Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Free spinning drivetrain

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2003, 08:52 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Free spinning drivetrain

I was wondering how some of the cars that i see can spin for 6 or more seconds? i need help.
Old 10-27-2003, 08:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

On which car do you want the free drivetrain?
Old 10-27-2003, 09:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

This has been discussed before on other threads. Please try doing a search next time. This place is like the library sometimes. The answer's there, you just gotta find it

Thread > How Free is Your Drivetrain
Old 10-28-2003, 04:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Sure...there's information all over this site....

unfortunately sometimes a lot of that information is buried in threads that are thousands of posts long.
Old 10-28-2003, 06:07 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Windsorguy99
Sure...there's information all over this site....

unfortunately sometimes a lot of that information is buried in threads that are thousands of posts long.
Well, then it would be a good thing that the thread that rtypecanare was kind enough to share was short, and filled with information - and relatively short... and you don't have to sort out the other stuff for the information that porky-ninja wants .
Old 10-28-2003, 06:47 AM
Tech Regular

Here is a video of someones tc3 spinning for a kong time I don't know whose it is though.
clicky
Old 10-28-2003, 07:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

14 seconds.....This is not long at all.My evo3 does that with just the bearings sprayed out but I feel the drivetrain is free but it doesnt effect the cars handling or efficiency as much as we would like to think.Especially on a tc3 where you have to compromise the car to get it that free.My tc3 spins for about 10 seconds and that good enough for me.
Old 10-28-2003, 10:30 AM
Tech Elite

Default Free spinning drivetrain

Guys;

When discussing freespin, it must be understood that with the small amount of power that our Engines/Motors produce, ANY amount of drag causes power to be lost at the Wheels.

Obviously the more power at the wheels, the faster the Car will be. Anything at all that can be done to reduce Frictional loses, will result in improved performance of the Vehicle (No matter what size).
Old 10-28-2003, 02:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Another factor in this equation would also be drag brake. I have noticed that some of the shaft cars have a tendency to push entering a corner, and some belt drive cars have too much steering entering the corner. As a free drivetrain wants to keep spinning, the tires will not loose contact patch with the surface, thus giving more traction(to make the car push). With a drivetrain that is less free, the tires want to stop before the chassis's enitra slows down, thus giving less traction(to make the car more touchey/oversteer)
Old 10-28-2003, 05:29 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Bubblestc3
Another factor in this equation would also be drag brake. I have noticed that some of the shaft cars have a tendency to push entering a corner, and some belt drive cars have too much steering entering the corner. As a free drivetrain wants to keep spinning, the tires will not loose contact patch with the surface, thus giving more traction(to make the car push). With a drivetrain that is less free, the tires want to stop before the chassis's enitra slows down, thus giving less traction(to make the car more touchey/oversteer)
A "Push" (understeer) is caused by having LESS grip at the Front Tires compared to the Rear.

The term "Loose" (oversteer) generally refers to the Rear of the Car having LESS grip. Sometimes the term can also be used to describe less grip at both ends.

Having a free spinning drivetrain with low drag is always a benefit. This is why many R/C manufacturers are moving over to shaft drive designs.