Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OLD SCHOOL DOMINATOR????

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 04:21 PM
Tech Initiate

Default OLD SCHOOL DOMINATOR????

i havent raced in 22 years but my ? to u guys is do u any of u remember the the 4wd dominator this was the baddest of the bad back in the day, i just raced locally and this was the vehicle i raced , it cost 800 bucks with no eletronics,how would it compare to todays vehicles for racing, i'm thing of racing my slash i bought for bashing around, but the dominator would give me other options then just one race thanks Rob
Old 12-21-2008, 04:54 PM
Tech Addict

Ah, the old Landgraff car. I remember it well. Here's a good thread with some history, including an appearance by Mr. Landgraff himself.

http://www.dirtoval.com/forums/showt...ear#post174317

I remember seeing them tear up the dirt oval at E&L and thinking it was the coolest thing ever.

Anyway, this was more of a dirt oval car. I'm not sure how competitive it would be on that scene these days, but I don't see it being much of an on-road car compared to today's modern sedans.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:14 AM
Tech Initiate

thanks for the read, probably wouldnt be able to get any parts would be all fab work, but back in the day there was nobody that could hang with me a the track, be nkinda neat to put a brushless system in it,,, by the way what i raced was strictly asphalt oval, that car was literally on a rail, only bad thing was this freakin huge side dam we had to use, it was like 8 inches long by 4 inches tall otherwise u could not get it to go in a straight line
Old 12-22-2008, 11:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

4.5 brushless, lipo, carpet or dirt is ballistic.
Custom works still supports the car, just no distributors stocking so it has to be direct.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Ebay occasionally has parts, as well. Lightweight, simple, no-frills driveline.....should still be a rocket today.

Just finished restoring mine (original, wide chassis, non-braced arms) that I recently found an Open Comp Camaro body for, but have yet to paint it up. My father remembers it being closer to $500 when he bought it, and I remember the Superior SRP-1 being even more....but those magnesium parts sure were pretty
Old 12-23-2008, 01:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

biggest problem is busting chains with all the horsepower available today
Old 12-23-2008, 10:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by siding88
i havent raced in 22 years but my ? to u guys is do u any of u remember the the 4wd dominator this was the baddest of the bad back in the day, i just raced locally and this was the vehicle i raced , it cost 800 bucks with no eletronics,how would it compare to todays vehicles for racing, i'm thing of racing my slash i bought for bashing around, but the dominator would give me other options then just one race thanks Rob
I remember the Dominator. Wasn't the main competition a chain driven car from Superior?

Back in the late 80's i converted my gold tub RC10 to dirt oval with the wedge body and the big ass air dam on the side. I even had the Body painted by Losi's Richard Trujillo when he used to work at a hobby store in the Montebello Mall. It was really cool, but I really enjoyed watching the Modified dirt Sprint Cars tear it up at The Ranch Pit Shop!
Old 12-24-2008, 06:38 AM
Tech Initiate

i will have to check with my uncle cause he was my sponsor at the time and has the car tucked away but i believe he converted it over to belt drive.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:50 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Dominator

Hello, I was reading the chain and just thought I would mention that I used to race on the east coast in the 80's and still have all my gear... 7 Bags to be more specific. included in that is a brand new, never built 4wd Dominator. I was doing searchs on some of the stuff because I was thinking about selling it all and thats how I found this Forum.

Let me know if you know anyone that needs something old school, I also have many new parts for the old cars.

Thanks!
MIke
Old 01-08-2009, 01:35 PM
Tech Master

PICTURES PLEEEEEEEEEASE !
Old 01-08-2009, 02:37 PM
Tech Adept

the dominator was pretty much a early touring car. Chain front and rear from a jack shaft. No diffs and one ways in the front wheels. Dont think the chains would hold up to todays HP. Back in the day one of the local guys took a yokomo c4? and put a CF chassis like a dominator on it with short shocks and cleaned up. Had belt drive insead of the chain. while the belts would not free wheel as long as the chains, they were more efficient under power. Belt drive was sealed so it didnt build up dirt on the pulleys like the Hirobo's did.

This was 1700 mah SCE's with 10 turn motors.

John