Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Better Batteries to Sponsored Drivers... >

Better Batteries to Sponsored Drivers...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Better Batteries to Sponsored Drivers...

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2003, 02:12 PM
Tech Elite

guys the difference between 1.17 and 1.20's isnt much considering that they can charge at a lower rate because the motors are getting to hot hence the fans also they have the abilaty to play with motor time to get power for the lower vltages
rember in modified the important # is the run time!
in stock and 19t i can see where i would want that high vltage i run for xspower a small company here in florida he doesnt play with the numbers i have mid to hight 1.17's with any where from 430 to 445 rund time we have taken other companies batts (no name cough cough) and found their 1.17 were actually 1.15's and the their 425 run times were ac tually 398's
i can say this much the majority of the big companies are diffenitlly inflating their #'s for improving sales. we all need to watch what we buy. guys its very difficult to actually get batteries that are in the 17's infact 75% of the batteries i have seen without giving them to much abuse during matching procedures is about mid 1.15's to mid 1.16's thats the truth.
those !.20's are like 1 cell out of 1,000
cells. and the guys that get them are like the top 2 percent of the racing elite
after they have run them they have to give them back to get reconditioned and looked after carefully in a vault till the next race because there aint that many of those packs.
these guys go back home and play with 1.17's ( real ones) with about 430 run times. because i seen it with my own eyes and i am friend with a couple of them.
guys other then they get free stuff
they really dont get that really far out stuff other then at the real big venues.
Old 10-23-2003, 04:18 PM
N4S
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Whos batteries do you run , victors ?
Old 10-23-2003, 04:44 PM
Tech Elite

I have 7 SMC packs. I have done extensive testing on them. I am pretty sure the packs are not scued. I think the average GP cell is going to be around 1.17 They are ALL good cells, except for the occasional bunk cell.
Old 10-23-2003, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

It's true that the big companies have been saving their best cells for their best drivers for a long time now, & I can understand it. After all, if you were them, would you want to see your best driver lose a big race because your biggest competitor had found some noticably better cells & saved them but you didn't? I realize that we're talking a matter of inches here, but from what I've seen at some big races(like the Novak TC Champs), it frequently DOES come down to that, because the competition is SO intense at that level. Really, it also show how much all batteries have improved(even for our use), because I think the cells that WE can buy are actually closer to what the elite drivers can get than we used to have access to, & I know that I'm definitely not that level of driver, so I wouldn't be able to make full use of cells like that anyway(& the cells we can get now are SO much better than they were 10 years ago for the same price).....
Old 10-23-2003, 05:15 PM
Tech Elite

It all depends on what the matchers do and who they sponsor or how many people they sponsor. My friend just bought 1.182, 1.184 and 1.187 from Promatch. I am getting 1.182 and 1.184 packs from ZX Racing soon. All the runtimes are above 425 for both matchers. While supply is not always there to turn out 1.19 and 1.2 cells like Trinity and SMC do, they still have great cells. A while ago I contacted all the bettery matchers that you see here on the Forum. ZX racing had a ton of 1.175-1.180+ packs but they sold out in less then three hours...now he has them on backorder for the 1.175+ cells. Fukuyama was the same way..contacted them and they just sold out of their 1.170-1.179 packs but Fukuyama at the time had more cells that they were going to be able to get some of those 1.170-1.179 so I went with them.

Now the mainstream matchers have done the smart thing and I like this. ZX Racing, Promatch, Fukuyama, Kentix and others have broken down packs by .005.... so you can get 1.160 - 1.164, 1.165-1.169, 1.170-1.174. This is better for the consumer because when they shell out $60 for 1.170-1.179 they may get all their packs that are 1.170..no fun in expecting a couple of good packs and getting hit with the lower end one.
Old 10-23-2003, 05:29 PM
Tech Master

Speaking from a Matcher's standpoint.

There are a few but quite frankly very few ULTRA AWESOME cells that we do keep. These are like 1 cell in very 1200 cells being processed. Most of the time, these cells will be pulled because you can not find other cells to match them. and unless you do 3000+ cell a week, you're NOT going to get that UTLRA AWESOME cell. I've heard from a local GP distributor that some matchers only match a case or two a month. Now THAT, I don't see it having a good chance to get a pack together. The hardest part is to know what to do with them when you DO have them. We've been saving them all along and when a pack or two is saved and matched, we'd shipped them out to our drivers. And because we're still considered a small matcher by the industrie's standard, we don't have drivers like Masami or Cyrul or Baker. Hence, our National level drivers gets to have the ultra best. The only problem is, these batteries requires a lot higher maintenence so an average racer who can afford these packs normally won't know what to do with them. Sometimes these batteries are harder to take care of then to bring a 3 year old toddler to the track and constantly monitoring his/her every move. But once the drivers are taught the correct ways to handle these, then its just pure power!. These are 1.195+ I'm speaking of.

Every matcher including Jimmy and myself would like our drivers to win, but considering this is only part of the solution. A driver would need to have both the skills and knowledge along with years of experiences to pull off a win and the MOST, most important thing for a driver is to recuperate from a bad position when he gets knocked around and falls back behind. Since those who DO know batteries knows that a slight bump will send the voltage spiking mad as hell and burp on its output, the driver will really have to compensate and rely on the car and his skill to take the car back in control. LOL..

Now being a matcher, the only true perks is that I can keep a pack or two of these just to bash. But I did sacrafice it with long hard hours and cold cash investments just so I can run a couple of these packs because I'm not Masami, Baker or Cyrul.

Just for what its worth.

So

Dan

Last edited by Maj. Teeth; 10-23-2003 at 05:35 PM.
Old 10-23-2003, 05:52 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I dont think it's as bad as it used to be on the batteries for the team guys,The funny thing is that most of the team drivers at smaller races and club races use the same batteries as the rest of us get(number wise).Mo brought up Loyd Dassonville's name and at the NORRCA Ca. state champs. race(on road)Loyd was pitting next to me,I had just bought 3 packs of Reedy X cells(GP's)I was wondering how much better cells the pro's get than us "other" racers get,but to my surprise the packs I had just bought were better than the ones he was using,voltage and run time..
Old 10-23-2003, 05:52 PM
Tech Elite

Maj Teeth is correct.. the yeild of High End cells that are VERY VERY high end will not be seen by many matchers and if they do see them then it will take them a while to get 1 4 cell or 6 cell pack.

I know a matcher right now that had a ton of1.185-1.190 cells...only downside... 325-345 runtime
Old 10-23-2003, 05:58 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by mike_Webb
Maj Teeth is correct.. the yeild of High End cells that are VERY VERY high end will not be seen by many matchers and if they do see them then it will take them a while to get 1 4 cell or 6 cell pack.

I know a matcher right now that had a ton of1.185-1.190 cells...only downside... 325-345 runtime
We too had a ton of them but luckly for both of us, a couple of drag racers emailed me and we sold them all to this guy. He's got like 60 packs of these. LOL

Dan
Old 10-23-2003, 06:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by stormperson
Also ALL battery companies (or at least big ones) black out (like in a CIA document, lol) the numbers on the cells they give out at big races. So no one knows how good the cells they are getting actually are.
I'm going to do that to my 1.13's .
Old 10-23-2003, 06:56 PM
Tech Master

one pipe and 1.195 means nothing! why does it bother people that pros get good stuff? does a local oavl racer need dale jr.s dega motor? if we were all as good as barry baker we would get real top of the line stuff..but were not that 10%..buy only what you can afford and practice and work on your car..dont think the race is lost because some guy has 475 sec 1.20 batteries..that is not where the race is won..every racer in the A main at a national event has top of the line stuff..so in the end they are racing on equal ground..they all have 1.20 cells and custom mod motors..they need it and they deserve it..they stayed up late for years practicing and wrenching to get where they are..

dont hate the player..hate the game!
Old 10-24-2003, 07:06 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally posted by xxxkat
I dont think it's as bad as it used to be on the batteries for the team guys,The funny thing is that most of the team drivers at smaller races and club races use the same batteries as the rest of us get(number wise).Mo brought up Loyd Dassonville's name and at the NORRCA Ca. state champs. race(on road)Loyd was pitting next to me,I had just bought 3 packs of Reedy X cells(GP's)I was wondering how much better cells the pro's get than us "other" racers get,but to my surprise the packs I had just bought were better than the ones he was using,voltage and run time..
If you remember that race my so called "tricked" Integy packs held up and beat so Reedy factory packs and Trinity packs. The newer GP's are so good these days that there isn't really a better battery company out there. They all are good. Most of the big battery wars came with nicads and the start of nihm. My advice to a racer looking to buy some new packs is save yourself some cash by shopping for the best buy. The race isn't won on the battery labels. What you save on a pack you can put that towards a better motor or more tire's, etc....
Old 10-24-2003, 08:14 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by STLNLST
If you remember that race my so called "tricked" Integy packs held up and beat so Reedy factory packs and Trinity packs. The newer GP's are so good these days that there isn't really a better battery company out there. They all are good. Most of the big battery wars came with nicads and the start of nihm. My advice to a racer looking to buy some new packs is save yourself some cash by shopping for the best buy. The race isn't won on the battery labels. What you save on a pack you can put that towards a better motor or more tire's, etc....
I sort of want to disagree, there is a difference in the way the cells are process and the voltage. Although the new GP 3300 are good, they still need to be worked on before seeing results.

Dan
Old 10-24-2003, 03:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

You mean using the "CORE enhancement technology" right?