a 415 :)

okayplayer 01-20-2009 04:04 AM

I'm also starting in rc electric cars.

I wanted to make me a gift, was about to drop the XRAY T2 2008 EU RUBBER in my car (UK shop shipping to France) ... but the model is discontinued. It's too expensive in $. So no other choice to go for the 2009 :D

Money rule the world .. damn it.

Cédric

booker686 01-21-2009 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Stein Tumert (Post 5317001)
What will you run, rubber or foam?

Well at this point when I do find my way to the track, I run Foam on my RRR. I think i'd like to stay in the foam scene. Is there that big of a diffrence between the two? I had been looking at the Tamiya trf415/trf416. Is that car to advanced to start out with? Or how about the Losi JRX-S Type R.

berserk 01-21-2009 09:34 PM

try the TC5F or the xray.

the 416 is much of a rubber car.

SirSwiftAlot 01-21-2009 10:49 PM

Tamiya M03 Mini Cooper with a 3.5 brushless

Drifting101 01-22-2009 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by SirSwiftAlot (Post 5326263)
Tamiya M03 Mini Cooper with a 3.5 brushless

Someone brought one to a club meeting, the tires lasted half a lap but funny as hell!

tc3team 01-22-2009 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by booker686 (Post 5325855)
Well at this point when I do find my way to the track, I run Foam on my RRR. I think i'd like to stay in the foam scene. Is there that big of a diffrence between the two? I had been looking at the Tamiya trf415/trf416. Is that car to advanced to start out with? Or how about the Losi JRX-S Type R.

The 416 uses a 2.25mm chassis, which would probably give too much flex for racing with foams.

I use the trf415msxx indoors on foams and although it is OK for club racing, I do feel it definately has more chassis flex than the ta05 I use indoors on foams, which has a 3racing graphite chassis.

This chassis is at least 3 to 3.5mm thick and has quite a few posts joining the top and bottom decks, which make the car respond a lot faster to steering input.

That said, the 3racing chassis and ta05 were a very good budget buy when I got mine a few years back... The only other "problems" with the ta05 is that because of the cheaper cost, you only get plastic shocks (which are prone to leaking) so I changed them for the alloy blue TRF version.

Also, the dogbone driveshafts are not really racing parts, so I changed these for universal driveshafts, which can be taken apart for cleaning and replacing parts.

The foam tyre version TC5 is a good car, and obviously is built especially for foams, so should see you well too. :)

HarryN 01-22-2009 05:44 AM

Technically, wouldn't ever TC be the best car when you have it dialed and in the hands of a good driver? Usually the return on investment on a car you worked hard on and delivers just as well can quash any qualms you may have had when dumping a lot of money into the sedan in the first place, right? :D

Drifting101 01-22-2009 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by HarryN (Post 5326934)
Technically, wouldn't ever TC be the best car when you have it dialed and in the hands of a good driver? Usually the return on investment on a car you worked hard on and delivers just as well can quash any qualms you may have had when dumping a lot of money into the sedan in the first place, right? :D

No. So what your saying is that you can give Hamilton a Toyota corola and expect him to beat the average joe in a Ferrari?

HarryN 01-22-2009 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by Drifting101 (Post 5326942)
No. So what your saying is that you can give Hamilton a Toyota corola and expect him to beat the average joe in a Ferrari?

Actually, that can happen. On a track, a car that is balanced well is supreme. I remember a while back in a Car and Driver issue, they had a Porsche 911 go head to head with a Corvette. The Corvette got creamed by the Porsche, namely because on takeoff, the Corvette was busy spinning wheels while the 911 had traction and took off. :)

Anything is possible in the racing scene. Anything, if you have the money. :lol:

a_main_attendee 01-22-2009 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by Drifting101 (Post 5326942)

Well i know for sure that my ass would get handed to me by a tt-01 if say rheinard,hara,chaijdsuria, or hirosaka was driving it...

Regardless of whatever vehicle i drive...

Now, if they where running a lathe motor i may have a chance. :sweat: