Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Novak GTB with no Lipo-Cutoff ???

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 08:43 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Novak GTB with no Lipo-Cutoff ???

I recently purchased a used TC5 with a Novak GTB ESC and a speedpassion 13.5 brushless motor. I am using a trakpower 4900 7.4v battery. The car runs well but from the box and manual that came with the ESC there is no mention of a Lipo cutoff. Can you purchase lipo cutoff add-on? If not what do the guy on here do to ensure you protect you battery from getting below 6v? Would this battery last for 15 mins before needing a recharge. We run 2 5 min heats and and 5 min main at the local track.

Thanks for the help.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

novak 2 cell lipo smart stop

lhs or online have them
Old 12-08-2008, 08:53 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

You could run back to back heats and then charge for the main. If I were you I would just charge it everytime you come off the track.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:01 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

thanks, I will look for the smart stop tomorrow.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I have ran a GTB with no LiPo cut-off with a LiPo pack with no problems. I just charged the pack after every run. I also made sure that the motor and esc where within temp range, along with the pack.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:53 AM
Tech Master

All my cars have the original GTB (non lipo cutoff) and just recharge after each heat will be fine.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:59 AM
Tech Addict

So does it mean that i can run my ORIGINAL GTB (that was cheaper then the other ones so it was the original one) with some lipos without worrying !!!!
I have had that GTB for almost 1 year and i was only running nimh but i wanted to run lipos , so you guys are telling that i can run my original GTB with lipo !!!
Please tell me if i can ! I would be so glad , thanks
Old 12-09-2008, 12:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

Originally Posted by cyclone speed
You can use a lipo with any esc. Just make sure you never run the lipo below 6 volts.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cyclone speed
So does it mean that i can run my ORIGINAL GTB (that was cheaper then the other ones so it was the original one) with some lipos without worrying !!!!
I have had that GTB for almost 1 year and i was only running nimh but i wanted to run lipos , so you guys are telling that i can run my original GTB with lipo !!!
You can use a lipo battery with just about everything. The problem isn't the ESC not working, the problem is that without a cutoff you can easily over discharge the battery which ruins it.

I guess the simple answer to your question is yes, you can absolutely use the lipo with the GTB; just be aware of over discharging the battery, or just buy the lipo cutoff.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:20 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

You can also send the GTB back to Novak and for 65.00 they will send you a refurb GTB with the cut-off.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:36 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by IH8Racing
You can also send the GTB back to Novak and for 65.00 they will send you a refurb GTB with the cut-off.
Originally Posted by rcterp
You can use a lipo battery with just about everything. The problem isn't the ESC not working, the problem is that without a cutoff you can easily over discharge the battery which ruins it.

I guess the simple answer to your question is yes, you can absolutely use the lipo with the GTB; just be aware of over discharging the battery, or just buy the lipo cutoff.
Originally Posted by Krio
You can use a lipo with any esc. Just make sure you never run the lipo below 6 volts.
Thanks guys , i apreciate for the super quick repply , but i wont send back the esc to novak because it will take for ever to send it and it will take for ever to receive it back , even with a quick postage i prefer to keep it .
Do lipo batteries get under 6v after each run because i see at my local track people using lipo with GTB with lipo cut off but the cut off never cuts off , i guess its because the lipo doesnt get under 6v so should i really worry ?
I know its a funny question but i would really love to run my gtb without buying the cut off .Is there another way to check the voltage off the lipoduring the run ?
I know that a voltmetter would work , so if i charge my lipo @ 1c , i check the voltage : normally 8.4v then put the lipo in my car , run it for 1 min , check the voltage with the voltmetter ( still above 6v) then recheck the volt at 2min (still above 6v ) and i do this for just above 5 min = 1 race .
I do this check 5 times , charge pack , check volt every min for 5 time , and if the voltage is always above 6v or even 6.5v , do i have to worry ??
Old 12-09-2008, 12:53 PM
Tech Champion

You can easily run a 5 minute race with any lipo. In my b44 running a 5.5 I get close to 15 minutes of runtime so if you just time your runs for 10 minutes or less you should be ok if you use a 5000mah lipo.

What motor are you running with your gtb?
Old 12-09-2008, 01:03 PM
Tech Addict

You can easily run a 5 minute race with any lipo. In my b44 running a 5.5 I get close to 15 minutes of runtime so if you just time your runs for 10 minutes or less you should be ok if you use a 5000mah lipo.

What motor are you running with your gtb?
Im running a 3.5 BL nosram with my original gtb but im going to get a 13.5 BL to run with the lipo in my original gtb .
Should i really worry of my lipo going below 6v in a 5 min race with a 13.5 ?
Old 12-09-2008, 01:07 PM
Tech Champion

You should be able to run 20 minutes with a 5000mah lipo on a 13.5 Just top it off between races and you have no worries. Also, make sure you don't leave the lipo plugged into the esc when you go to put it away. Even when "off" there is a small current that is drawn that will pull the pack below 6v if left for a very long time
Old 12-09-2008, 01:53 PM
Tech Addict

You should be able to run 20 minutes with a 5000mah lipo on a 13.5 Just top it off between races and you have no worries. Also, make sure you don't leave the lipo plugged into the esc when you go to put it away. Even when "off" there is a small current that is drawn that will pull the pack below 6v if left for a very long time
Ok , thanks for your help , now i can run with lipo , im so happy , thanks you very much for your help.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.