H.A.R.D. Automatic Tire Truer

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 12:20 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default H.A.R.D. Automatic Tire Truer

Has anyone tried this ??

http://www.teamtrinity.com/team_magi...tiretruer.html

Impressions? It's seems a very good deal to someone who races touring and 1/12 (and doesn't true tires so frequently)... and lightweight

Any comment is welcome. Thanks!
Old 09-05-2007, 12:27 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

It's alright. The small size is nice, but it's noisy. In hindsight, I should have got the Hudy. This truer's lack of a depth gauge is maddening. Here's a little mini-review I wrote a while ago.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=160941
Old 09-05-2007, 12:31 AM
Tech Lord

The truer seems to build up a static charge while cutting tires, presumably from the friction. If you touch it, sometimes it will shock you and make the device reset (stop cutting) in the process. It's really kind of lame.

Also, the carrying case has the most funky, god awful smell to it. I can't explain it, but it's bad. I still catch a whiff from my F8 bag now and then (even though the truer has stayed home for months now) and throw up in my mouth a little bit each time.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:36 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by syndr0me
The truer seems to build up a static charge while cutting tires, presumably from the friction. If you touch it, sometimes it will shock you and make the device reset (stop cutting) in the process. It's really kind of lame.

Also, the carrying case has the most funky, god awful smell to it. I can't explain it, but it's bad. I still catch a whiff from my F8 bag now and then (even though the truer has stayed home for months now) and throw up in my mouth a little bit each time.
Did you try to wash it??

Anyway, is it really lightweight? I'm not a foam guy really, here we ran 5-cell and on the regionals we can use nitro foams, but it seems we will go back to rubber, thus I don't want to spend much on something I will not use so frequently (there is always a chance that I go nitro anyway... although it's very messy )

the thing is I can get this unit for around 200 euros and a Hudy is almost the double...

Last edited by rampal; 09-10-2007 at 01:26 AM.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:38 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by rampal
Did you try to wash it??

Anyway, is it really lightweight? I'm not a foam guy really, here we ran 5-cell and on the regionals we can use nitro foams, but it seems we will go back to rubber, thus I don't want to spend much on something I will not use so frequently (there is always a change that I go nitro anyway... although it's very messy )

the thing is I can get this unit for around 200 euros and a Hudy is almost the double...
It might be the right choice for you then. It's much smaller than other truers, especially if you remove the battery trays and run it from a power supply. Also, it's got two motors, so it does a pretty good job at cutting down tires fast.

It might be worth getting the improved cutters they offer for it, they offer a nice finish.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:58 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by syndr0me
It might be the right choice for you then. It's much smaller than other truers, especially if you remove the battery trays and run it from a power supply. Also, it's got two motors, so it does a pretty good job at cutting down tires fast.

It might be worth getting the improved cutters they offer for it, they offer a nice finish.
wanna sell me yours?? PM me.... thanks!
Old 09-05-2007, 01:01 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by rampal
wanna sell me yours?? PM me.... thanks!
Heheh, naaa, it's adequate for my needs. I don't use the truer often enough to justify getting a more expensive one now.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:25 AM
Tech Addict

Anyway, just got mine from Trinity, US$170 plus shipping .... it seems Trinity and TeamMagic broke their agreement (check http://www.teamtrinity.com/news.html#TMW) and they are liquidating the TM/H.A.R.D stuff in stock....
Old 09-10-2007, 02:18 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Can someone please check if its possible to true 1/10 pan car tires (does the truer have enough travel)??
They're 50mm/2" wide. I'll make an adapter if necessary...

Cause 170$ is one hell of a deal.

Thx
Old 09-17-2007, 10:28 AM
Tech Elite

I use a Hudy 235 arbor/adaptor for my quick release wheels on my G4S.
I true 1/10 tyres and 235mm tyres for guys with no hassles at all.
The truer has given me no hassles at all and works like a charm.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:34 AM
Tech Addict

syndrome, you mention in your review that you solved the slop issue on the truer.... can you please elaborate on the subject? thanks!

I figured I should update and say that I found a way to tighten things up and make the truer work the way you would expect. It had no trouble at all taking a new tire down to 60mm in a single cut using the 2mm cutting blade and a 12v/24A power supply. I imagine it could probably cut a little more in its first pass if I really wanted to, especially if I put the 3mm cutter on there. You could hear it bog down slightly on the harder front tires, but nothing like, say, the Integy does if you try cutting that deep. This truer uses two motors for its main drive which seems to give it plenty of grunt.

I'm MUCH happier with the truer now, and feel great about the purchase. I don't see anybody in the US that carries it also carrying their special cutting bits, but they seem to work really well. My biggest complaint about the whole thing is the lack of a definitive depth gauge. The numbers on the little knob don't seem to mean anything, and the amount of slack in it is a little hard to get used to.
regards,
al

Last edited by rampal; 09-18-2007 at 08:38 AM. Reason: add quote
Old 09-21-2007, 04:57 AM
Tech Addict

Well mine arrived yesterday. Needless to say, I am dissapointed with it as it has a lot of slope OOB... thus I´ve opened it and change all plastic bushing with bearings, been able to reduce all slope on the auto mechanism.... Now I am very happy with this part at least....

nevertheless, the main motor axle seems to be not fully aligned, been noticeable some movement (not slope, it is very tight).... is that normal? shouldn't that be perfectly perfect??
Old 01-05-2009, 10:02 PM
Tech Rookie

Default H.A.R.D Tire Truer V.S Huddy Auto

For about a month i've been borrowing my teammates truer at the track.
what a pain. Alway's having to find a Power Source and when nothing is around have to resort to using the car battery. So for about a month i've been working with the Hudy Auto Truer. Nice machine great build quality. We run 1/10th nitro so really don't have the need for 1/8th Foam's Trueing. We'll $500 buck's is alote for a truer. Then you have to purchase the bit, and arbor so that can cost you close to $100 buck's more. And all were doing is cutting tires. I Purchased the H.A.R.D truer for about $125. off ebay new. It came with the cutter, arbor for 1/10th and a arbor for 1/12 scale. And a Bag to carry. And it does the job just as well as the huddy no difference. not enough to justify spending 475 more for a H.U.D.Y. With 2, 7.2v 4600battery's, i'm at the track all day. so yea no having to hunt down power sources. and can really keep up after the qualifyer. making sure your front foam's are alway's a 1mm lower then the rear being that the rear alway's tends to wear more the the from foam's. For the money you can't beat it. Quality wise it's up it's not a cheap flimsy machine. The only one thing i noticed and had to do some work one was one of the nobb's were lose. I just removed it put an o-ring in between the nobb and space were it mount's and it work's like a charm. Perfect cutting. and has every feature the huddy as. and is actually easyier to use. That's my opion my freinds.

It's jst a great personal tire truer.