R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-19-2009, 09:08 PM   #1
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default Air Travel with Lipo Cells

I was talking with a friend who works for HP and we were talking about my trip to Snowbirds. While talking he asked about flying with the lipo cells. After our talk, I did a search and got this from Safetravel.gov with a search on Google:

Q. What kinds of batteries are allowed in checked baggage?

A. Except for spare (uninstalled) lithium batteries, all the batteries allowed in carry-on baggage are also allowed in checked baggage. The batteries must be protected from damage and short circuit or installed in a device. Battery-powered devices—particularly those with moving parts or those that could heat up—should be protected from accidental activation. Spare lithium batteries (both lithium metal and lithium ion/polymer) are prohibited in checked baggage.

Q. Is there a limit to the number of batteries I can carry?

A. There is no limit to the number of consumer-size batteries or battery-powered devices that a passenger can carry. Only the larger lithium ion batteries are limited to two (2) batteries per passenger; see “Lithium ion batteries” explanation above.

So anyone who has used airlines to travel had an issue with this?? Already have the laptop as a carry on and since I'm running two oval lipo classes at a min. I was going to carry 4 lipos.
Darkside, Sweep, BSR, Fantom, IGT Hobbies and IGT8
Byrons Fuel, ProtoForm Bodies & Futaba Radio Gear by Choice
Founding Member of CORRC .... 5280raceway
www.darksidems.com www.igthobbies.com www.IGT8.com
Grenade10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:25 PM   #2
Tech Regular
Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

I just flew with all my gear. I carried of my lipo's... I even 'got chose for an additional search' where my body and my carry on was search with the rubber gloves and the swab thing with the light. No problem. However. I would bag all your oils into a zip lock and write " please seal back up ". All my gear was searched along with my personal suitcase. I opened up my bad and found the nice little card saying it was searched. All my shock oils were left open and leaked everywhere. Along with bags of motor shims, spring and small bits. It was a mess that took me hours to re organize. They f*** me real good.
Theslowguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:49 PM   #3
Tech Rookie

I agree with you,I think you are right,good luck to you guy!
Give me your hell yeah

crazy_awper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 04:54 AM   #4
Tech Adept
Send a message via Skype™ to slotracer577

Have you considered just shipping them via UPS or fedex to your hotel? Then you can avoid the whole airline mess.

slotracer577 is offline   Reply With Quote