Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting back into racing

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 11:21 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Getting back into racing

I stopped racing buggies in the late '80's and want to get back into racing, but on-road. I'm looking at getting the Schumacher mi3.5. Does this car have most of the upgrades one would get if they got an inexpensive model? I'm looking for a really good car to start with. Thanks for your help!
Old 01-18-2009, 01:28 PM
Tech Addict

Tamiya 416 or 416WE !!!
Old 01-18-2009, 01:33 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Talking

TA05IFS-R
Old 01-18-2009, 02:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by glider72
I stopped racing buggies in the late '80's and want to get back into racing, but on-road. I'm looking at getting the Schumacher mi3.5. Does this car have most of the upgrades one would get if they got an inexpensive model? I'm looking for a really good car to start with. Thanks for your help!
You should see what the racers at your local track are running before you buy a car . That way they can help you with setup and also might be easier to get spare parts .
Old 01-18-2009, 03:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I would have to 2nd that. I've seen the product of buying before going to the track and finding out what the local guys run. Beleave me it usaully ends up with alot more start up cost along with many headaches without setups or tuning tips
Old 01-18-2009, 09:23 PM
mok
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

i gotta say i dont agree with the view that you should see what everyone else is running, but i do agree with seeing what parts are supported locally..

i think its best to learn how to tune your own car as much like chassis being different, so are racers and its not always the best approach to copy someone else's setup etc..

for this reason, i would suggest a car that has good parts support and fits your budget.. if that means running something nobody else does, then do that.. there is nothing wrong with being different, in fact sometimes its what gives you that advantage!

that being said, i'd prob be looking around for a 2nd hand TRF415 and then throwing the TRF416WE setup at it..

</2cents>