Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Reedy 5000 35C Lipo >

Reedy 5000 35C Lipo

Reedy 5000 35C Lipo

Old 01-18-2009, 01:01 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Reedy 5000 35C Lipo

I waited 2.5 months to get this pack, I ran it on the weekend a few times and decided today to charge it up and discharge on the Turbo 35 and see what kind of numbers it throws out.

As I watched it discharged to monitor it.

I noticed some smoke coming out of it, It actually melted the plastic casing surrounding the terminals on the Negative Side.

35C Discharge capacity my A$$, this pack cost me alot of money $157 dollars down the drain........

Do not buy one of these........

Now when I plug the battery in, the terminal actually has some play, not sure if the terminal ( barrel connector ) has come loose from inside, or it is simply allowing the Lipo cells inside to move slightly, either way it can't be safe at this point.

Grant

Last edited by lifeguy; 01-18-2009 at 02:59 PM.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:35 PM
Tech Regular

Hi Grant,

I am not sure if you did anything wrong but they I have been running them for quite a bit and I never had a single problem yet or heard of any problem with the battery. I would call Customer Service and explain them what happened and I am sure they will take care of it !!
Old 01-18-2009, 02:49 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks Kevin, actually you were the reason why I bought the battery to begin with.

I race at Fastcats, and I remember you running it in some big race and winning, so I figured it was a good pack...

Needless to say I am a little disappointed at this point.

Perhaps the Old Aligator clips on my Turbo are worn out, and that was the culprit!

Anyway, I'll call them and try to figure it out.

One more question, what rollout do you like with a 10.5 at fastcats?
I am running Foam, TC5 & a Tekin RS ESC, no timing on the Novak Motor, but running almost max on the Speedo.

Cheers
Grant
Old 01-18-2009, 03:00 PM
Tech Addict

That sounds usual, like perhaps there was some defect in the board. If a solder joint was bad, I can see how that would heat up and cause trouble. Definitely give Rick H or someone at AE a shout, they seem like good folks that try to do people right.

Also, I'd keep the battery in quarantine somewhere safe until you receive further instruction from AE.

Your frustration is totally understandable, but sometimes these things happen, and you got unlucky this time around and drew the short straw. I think we've all been there at least once.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks Adam, your right however I drew the short end of the stick real bad this week, in the same order from Horizon, I received a Spektrum Pro module in the case wrapped in plastic, when I opened it the antenna was already broken on the thing, still waiting to hear back from Horizon on this issue.
So needless to say without Bad Luck I would have no luck at all...

Cheers
Grant

Originally Posted by Adam?
That sounds usual, like perhaps there was some defect in the board. If a solder joint was bad, I can see how that would heat up and cause trouble. Definitely give Rick H or someone at AE a shout, they seem like good folks that try to do people right.

Also, I'd keep the battery in quarantine somewhere safe until you receive further instruction from AE.

Your frustration is totally understandable, but sometimes these things happen, and you got unlucky this time around and drew the short straw. I think we've all been there at least once.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I bought one of these batteries today and found out when I opened it that the balance jack is right in the way of my battery bar. Do you guys know if you can run the battery with the center common of the balance jack not plugged in?

thanks in advance.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:06 PM
Tech Addict

The balance plug is only used when charging. You won't need access to it while it's in your car. You'll need to charge the pack while it's out of the car, which you should, in a safe bunker like a liposack.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:17 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by lifeguy
I waited 2.5 months to get this pack, I ran it on the weekend a few times and decided today to charge it up and discharge on the Turbo 35 and see what kind of numbers it throws out.

As I watched it discharged to monitor it.

I noticed some smoke coming out of it, It actually melted the plastic casing surrounding the terminals on the Negative Side.

35C Discharge capacity my A$$, this pack cost me alot of money $157 dollars down the drain........

Do not buy one of these........

Now when I plug the battery in, the terminal actually has some play, not sure if the terminal ( barrel connector ) has come loose from inside, or it is simply allowing the Lipo cells inside to move slightly, either way it can't be safe at this point.

Grant
You should call the customer serice department and if the battery is defective, it will be replaced free of charge under warranty.

I am interested in the conenction between the discharger and the battery. You said your alligtor clips might be worn out. What do you use between the alligator clips and the +/- terminals?

If you were to attach the alligator clips directly to the terminals (one side of the clip in the terminal and one on the case), a bad connectioinw ill result and the heat will melt the case.

FYI, 4mm male gold connectors of the type that go into these battery terminals may lose their tension over time. The bad connection will create a lot of heat and can damage the case if the wire does nto come unsoldered first. Consider the 4mm male connectors a wear item that should be replaced occasionally.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:58 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks Rick, that was probably my mistake, the aligator clip touching the case is probably the culprit.

I charged the battery up using the male barrel connectors last night and it seems fine, while it was charging I moved the terminal around and it did not interupt the charge, so I would say it's fine!!!

Not sure if I will try the Discharge again, and the only reason I did was I wanted to compare to the SMC stats that have been posted...

Anyway, probably my fault, which I don't think they warranty stupidity

Cheers
Grant
Old 01-19-2009, 11:05 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by lifeguy
Thanks Rick, that was probably my mistake, the aligator clip touching the case is probably the culprit.

I charged the battery up using the male barrel connectors last night and it seems fine, while it was charging I moved the terminal around and it did not interupt the charge, so I would say it's fine!!!

Not sure if I will try the Discharge again, and the only reason I did was I wanted to compare to the SMC stats that have been posted...

Anyway, probably my fault, which I don't think they warranty stupidity

Cheers
Grant
If the battery does not work for some reason and not a warranty isseu, call anyway. The guys in customer service can at least hook you up with a reduced cost replacement.