Wiki Posts
Search

Current motor outdated by improved technology

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 12:40 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Current motor outdated by improved technology

I know we all have been in the predicament where our gadgets are outdated every year due to rapid advancement in technology. Being in the market for my first motor and speedo, I'm hunting for a solution for same problem:choosing a motor when upcoming models offer better performance.

Now with rebuildable motors, is it possible to transform my motor into the latest motor by rebuilding it with the improved components?

Would it be cheaper than purchasing the new motor altogether?

Any input is appreciated
Old 02-15-2011, 02:18 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

It would be cheaper to buy new set. Older brushless uses non-sensored motor and there was no timing advance back in the days. Since LRP SPX and then the Tekin RS boost wars, the technology hasn't changed as dramatic, maybe due to the recent financial meltdown, which strained everyone out of their luxury spending.

If you want a future proof ESC and motor, get one that has updatable firmware. Nothing much about motor advancement now since most timing and boost can be controlled by ESC.

For beginners, a Cirtix 17.5R combo is a good choice as it is extremely affordable. Alternatively, if you want more performance or speed, if you can handle it, go with the latest firmware-updatable, boost capable ESC with matching brand motor (gives less headache when troubleshooting compatibility isssues).
Old 02-15-2011, 02:36 PM
Company Representative

We have comprehensive Trade-In Programs that allow our customers to return out-dated and damaged electronics (either currently mfg products, or obsolete) and replace, exchange and upgrade into any other current Novak items they want. This is an insurance policy against obsolesense.

We also introduced the first completely rebuildable BL, sensored R/C motors; customers can even design their own customized motors.

Do you have specific ideas about what you're looking for?
Old 02-15-2011, 02:43 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The Tekin RS series is pretty future proof. Runs both sensored and sensorless and the firmwire can be updated.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:05 PM
Tech Adept

Cool. Thanks for the info.

So for just starting out in electric touring stock, what features should I be looking for in an ESC? Im a pretty quick learner so complex programing isnt too much of problem for me.

Any advice?
Old 02-15-2011, 06:39 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

no timing all the esc are the same but where some surpass others are the small things,some one posted today or yesterday that they did back to back runs with 2 different esc and the same motor and the rs ran 30* cooler.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:51 PM
Tech Adept

Interesting. I will validate in Tekin RS thread.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Thumbs up

The Tekin RS series is one of the few modern esc that can run "Brushed" as well as BL sensored or sensorless motors.
The software is very stable, and free updates have kept it at, or near the front of the pack since it's inception over 2 years ago.

It has a smaller footprint, and is lighter than most in it's class as well.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:40 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Tekin speedo and you wont be obsoleted for very long (if ever).

Motors haven't really changed a whole lot in the last few years. Hell the original Duo 1 is still a fast motor.