Wiki Posts
Search

What breaks often on your car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 03:45 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default What breaks often on your car?

I was just wondering what breaks on your car often so I know which spares to have handy.

I am guessing tyres are the big thing that you have to replace.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:44 AM
Tech Champion

Would probably be useful to have a few wishbones and rear uprights and steering arms handy if the worst does happen.

Tyres are more of a consumable thing, if you're in the 540 class and just starting up, I wouldnt see the need to have any more than just one spare set to keep you going, if your budget is tight.

Hopefully with the speed of a 540, you wont be breaking too much. Just focus on getting round the track first without crashing. It doesnt matter if your lap times are slow- its better to be slow and not breaking anything, rather than a few fast laps and you have broken the car with no spare parts to hand...

hope that helps
Old 01-12-2009, 04:53 AM
Tech Adept

I know the track pretty well as I raced slow on it with my old car. Now I am going to try going faster and seen as we have a solid concrete wall on the final corner I want to be prepared as I have seen what happens when you hit that wall even at 540 speed.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:11 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I see you have a Cyclone S. Our club has a spec class especially for them so I've seen a lot of what breaks on them.
The C-hubs on those are made of eggshells. First thing I would do is to buy the C-hubs for the regular Cyclone as they are quite a bit stronger (buy a few sets). The part number is 73518 and I believe it's an HPI number rather than a Hotbodies number (being from the Pro 4). The steering knuckles are probably the next weakest thing. They come with a rear hub assembly. Part number is 73507 (again an HPI part number). To reduce the chance of breaking those parts get a kydex bumper. A lot of our racers run the BRP bumper for the TC3 and modify it to fit. It cuts down on a lot of the breakages. The only other things I've seen break of those is the chassis (usually when too strong a bumper is installed) and the steering arm set (HB70708) but not too often.

Apart from that not too much else breaks on those cars. Our track is very hard on cars too so we see the extreme side of things. If you have an open track with forgiving boards then you won't break too much.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:24 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks I'll probably take your advice.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:38 AM
Tech Elite

In short... Anything that's sticking out from the chassis, you should have spares for.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Don't forget about the bearings if you are buying spares. A hit hard enough to break caster blocks, steering knuckles, or suspension parts can also damage the bearings.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer
Don't forget about the bearings if you are buying spares. A hit hard enough to break caster blocks, steering knuckles, or suspension parts can also damage the bearings.
+1 for that. And you can get some spares for $1 each here http://www.avidrc.com. The revolutions work well with the rubber seal facing out and the grease removed.