Wiki Posts
Search

Tire blows out at speed

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 10:07 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Tire blows out at speed

Hi all, I have just recently finished building a TA-05 IFSR from Tamiya and it has proved to be great to drive. Power is from a Novak Velociti 4.5R brushless with 25/106 gearing.

Today while I was running the car one rear tire burst and sent a portion of rubber flying off and exposing part of the foam insert. The rest of the tire was still well stuck to the wheel. Tire was Tamiya's Medium Narrow Type A.

Thinking that it was a freak flow with my gluing, I swapped in 4 used wheels/tires and within 3 secs of full throttle I burst both right tires.

Can someone tell me if this is a common problem and how I might tackle the problem before I destroy another set of new tires.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:27 AM
Tech Elite

Could just be the quality of the tires, coupled with the centrifugal force of the wheel. Naturally, a 4.5 brushless motor will put a lot of RPMs on the tiers. Best to get pre-glued tires and see how they run.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

switch to foams, they don't balloon at speed. If you have to use rubber, RP30's or sorex 28's will probably work well.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:12 AM
Tech Master

Switch to other brand of tires. Sorex makes very good tires and are durable. I run 3.5R on them till they wear out normally.

you would like to check on your glueing and recheck them before every run. Try not to take them on off course excursions too much. Rocks & pebbles might tear them.

Also try not to rev your car off the floor (There is no load)...
Old 01-21-2009, 08:30 PM
Tech Adept

hey thanks for all the helpful feedback. Did think of running foams but was worried they might wear too fast for my wallet to keep up with.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

SOREX and other Belted slicks should hold up better under high rev loads and not balloon as much. Come to think of it, the Medium narrow type A is belted too, no?

There are other reasons too.
- Extreme camber. If you run alot of camber, you tend to wear the tire edges extremely quickly due to high ground pressure/small contact patch.
- Extreme power. IF you gear the 4.5 wrongly, for too much torque, you'll get a lot of wheel spin, like a burn-out.

A combination of these, and you'll have extremely low tire life.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:43 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

You said just the right side tires? If your drive train totally free? Check it to make sure. It sounds like your sending un godly amounts of power to just the right side... Just a thought.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:45 PM
Tech Adept

Hmm. the first blow out was the rear left. The second and third happened to the front and rear right so I don't think its the diff or the balance of the car.

The Tamiya tires are belted but the belt broke when the tire gave way. Could see the belt fibres when i inspected the carnage.

My gearing is actually slightly higher then Novak's suggested gearing. Motor runs warn (in the evening after sundown and the surface is still warm). Not sure if I should gear even higher though.

I might try some jaco foams and see if the problem goes away. Just worried that foams will wear excessively.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

For High speed runs Go with foams!!!
Old 01-23-2009, 12:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

run sorex 36r or 32's if its colder with sorex med b inserts and dont full rev it off the ground , it can blow the rotor in the motor also....
Old 01-23-2009, 08:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

radwerx

The questions NOBODY has asked...

How and Where are you running this car w/ the 4.5 motor?

If you are just 'Straigt Linings' the car in a street or something - you are probably getting the wheel speed so high the tires just can't handle it.

I have a old HPI Pro2 that my son and I mess with on a long straight trying to see how fast we can get it before we run out of radio range. We've done Pro-Mounts (like CS27's, the waffle tires like VENOMS that don't use inserts, FOAMS and a few other brands of tires.) THE Foams do NOT like the speed on dirty asphalt..and the car would go out of control before it hit 55MPH

The CS27's have made it regularly to 62, then a tire blows off the rim...but usually can be reglued.

The harder rubber tires don't grow, but the traction is SO BAD that we can't get the car up to 60 with them.

At 62 MPH the car is so close to trying to launch like an AIRPLANE - it actually caught air once (hit a manhold cover) and flew approx 100 ft. upside down!

(NOTE: Speeds are being tracked w/ a Radar Gun)
Old 01-23-2009, 09:20 AM
Tech Adept

Well I'm running it mostly on concrete (smooth and flat but not a lot of grip) sort of like those surfaces u find on multi storey carparks. The concrete did not pose much problems except long braking distances. The blowouts occured when I ran the car on tarmac (about 1sec after I gave it full throttle from a standstill).
Old 01-23-2009, 12:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by radwerx
Well I'm running it mostly on concrete (smooth and flat but not a lot of grip) sort of like those surfaces u find on multi storey carparks. The concrete did not pose much problems except long braking distances. The blowouts occured when I ran the car on tarmac (about 1sec after I gave it full throttle from a standstill).
full throttle from standstill is NOT a good idea. Notch it up slowly and you won't have as many problems.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:07 PM
Tech Adept

haha. That was really funny.