R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-16-2009, 08:50 PM   #31
Company Representative
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PitNamedGordie View Post
I understand what your saying but without any tampering when I balance charge my SMC 4000 packs at 1C and they finish the charge @ 8.42 - 8.44. I use a Hyperion charger...so...I thought 8.44 was what lipos peak at normally??
My Hyperion finishes the pack off at 8.38

This is why ROAR has that rule as chargers aren't all calibrated the same. At the moment LRP is the only charger that I know of that you can calibrate yourself so racers have been using these to go to 8.44
Danny/SMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:56 PM   #32
Company Representative
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

One of the problems with heating packs is that the common way to do it has been to wrap them in a heating pad. That can create an issue as the top and bottom cells will get hotter as the heating pad is transferring heat to these cells.

I don't reccomend heating Lipos as it's one more thing racers shouldn't have to worry about.

The best way to do it would be in an oven. I have gone up as high as 180 degrees in an oven with our packs with no issues. This was done for testing purposes and should not be done by anyone.
Danny/SMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:46 PM   #33
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Danny/SMC View Post
18 months or so ago I said when racers start using Lipos you will see how this technology isn't as perfect as everyone claims it to be. Now that it's being used by the racers what I said at that time is has come through. At that time I was accused of propaganda to save my matching business.
In this case, it's not the technology that's flawed, but the "racers" that are willfully and intentionally abusing it.

As for heating, I'm now a fan of making the rule no more than 10F over the ambient temperature. I used to be in favor of heating to help LiPo be on par with NiMH, but in hindsight, It's really not that big of a deal, and an unnecessary complication and hazard.
Adam? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 06:53 AM   #34
Tech Lord
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I would say its just like open can stock if you allow any type of opportunity to tweak,.. a racers nature will be to stretch it.
I would say if heating is an issue any thing over room temp should be banned. As in no heating over normal charging.

I did note my 8000 Maxamp. I pulled it from a 40 degree garage last night into a 70 degree house. By morning at room temp its charge went up 5 volts.

I will add that running this pack after testing personally with the Maxamps. The 8000 mah running a Novak 10.5 with an LRP Sphere TC esc, the starting voltage was 8.40 and after a 5 minute run the ending voltage was 8.16. This was all at room temp and consistent with every round. Now that's pretty consistent voltage at its highest level. I felt like it may be lacking punch from my 6000 or 6500 Maxamp.

BTW All my personal testing was done with Maxamps. I do not mix brands.

My belief is the more restraints there are in the name of fairness the more susceptible we are to this very situation.
Its contradicting but I would ban any type of heating. Even if its under a pit light. Safety as the only guideline.
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote