Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ozite weekly care?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 06:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Ozite weekly care?

Our local track has the same carpet that was used at Cleveland this past year. It was bought new this past fall. We are having a problem with getting a ton of carpet fuzz on the foam tire class cars and it even wraps it's self around the front tires and makes the cars push badly. 1/12th scale stock class slows down around 1 sec a lap because of this carpet fuzz on the tires. A vacum is being used without the flapper aka brush wheel so it's just sucking up the chunks of wood, tire chunks, paint flakes, ect ect. At first everyone thought it was just because the carpet is new but it's not new anymore and it's still shedding ALOT!!

Is there anything we should be doing to get rid of this fuzz? We talked about trying a normal vacum cleaner on it but everyone seems to think thats a bad idea.

Thanks for any thoughts or ideas.

Lon
Old 01-19-2009, 06:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 123 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dasmopar
Our local track has the same carpet that was used at Cleveland this past year. It was bought new this past fall. We are having a problem with getting a ton of carpet fuzz on the foam tire class cars and it even wraps it's self around the front tires and makes the cars push badly. 1/12th scale stock class slows down around 1 sec a lap because of this carpet fuzz on the tires. A vacum is being used without the flapper aka brush wheel so it's just sucking up the chunks of wood, tire chunks, paint flakes, ect ect. At first everyone thought it was just because the carpet is new but it's not new anymore and it's still shedding ALOT!!

Is there anything we should be doing to get rid of this fuzz? We talked about trying a normal vacum cleaner on it but everyone seems to think thats a bad idea.

Lon
We just used a large shop vac type vacuum
(long hose with plastic sucker upper) with no "roller" type brush either.
I would assume you guys use Paragon or something similar?
wich should help keep the "groove" tacky, therefore less pile in the carpet.
As far as I know.. it's just gonna happen for awhile.
depending on use etc..

How fast do the cars accumulate fuzz? Is this something that should be cleaned out after each heat? Or does it collect so fast it is hurting the vehicles DURING each heat?

Again, at our old track, depending on which car I was running (ride height had alot to do with it too) I would clean out after each heat, or each day...
Old 01-19-2009, 06:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 123 (100%+)

LOL just noticed...

Your at the Woodville mall track LOL... That's the track I was talking about running at last year!
Old 01-19-2009, 06:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

Yup the good ole Woodville Mall is still going sorta.

Well running 12 scale at about the 6min mark the cars become very hard to drive because the lack of traction. Yes we run paragon. In the 5min world GT car the carpet is ok till you get off line passing someone then it takes a good lap online to clean em back off.

Cleaning the car between runs? lol I could make a king size blanket in one day of running. Front wheel bearings get packed, motor shaft between the pinion and motor gets a big ole wad in there, the rear axle gets carpet wrapped around it. On a good run you get little sorta dust bunnies under the body too.

We change the layout ever few weeks. Should we try keeping the same layout for longer? Maybe keep that black groove-O-traction going longer?
Old 01-19-2009, 06:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

The Vacum thats being used on the track is a normal upright vacum with the wheel/ flapper/ brush removed from it. I have a nice big shop vac maybe we should try using that VS the modified upright?
Old 01-19-2009, 07:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 134 (100%+)
Default ozite

Dasmopar and woodville gang ive been installing carpet for 29 years and from what im seeing this is not normal , there is to much of the yarn fibers being released , and yes i know at first this happens but its been going on for to long . if you went threw a carpet store for regular carpet it would have been replaced allready , not sure if this is a seconds piece or what but this is not normal ive been to alot of other tracks and have not found it to be like this and yes i have put down lots of ozite so i do know a little something about it im not sure on the care for it because i did not deal with that part of it but this is the worst ive ever seen i hope this sheds some lite on it and what the heck its the same for all of us
Old 01-19-2009, 08:58 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Not sure if you guys have cleaned your carpet yet, but at my local track it is vacuumed with a normal upright once a week. They also shampoo/clean the carpet once a month.

We used to have a similar problem with getting a nasty build-up on the tires about midway through a run causing the cars to push really bad. Once they started cleaning the track regularly it fixed the problem. Hope this helps. We are a Jack only track, not sure if this makes a difference or not. You may contact another local track to find out what they do for track care as well.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:10 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I am by no means a carpet care expert - but this is what we are seeing at our club.

New layout - vaccum - poor traction as the vaccum pulls up the fibers. After a heat or 2 - it gets better has the fibers get pushed back down. We are using 5-6 year old Ozite.

So - to me - the vaccuming is causing the problems. Run a few heats and all should be fine.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Call Frank at CRC. He should be able to help you with your problems with the ozite.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dasmopar

Lon
Our carpet here is 2 1/2 years old and I have a pretty regular schedule for "cleaning" the carpet. We have not steam cleaned the carpet.

Every once in awhile we will have a layout that uses a section of the carpet that does not get run on as much as others ( we change from roadcourse to oval every week, i.e. oval-mon/tues, then road wed-sun), and we will see fibers being pulled up, but not to the amount your describing.

We try to have the same layout for at least 4 weeks, but every week on the change over we spot clean the areas that have built up debris, yes we use a beater bar in the vacuum.

Traction can be an issue when we go back to roadcourse, but it is something the racers know, and the groove comes back fairly quick.

Once a month the entire track gets vacuumed, perpindicular to the main seam. I have tried various different things but that seems to work the best.I have even tried a hand broom and swept around the corners to try and get the carpet to "lay" in the right direction. We still pull up fibers on occassion, but that has more to to do with the area of carpet that is being used.

Hope that helps