Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
How do you plug this ps into a wall socket? >

How do you plug this ps into a wall socket?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do you plug this ps into a wall socket?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2003, 12:37 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Question guys. Just got my PS in the mail, and chopped the end off my extension cord from wal mart but I've hit a minor snag. Its a pretty nice quality 3 wire cord, but only the ground wire is marked (printed on the insulation), the other 2 wires have no markings whatsoever. For AC does the polarity matter? If it does I think I'm gonna have to go buy another extension cord... cause I have no way of knowing which is + and which is - on this one (both male ends are identical too...).
Old 12-31-2003, 02:12 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by psbarger
Question guys. Just got my PS in the mail, and chopped the end off my extension cord from wal mart but I've hit a minor snag. Its a pretty nice quality 3 wire cord, but only the ground wire is marked (printed on the insulation), the other 2 wires have no markings whatsoever. For AC does the polarity matter? If it does I think I'm gonna have to go buy another extension cord... cause I have no way of knowing which is + and which is - on this one (both male ends are identical too...).
Yes, you must absolutely know which is which. Most cables work on a color code, where black or brown is hot (line) white or blue is cold (neutral) and green is ground.

If that fails, hot will be connected to the narrow blade, and neutral to the wide one. Ground is the U shaped prong at the bottom. A DMM will tell you which is connected to each wire.

-dave
Old 12-31-2003, 04:21 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Darn. This cord doesn't have wide or narrow prongs on the male end, they're all narrow. Shouldn't they be standardized on which connects to where? Like say looking into a female socket:

| |
O

Which one is which? Bottom round is ground, but what about the left and right top ones?

Thanks alot for the help.
Old 12-31-2003, 05:53 PM
Tech Initiate

Use an ohmeter to decide which wire goes to each blade. Sam
Old 01-01-2004, 12:05 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by psbarger
Darn. This cord doesn't have wide or narrow prongs on the male end, they're all narrow. Shouldn't they be standardized on which connects to where? Like say looking into a female socket:

| |
O

Which one is which? Bottom round is ground, but what about the left and right top ones?

Thanks alot for the help.
Looking at the cord end, with the prongs facing you, they go:

hot neutral
ground

-dave
Old 01-01-2004, 02:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default cosel power supply

these little things absolutely kick! i bought one and i'll tell you take your time wire it nice and neat(i put an on off switch on mine also) and you have a compact power supply w/ adj. voltage and they'll go alot higher than 13.8v if need be. i dont see why anybody would spend there money on an overpriced ps just because it is an rc brand name on it. these things are super solid and for under$20.00! not bashing on novak, rivergate etc. but if the cosel unit will give you the supply of power you need buy one and the guy on ebay selling them is awsome he ships fast and is a trustable guy.
Old 01-03-2004, 11:00 AM
Tech Regular

Default heres mine...

i used a computer power cord(since i have like a million),and it works fine!!!i dunno what to use to connect it to my charger though?besides alligator clips,what else can i use?

thanks to dpaton for his patience on helping me!!!
Attached Thumbnails How do you plug this ps into a wall socket?-dsc00531.jpg  
Old 01-03-2004, 11:01 AM
Tech Regular

Default ...

front...
Attached Thumbnails How do you plug this ps into a wall socket?-dsc00532.jpg  
Old 01-03-2004, 11:01 AM
Tech Regular

Default last...

side view...
Attached Thumbnails How do you plug this ps into a wall socket?-dsc00533.jpg  
Old 01-03-2004, 11:39 AM
Tech Regular

Default Re: last...

Looks great Church. Glad to be of assistance

-dave
Old 01-03-2004, 12:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

This is funny. I just came up from down stairs after finishing my charging station. I just got my Cosel power supply installed after receiving it yesterday (the 2nd). I really love it. I cant beleive it was so cheap, and it will beat most power supplies with a hobby name on it you will find for less than $100! Here are some pics of my set up.

Front:
Attached Thumbnails How do you plug this ps into a wall socket?-front-small.jpg  
Old 01-03-2004, 12:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Power Supply Close Up:
Attached Thumbnails How do you plug this ps into a wall socket?-power-supply-small.jpg  
Old 01-03-2004, 12:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Back:
Attached Thumbnails How do you plug this ps into a wall socket?-rear-small.jpg  
Old 01-03-2004, 12:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

And Side:
Attached Thumbnails How do you plug this ps into a wall socket?-side-small.jpg  
Old 01-03-2004, 12:33 PM
Tech Regular

Default switch

Originally posted by etzkev
This is funny. I just came up from down stairs after finishing my charging station. I just got my Cosel power supply installed after receiving it yesterday (the 2nd). I really love it. I cant beleive it was so cheap, and it will beat most power supplies with a hobby name on it you will find for less than $100! Here are some pics of my set up.

Front:

whats is the switch for and how did you connect it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.