R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-11-2009, 11:07 AM   #1
Default HPI "D" compound?

Hello all

I bought a set of X pattern D compound tires for one of my models. I've spent almost two hours pouring thru the threads here to find out what type of traction I can get from these, with no avail. I also looked on the internet for about half an hour, only to see results from one person's opinion.

If this topic has been covered on this site before, I apologize. I like the HPI line of 26mm tires, and would like to know what their compounds mean. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Tamiya Frog from 1985 - Kyosho Outlaw Ultima ST - AE RC10T (cow hide LOL) - Tamiya M03-L Mini Cooper - Tamiya 1/24 Tamtech Posche 962C - Tamiya 1/24 Tamtech Ferrari Testarossa - Tamiya TA05-R - AE TC5FT
dragnse7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 02:52 PM   #2
Tech Champion
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

From what I remember, the D compound is a sport/play compound. It's hard and doesn't provide the grip that some others do. The HPI pro compound is softer, and more sticky, so it should provide better overall grip. Operating temperatures I have no clue, but I still think you'd have a better shot with the pro compound.

Pro Spec America/Apex RC - Team ORCA - Awesomatix USA - Roche RC USA - AVID - Sweep - Protoform - Pro-One RC - Slapmaster Tools - Hebiki Design Works - Turtlemaster Racing - Seattle RC Racers - Timezone Hobbies
Korey Harbke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 03:46 PM   #3
Tech Champion
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thats also the compound that HPI uses in the Vintage tires. Not the same tread but the same compound.
www.battlefieldraceway.com Racing videos at http://www.youtube.com/snoopyrc
snoopyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 04:18 PM   #4
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

X-patterns are the spec tire for RCGT here in socal, and they've been working great. It's a 17.5/27T class. If you clean them well and sauce them with Paragon or Buggy Grip they're actually pretty good and last a long time. Some guys prefer D compounds and some prefer the Pro compound, and both are in the A Main of a 40-car field. The Pro compounds are grippier overall but can go off. The D compounds are harder, but stay very consistent throughout your run.
Pete Waydo
2010 Big Fat Turkey Race Mini Cooper AAA Main Champion
*** currently in stasis ***
reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:43 AM   #5
Tech Apprentice
Post Re:

Adding some information to an old thread as I too was curious about these tires.

Controversy is offline   Reply With Quote