Wiki Posts
Search

Some tips on finishing my car selection

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 11:55 PM
okayplayer

Smile Some tips on finishing my car selection

Hey,

I went for some searching / reading lots of posts and mind thinking The club where I'm gonna subscribe has an asphalt circuit.

This is what I plan to go for:

Kit
- XRAY T2 008 EU RUBBER-SPEC 6-CELL EDITION

Batteries
- Intellect 7.4V 5000mAh 30C Lipo banana plug For 1/10
- Intellect 5000mAh 7.2V Stick Pack

Power setup
MAMBA MAX 7700 ESC/MOTOR PACKAGE
Novak Velociti GTB Racing Brushless System With 5.5R Brushless Motor 7700 kv

Question : Which power setup would you go for ...? or can you propose something... wiser? I heard that it's better to pick the novak one because it's sensored.

Question : I'm missing Pinion, Tyres, Wheels, Bodyshell, spares ...? Any recommendation for each one ?

Thanks a lot,

Cédric

Old 01-19-2009, 02:22 AM
mok
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

IMHO..

- forget the 7.2V stick pack, nimh is outdated now and why make the charging issue harder on yourself with having to worry about 2 different types of batteries at the same time

- consider the IP3800 35C lipos.. more than enough C rating with capacity to run up to a 5.5T brushless

- havent heard much good about the GTB lately, you might be better off with an LRP TC Spec or SPX (how many GTBs were in the A-main at the recent Worlds? most were Nosram/LRP TC) - if forced to choose between the Mamba or Novak ESC/Motor combos I'd go Novak (but would choose LRP over this if that was an option too).

also, what class are you considering running in? the 5.5T motors are only modified touring, you might be wiser running super stock with a 13.5/10.5 (depends on what rules you use) as this will wear your car out much less, be easier to drive and almost as fast (on smaller tracks)

as for the rest, these are what i personally would choose...

- pinion: ratio needs to be worked out on the size/layout of your track, battery, motor and what spur you have - hard to suggest this

- body: Protoform without a doubt.. Mazda6 (almost agressive), MazdaSpeed6 (agressive, but used by the top drivers), Stratus (stable)

- tyres: if you're running rubber i'd go for Sorex 36/40R or Much-More 32s for asphalt (if foam I have no idea, but heard the Jacos are hooking up nicely for people)

- spares: everything to do with the drivetrain (belts, pulleys, diff cups etc) and then the things that kind of stick out and can be broken off under impact (lower arms)
Old 01-19-2009, 03:41 AM
okayplayer

Hi mok,

Thanks a lot for taking your time to share your knowledge; this is much appreciated.

If my understanding is correct (sorry I'm french); it's better to avoid ULTRA fast cars cause they are useless in the long term and less "driveable"... so I'll stay away from the 3.5T; 5.5 is really still fast ..

Motor/ESC : LRP SPHERE COMPETITION WITH X11 6.5 TURN BRUSHLESS.
=> Is this combo better, is the ESC sensored ?

Cédric

Old 01-19-2009, 04:01 AM
mok
Tech Master

first up, 3.5T brushless was never intended for 6 cell or lipo applications..
their power level is more suited to 4 or 5 cell uses (12th scale, 5 cell modified etc)

winds like 5.5 or 6.5 with 6 cell or lipo will still give you plenty of power and top speed, but wont suffer from wheelspin issues... braking is another issue with 3.5T as unless you run your braking EPA really low you'll find its easy to lock the wheels up.

really, all you're going to get by running anything lower than a 5.5T will be a harder to drive car, more costly repairs and more frequent wear and tear on major drivetrain components..

i'm not trying to sway your decisions here towards any particular brand esc or wind of motor etc, just relaying my experiences and hopefully yours can be less frustrating than mine (stripping belts every couple of races is not fun!) and more enjoyable... my experience was 5 cell 3.5T was nice to race, but a little too much motor for a short track.. a 5.5T or less wind brings back all the control on throttle and braking that you'd like without having to man-handle the car around the track etc.

And yes, the LRP Sphere Comp is sensored and so are their x11 motors - that combo you mentioned is a nice combo to run, plenty of motor in the 6.5T and good power through the Sphere Competition ESC that wont leave you begging for just that little bit more etc..

you might want to check out what your club rules are with regards to motor limits and classes that they'll let you run before you make the motor purchase (the ESC will do you good for a long time etc)..

generally classes are as follows..

novice/540 - silver can or sports tuned
stock - 27T brushed or 17.5T brushless
super stock - 19T brushed or 13.5T brushless (or 10.5T brushless depending on what rules you follow)
modified - any wind less than 19T brushed or 10.5T brushless
Old 01-19-2009, 04:12 AM
okayplayer

Originally Posted by mok
first up, 3.5T brushless was never intended for 6 cell or lipo applications..
their power level is more suited to 4 or 5 cell uses (12th scale, 5 cell modified etc)

winds like 5.5 or 6.5 with 6 cell or lipo will still give you plenty of power and top speed, but wont suffer from wheelspin issues... braking is another issue with 3.5T as unless you run your braking EPA really low you'll find its easy to lock the wheels up.

really, all you're going to get by running anything lower than a 5.5T will be a harder to drive car, more costly repairs and more frequent wear and tear on major drivetrain components..

i'm not trying to sway your decisions here towards any particular brand esc or wind of motor etc, just relaying my experiences and hopefully yours can be less frustrating than mine (stripping belts every couple of races is not fun!) and more enjoyable... my experience was 5 cell 3.5T was nice to race, but a little too much motor for a short track.. a 5.5T or less wind brings back all the control on throttle and braking that you'd like without having to man-handle the car around the track etc.

And yes, the LRP Sphere Comp is sensored and so are their x11 motors - that combo you mentioned is a nice combo to run, plenty of motor in the 6.5T and good power through the Sphere Competition ESC that wont leave you begging for just that little bit more etc..

you might want to check out what your club rules are with regards to motor limits and classes that they'll let you run before you make the motor purchase (the ESC will do you good for a long time etc)..

generally classes are as follows..

novice/540 - silver can or sports tuned
stock - 27T brushed or 17.5T brushless
super stock - 19T brushed or 13.5T brushless (or 10.5T brushless depending on what rules you follow)
modified - any wind less than 19T brushed or 10.5T brushless
Mok,

I owe you some beers - really.

I live in france - I'll get my kit from UK but if I can save money to buy the LIPOS + ESC/Motor on the same shop (in US) that would be great.

I was going on the Novak cause rc mushrooms has the lipos + motor/esc... they don't have the LRP one.

1 / Do you know where I could get the lipos + motor/esc ?
2 / Where can I get some nice prices with same shipping on tyres ?

Cédric

Old 01-19-2009, 05:27 AM
mok
Tech Master

Originally Posted by okayplayer
Mok,

I owe you some beers - really.
hehe its ok cedric, i like relaying my knowledge to others and helping out a fellow racer.. its part of the hobby for me!

if it saves someone else some hassle and $$ then why not share?

i had similar help from here and fellow racers and LHS when i was first starting and it really helped avoid some pitfalls that may not be obvious at first glance..

1 / Do you know where I could get the lipos + motor/esc ?
2 / Where can I get some nice prices with same shipping on tyres ?
these are the main shops i use online (in no particular order)..

RC Market - http://www.rcmarket.com.hk/
RC Model - http://shopping.rcmodel.hk/
RC Mart - http://www.rcmart.com/
RC Mushroom - http://www.rc-mushroom.com/

others would also use..

Stormer Hobbies - http://www.stormerhobbies.com/
Precision RC - http://www.precisionrc.com/
Nexus Racing - http://www.nexusracing.net/

...and i'm sure there's more than that!

its a bit hard to find everything you want all in the one place atm, probably because of the christmas rush that most shops would have had... it does seem like some have restocked on some items, but then they've just as quickly run out of others!

i tend to try and get everything i want from one place, but if i cant i dont like ordering from more than 2 places (postage costs) usually.. sometimes it will be express postage from one and regular air service from another too..

-Mark
Old 01-19-2009, 06:49 AM
okayplayer

Mark,

Many thanks, I can't find the LRP SPHERE COMPETITION WITH X11 6.5 TURN BRUSHLESS in $

In pounds it's EXPENSIVE!

Cédric

Old 01-19-2009, 08:48 AM
okayplayer

Mark,

Many thanks, I can't find the LRP SPHERE COMPETITION WITH X11 6.5 TURN BRUSHLESS in $

In pounds it's EXPENSIVE!

Cédric
Damn, no more XRAY 008 at Apex I'm pissed ! I have to go for the 009 and with the shipping saved because my friend is ordering here ...

Which XRAY pinion(s) do I have to go for if I choose the LRP SPHERE X11 6.5 TURN?

Cédric

Old 01-20-2009, 04:06 AM
okayplayer

Cool

Damn, no more XRAY 008 at Apex I'm pissed ! I have to go for the 009 and with the shipping saved because my friend is ordering here ...

Which XRAY pinion(s) do I have to go for if I choose the LRP SPHERE X11 6.5 TURN?

Cédric
up