R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   How does everyone measure their brushles motor temp? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/268638-how-does-everyone-measure-their-brushles-motor-temp.html)

glider72 01-18-2009 07:03 PM

How does everyone measure their brushles motor temp?

Just curious on how people are measuring this

PitNamedGordie 01-18-2009 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by glider72 (Post 5310266)

I use a Cen-Tech temp gun...kinda like this Duratrax version:

http://www.hobbyetc.com/jpeg/d/dtxp3100.jpg

andrewdoherty 01-18-2009 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by glider72 (Post 5310266)

I use a similar temp gun. I make sure the lens is clean every week though. I have found lint on the lens from carrying it around in my pocket causes errant readings. I then kinda slide the temps gun up and down the length of the can until I read the highest temp. Each motor brand seems to have a hot spot. Novaks are on their purple ring, my speedpassions are at the end and the same with the hacker losis I've run. I try to do this immediately after my run.

glider72 01-18-2009 07:39 PM

Thanks this helps:nod:

mok 01-18-2009 07:44 PM

i actually use that Duratrax temp gun pictured above..
my method is very similar to what andrewdoherty has written also

Tire Chunker 01-18-2009 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by andrewdoherty (Post 5310359)
I use a similar temp gun. I make sure the lens is clean every week though. I have found lint on the lens from carrying it around in my pocket causes errant readings. I then kinda slide the temps gun up and down the length of the can until I read the highest temp. Each motor brand seems to have a hot spot. Novaks are on their purple ring, my speedpassions are at the end and the same with the hacker losis I've run. I try to do this immediately after my run.

The center ring on a Novak motor will give you the highest temp reading on your gun but this is not the hottest part of the motor.

The center ring reads the hottest due to being a flat color instead of shinny metal. Put your finger on the motor and you will notice that the endbell section is dramatically hotter than the center ring.

Most people are getting temp readings on their Novak's 20-30 degrees lower than the actual temp. Trust your finger not the temp guns on Novak's.

You can put some black enamel paint on the motor to get a better reading.

Damn emissivity of shinny metal objects.

mikifiki 01-18-2009 08:17 PM

i use the duratrax temp gauge if it gets more than 175 degrees it's to hot acrding to novak

Theslowguy 01-18-2009 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Tire Chunker (Post 5310620)
The center ring on a Novak motor will give you the highest temp reading on your gun but this is not the hottest part of the motor.

The center ring reads the hottest due to being a flat color instead of shinny metal. Put your finger on the motor and you will notice that the endbell section is dramatically hotter than the center ring.

Most people are getting temp readings on their Novak's 20-30 degrees lower than the actual temp. Trust your finger not the temp guns on Novak's.

Was going to say this. Look in your manual. You can set it to what your going to read. Trust the finger...

mok 01-18-2009 09:01 PM

i know the DuraTrax can be adjusted for emissivity, but then it makes other temp readings less accurate..

Grizzbob 01-18-2009 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Theslowguy (Post 5310742)
Was going to say this. Look in your manual. You can set it to what your going to read. Trust the finger...

Or better yet, do what I do & use the Novak Sentry's temp sensors(I use its analog sensor wrapped around my motor), works VERY well(& you can see a bunch of other things that the Sentry records to boot)....:cool:

sosidge 01-19-2009 04:01 AM

With this issue in mind is anyone using a probe-type thermometer instead? Or do they also have drawbacks?